Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how's your power bill?

Thanks

Default how's your power bill?

i don't own a PS 3 but am sure interested in how power hungry these things are.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Why don't you just look the specs up???
    I own a PS3, i am too scared to turn it on most days... and i try and keep games to a minimum, often turning the unit off before the game is finished.

Of course as i am so worried about Power Comsuption and the collection of Black Balloons at my front door, i also turn off my nice large flat panel display.... so i can't see the game or the XMB anyway.

Thanks

Wow I didn't know this,

thanks for the link to the article.

I am getting a new 40in sony lcd and ps3 early next week, but I am not going to turn them on when I use them because they use too much power.

cheers

Thanks

ROFL your pc takes more power then ps3... haha my bill about 800s b4 i had a ps3/xbox... and now even when the xbox and ps3 on roughly 8hrs/day with the kids, i still get the same bill costage... might just have to worrie about over heating...

Thanks

Thats it. I'm getting a smaller refrigerator so the playstation costs less to run.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

i dont have any playstations or those things, but i got 3 puters also 2 fridges, 2 freezers, electric hot water, no electric cooking, no A/C or heaters,

just got my light bill for the quarter, it was $790, was a raise of $150 over the last one, noticed down the bottom there was a 5.83% rise, if they dont get you one way, they get you the other.

Thanks

wtf.. how you get that high with just thoses thing... i'm runing 2pc, 1fridge/freezer, electric hot water/cooking, 4ac/heater (when ever needed) 4 hdtv 84inch (2 of them is always on (austra)) and not to mention all 4 tv is on from 3.30pm-10.pm every day along with xbox/ps3....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shijku View Post
    wtf.. how you get that high with just thoses thing... i'm runing 2pc, 1fridge/freezer, electric hot water/cooking, 4ac/heater (when ever needed) 4 hdtv 84inch (2 of them is always on (austra)) and not to mention all 4 tv is on from 3.30pm-10.pm every day along with xbox/ps3....
    i have no idea, only got it last thursday, but am trying to find out.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My Power Bill is $115 with a 2.4Kw heater that never turns off for the 4 months of winter, plus 2 x fridges, 1 x deep freeze, 2 x Receivers, PS3 and Elec Hot Water.

And i leave the windows open

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    My Power Bill is $115 with a 2.4Kw heater that never turns off for the 4 months of winter, plus 2 x fridges, 1 x deep freeze, 2 x Receivers, PS3 and Elec Hot Water.

for the extension cords that run to the communal laundry, paid for by the landlord...

Hehehehe.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Only one problem with that... i am the landlord

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

You forgot to mention the 6 dreamboxes
    And I bet biggeorge is right, you might be your own landlord but you're running an extension lead or two to the neighbours

Thanks

My power bill was always around $200 maximum in an all-electric house.

I moved to a new place and have the same refrigerator, microwave, TV, washing machine but now do very little workshop stuff including welding, drilling, angle-grinding etcetera...and my power bill is $376. I also now turn everything off (at the wall socket) gear which is not in use, and have installed CFL lighting (lighting is bugger-all anyway)

The only thing different is that this new place has a digital-type power meter. The 'J' tariff for the storage hot water system is only $35 a quarter which is close to the usage I had at the previous premises - note that this is a pure resistive load on the mains.

I just can't believe the difference, had the local power utility mob check the meter but they just use a resistive load device for a few minutes. I reckon the meter reads high on reactive loads and switchmode power supplies etc., but how can I prove this ?

It is also possible HF Amateur Radio RF power is making the meter count excessively, but this is difficult to prove.

I would really like to put an old-style mechanical meter in series with the digital thing but the electricity supplier won't allow this.

You can't beat the bastards.

Thanks

180 bucks last time cause they read it wrong.Its always around 500.
    This time its 1100 bucks.
    Not happy and making them wait a bit lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    180 bucks last time cause they read it wrong.Its always around 500.
    This time its 1100 bucks.
    Not happy and making them wait a bit lol
    Because they have your last meter reading, which was read wrong, but when read again now for the next bill, you pay the difference - so the bigger bill is making up for what was missed last time.

My last bill was $460 for Elec, but $600 for Gas (central heating, gas HW, BBQ). I may have more electronic gadgets than most - Sony HD CRT projector chews up some juice, + 46" LCD, PS3, Xbox, Home theatre, PC's, pool pump 4-8hrs a day, washer, dryer , elec oven etc + electronics workshop , which usually has multiple items running most days.

Plus the wife no longer works and is home now with the first born, so TV cops more of a workout. Elec up 10% more than same time last year, when wife was working.

Thanks

If this is the truth which I very much doubt I wouldn't be saying this to loudly because if your Electricity supplier see's it you will get a visit real quick

The reason why , You say you use your 2.4KW heater ( never off for 4 months in winter with windows open )

Bit of basic maths 2.4KW x 24 Hrs = 57.6KWH x 12.67 cents per KW ( cheapest in Australia WA ) = $7.30 Per Day

Lets say you get your bill monthly $7.30 x 30 days = $218.93 Per Month , this is not including anything else in your house just the heater alone and you are saying your power bill is $115.00 !!

In WA power bills come every 60 days and in most eastern states every 90 days

So your actual bill would be $656.80 if you live in the eastern states , Still only for your heater , so lets get generous and say you exaggerated a bit and only use your heater for a 3rd of the time you say ( 8 hrs per day )
    it's back to $218.93 again for each bill .
    Lets keep in mind you also have elect hot water , the most power hungry consumer appliance available , typical heating consumption is 4.5KW , nearly twice as much as your heater!

Going on the appliances you mention and the usage you claim your actual bill would be closer to $1115.00 Per Bill .

Unless your meter has rusted up , or been partially bypassed , you must have a supply coming from somewhere else to ever get a bill for $115.00

This is only $1.27 per day or 10KWH per day , being very conservative that wouldn't even be enough to supply everything else you have even if you didn't have a heater at all.

Thanks

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKK !

I want oceanboy's meter !

.....and yes - I wouldn't go shouting your power usage around oceanboy !

I am certain I get charged much more than I should, even though South Australia's price is nearly double that of W.A. at 20-something cents/kWh

I get charged for 7 units per day if EVERYTHING is turned off, including the microwave oven clock and all plugpacks, modem (everything) - except my refrigerator. The refrigerator uses about 150W when it's actually running, with a duty cycle of perhaps 20%. It's a 4 year-old refrigerator in perfect condition.

There is no 'hydro' setup in the ceiling......it's got me stuffed how the meter, supposedly 'tested' at my expense, records this use. What I think I will do is empty the refrigerator and go away for a week turning the power off at the meter box. Maybe someone somewhere will complain of loss of service !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKK !

I want oceanboy's meter !

.....and yes - I wouldn't go shouting your power usage around oceanboy !

I am certain I get charged much more than I should, even though South Australia's price is nearly double that of W.A. at 20-something cents/kWh

I get charged for 7 units per day if EVERYTHING is turned off, including the microwave oven clock and all plugpacks, modem (everything) - except my refrigerator. The refrigerator uses about 150W when it's actually running, with a duty cycle of perhaps 20%. It's a 4 year-old refrigerator in perfect condition.

There is no 'hydro' setup in the ceiling......it's got me stuffed how the meter, supposedly 'tested' at my expense, records this use. What I think I will do is empty the refrigerator and go away for a week turning the power off at the meter box. Maybe someone somewhere will complain of loss of service !
    The energy sticker on your fridge should state the yearly usage , ours is 5 star and uses 604KWp year , 1.65KWH Per day = or about 21 cents per day .

A lot of people don't realise this but a Plasma will use between 80 and 220 w depending on brand and model in Standby alone.
    Another one Shops will never talk about is that split Air conditioners use between 70 and 150W in Standby all day everyday .
    So if you think you have everything switched off you often dont .

There are other things people forget about like plug packs in the ceiling to run all sorts of things like Retic Timers , Pool Pump timers , Alarm panels and chargers , Modems , computers in standby ,VCR's , DVD's player etc etc , it all adds up to 7 units pretty quickly

A good rule to remember , anything you turn off with a remote is going to use power when you think it's off .

Thanks

Only one problem with that... i am the landlord
    I didn't even notice this before my first reply to your post , Are you sure the $115 per bill isnt for the laundry alone this sounds more plausible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    The energy sticker on your fridge should state the yearly usage , ours is 5 star and uses 604KWp year , 1.65KWH Per day = or about 21 cents per day .

A lot of people don't realise this but a Plasma will use between 80 and 220 w depending on brand and model in Standby alone.
    Another one Shops will never talk about is that split Air conditioners use between 70 and 150W in Standby all day everyday .
    So if you think you have everything switched off you often dont .

There are other things people forget about like plug packs in the ceiling to run all sorts of things like Retic Timers , Pool Pump timers , Alarm panels and chargers , Modems , computers in standby ,VCR's , DVD's player etc etc , it all adds up to 7 units pretty quickly

A good rule to remember , anything you turn off with a remote is going to use power when you think it's off .
    My plug-in portable power meter reckons the fridge uses 1.5kW/h in 2 days. It's only a small fridge for one person, gets opened only a few times a day.

My meter/supply is separate from that of the main house.

I understand how things work as I have been a electronics technician for 30+ years. My place now is a lined garage with 12 GPOs total and they are all turned off except when in use - either the TV or the PC etc., as I said, the metering just has to be crook !

When the supplier 'checked the meter' they use a purely resistive load, maybe the meter is upset by funny loads/power factor or possibly RF at 1.8/3.5/7/10/14/18/21 MHz. A 5W VHF/UHF handheld transmitting right up at the meter did not upset it....I was hoping it would kill it....maybe I need a loop around the meter and a kilowatt of HF....hehe.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast