Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying files from a memory stick

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Default Copying files from a memory stick

Should be easy, you think.....

I have a heap of files on a 8G memory stick that I need to copy to another device, all mpg video. all file play using VLC or the like. Attempting to copy them to another device for backup produces an error that causes the device to unmount and remount. File copy, of course, immediately falls over. Tried copying using Hiren, UBCD, Linux, XP, Vista and W7.

Any suggestions? These are videos created of old family moments that the lady would not like to lose. The videos were created by her husband who passed away last year, so I have no idea what methods he used. He seems to have backups of everything except this list of files.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Sounds like they have some form of copy protection on the files.

I've seen this type of thing previously, with both video and audio.

My workaround has been to open the files in an editing program, then saving the file without selecting a copyright bit.

Thanks

what make model usb sticks

if the files play ok with vlc then use vlc to transcode (mpg to mpg) on the fly and save the output files onto the hdd

otherwise try cloning (Win32 Disk Imager, Clonezilla etc) the entire memory stick to an image file rather than just copying files from it - then reverse the process to a known good 8gb usb memory stick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

bet your copying more than 1 at a time?
    try that
    or use a recovery program to pull them off the stick in raw mode
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 955 Posts

You could try doing an image of the drive then restore it on another drive ....

I used to do this with all my data backup ..... because some files refused to copy & paste.....

I used to like Norton ghost ...... but it's not as good now as it used to be ...
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

LSemmens
    Thanks

Tried all of that. Tried the transcode in VLC with little success but it seems to hold the most promise of success so may try again. Disk imaging also fell over, so couldn't do anything there. Some files are fine, so I doubt that there was any copy protection included. I tried copying them as a bulk lot and as individuals with no success. Back to VLC

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    My workaround has been to open the files in an editing program, then saving the file without selecting a copyright bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Tried all of that.....
    Which video editing software did you use?

Thanks

i ask what make and model as the last time i had problems with a usb stick unmounting itself while copying large files to or from it was a black toshiba usb memory stick that hadn't been setup properly with the included password security software - small files under 100mb or so were fine

if the software isn't initially run the usb controller chip doesn't get its internal security descriptor bits set - even if you don't want a password or a hidden data partition or a secure wipe if the password is entered wrong after 5 tries, you still need to run the software on this particular toshiba chipset otherwise files over 100mb or so will cause the chip to reset itself with an unmount and remount etc

had to buy a new one to get the software off it and install on the several sticks that had this problem - the manual doesn't mention it but reading the datasheet on the usb flash memory controller chipset specifies that it requires setting up the security bits even if they are all off before use...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (14-09-13),tristen (08-04-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks

No visible identifiers, I suspect a chinese clone. Only some files appear to be the issue. I can actually view some files using VLC whilst others begin and just fall over half way through. I suspect some form of file corruption but it seems to be identical "corruption" in all dud files as those that fall over all seem to automatically unmount and remount the drive in the middle of accessing the file.

LSemmens
    Thanks

As to video editors: VLC, AVS4You, Corel Video Studio Pro x4, DVD Movie Factory for Toshiba, Toshiba DVD Player, Windoze Media Player, along with a few others.

Thanks

try getdata-recover-my-files
    it restored a corrupt thumb drive for me

LSemmens
    Thanks

Getdataback for xxxxx works well for most stuff, but not for this, I've, so far, had most success using unstoppable copier which, at least, let me copy the files. VirtualDub allowed me to recover some of the files though VLC allows me to skip through the file further than any of the other options. Problem is, VLC will not let me save the data.

Banned
    Thanks

Can you right click the files and then send to another drive, or is that a silly question?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Can you right click the files and then send to another drive, or is that a silly question?
    Use instead of Windows Explorer. Win8 ready!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks guys, have tried teracopy and various other copiers. Unstoppable Copier actually backed up the files, so now, the only issue is recovery of the "lost" data. As I said, VirtualDub allowed me to extract data up until the first corrupt point and no further, VLC shows images from beyond the first corruption but does not allow me to save them. Short of taking a screenshot at every scene change (the videos are all just slide shows anyway) I cannot find another way of recovering the data. As there are hours of these, I am not about to spend the next six months doing this as I am sure that I'll not be paid to do it.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Perhaps one last try with Avidemux (free on Windows and Linux but Linux more stable).
    It rebuilds index, key frames automatically on mpg. It also allows lossless editing. I mark the whole video but go one or two step/frames back and place the end marker there and save without encoder (leave the video output set as copy).
    It will also jump over corrupt spots although I am not 100% sure with mpg. The trick is to scrub with the mouse not playback or arrow keys. Sometimes takes a few moments to respond though. Then try to find the next working sequence select with markers and save as copy.
    You can also try a re-encode and it has filters without end.
    I find this little app is a real Swiss knife for buggy videos and simple edits.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-09-13 at 03:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (14-09-13)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks nomeat, will try it.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Avidemux cannot open the file, it could not find the .idx file which it seems to think is part of the .mpg file. It reports "no error" so I can't even search on it. I was cautiously optimistic, oh well, thanks for trying.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Avidemux cannot open the file, it could not find the .idx file which it seems to think is part of the .mpg file. It reports "no error" so I can't even search on it. I was cautiously optimistic, oh well, thanks for trying.
    Avidemux generates the index (idx) file if it is missing.
    If you open an mpg it asks you: "do you want to rebuild the index" then you click yes, takes a few moments but not very long and then you have the idx file.
    I've done it many times.
    Try an older version 2.5 or 2.4. here:

but on Windows they crash sometimes or try Linux if possible but use the version from the repository.

Edit: I just remembered if you opened an mpg and you answered once "no" for the index rebuild it might not ask you again, at least for that particular file.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-09-13 at 05:58 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks, mate, will try again, IIRC, it did not ask me to rebuild anything, I'll give this another try, and if no joy, shall return said memory stick with what I have managed to recover.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast