Thread: Need to 'cleanup' my Nuvi 1390

Thanks

Default Need to 'cleanup' my Nuvi 1390

Hi All,

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 1390 I have been updating the last couple of years from the sources posted on this forum by pietu. I'm not sure that I've been putting the files in the correct places lately though, and not sure which features my 1390 supports (eg 3D, JCV, G2S, speed camera gpi). I have attached a directory listing of my 1390 (with Text, Help, Temp & Voices directories removed to keep size down) if someone who knows this unit is able to tell me which files (and versions) it supports and where they should be put, and also if I have any files on mine that aren't necessary? I would like to get it updated with the latest data and get rid of anything that's not necessary and only download the correct things in future.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by glenb83; 19-09-13 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Wow you sure have been adding some, I've copied your file & I'll edit it to show what's on my 1490T, only difference I know of is screen size.

Just looking at my original 1490 backup config, you've been very busy, so this may take me a while to edit down.

You could start by doing a backup of what you have to a safe place incase you want to put anything back.

You have a lot of vehicles, so choose the few you might use & get rid of the rest.

You have a Map folder in the root of the Device, what's in it?

I'll post back when I've sorted out what you need.

Edit; in the meantime here is the specs of what you have.
    Last edited by Tiny; 20-09-13 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add info
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Default Re: Need to 'cleanup' my Nuvi 1390

Thanks a heap tiny! I'm pretty sure I have an old backup but I'll make a fresh one. l'll also get rid of any extra voices and vehicles. Based on the link you sent it looks like junction view is supported but not 3D.

I've tried to update to the 2014 maps, but the Garmin won't recognise either the navteq or senses maps. I'm using the unlocked image gmapprom.sup file that has always worked before, but now it only shows the old 2013.20 map in map info. Any idea why it won't see the new maps?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes your 1390 has Junction view & Traffic (SQLite), no 3D buildings, no MyTrends (G2S).

Interesting that your 1390 wont recognize new maps, I have both Sensis 2014.20 & Navteq 2014.20 working on my 1490.
    I have one as gmapprom.img in .System folder.
    I have the other as Sensis1420.img in Map folder in root of device which I created. Also in this Map folder is a sub Folder called JCV with this maps latest .JCV file in it.

You have some files in the wrong place & some files you don't need, either old or not for your model GPS (G2S & sid)
    Have made notes next to the files in the uploaded doc.

You have the same .zip file in 2 different places, shouldn't be on your device, have made a ??? note next to them.
    EDIT: just updated my 1490 using Garmin Express & it left behind 2 zip files as well. They were used during the update process of help files & keyboard. I've removed them from mine with no ill effect. So go ahead & remove them.
    None left behind on my 2597. So it's just untidy programing of the update.

Apart from that everything pretty much looks OK.
    You owe me a beer.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Tiny; 21-09-13 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Noted.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

glenb83 (21-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Yes your 1390 has Junction view & Traffic (SQLite), no 3D buildings, no MyTrends (G2S).

Interesting that your 1390 wont recognize new maps, I have both Sensis 2014.20 & Navteq 2014.20 working on my 1490.
    I have one as gmapprom.img in .System folder.
    I have the other as Sensis1420.img in Map folder in root of device which I created. Also in this Map folder is a sub Folder called JCV with this maps latest .JCV file in it.

You have some files in the wrong place & some files you don't need, either old or not for your model GPS (G2S & sid)
    Have made notes next to the files in the uploaded doc.

You have the same .zip file in 2 different places, shouldn't be on your device, have made a ??? note next to them.
    EDIT: just updated my 1490 using Garmin Express & it left behind 2 zip files as well. They were used during the update process of help files & keyboard. I've removed them from mine with no ill effect. So go ahead & remove them.
    None left behind on my 2597. So it's just untidy programing of the update.

Apart from that everything pretty much looks OK.
    You owe me a beer.

Hope that helps.

AWESOME Tiny!! Thankyou so much, I definitely owe you a beer!

I'm going to take a look tonight and clean it up, just got 2 last (quick!) questions for you....

When I download the latest Australian Speed Camera's .gpi do I put it in X:\POI or X:\Garmin\POI or somewhere else entirely? Does it matter what the file is named for Garmin to recognise it as speed cameras too?

When I download the latest JCV file with the 2014.20 Sensis maps, do I get the D2003130A or D3299070A file?

THANKS!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to glenb83 For This Useful Post:

immune (18-10-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Ok speed Camera's go in X:\POI , whatever the downloaded file is named .gpi will be recognised.

Sensis 2014.20 JCV that I am using for 1490 full wide screen view is D2003130A.

Just a quick tip, for 2 City Nav maps of the same area, different map maker (Sensis or Navteq) to work on your device; I have found that it is best to place one in X:\.System folder as gmapprom.img (the primary City Nav map must be named this)
    Its JCV file goes in X:\.system\JCV

I have the other as Anything.img in X:\Map
    Its JCV file goes in X:\Map\JCV (you may have to create this folder).

You may have to rename the download Map image files to suit the placement as the downloads are sometimes named gmapsupp & sometimes gmapprom.

Edit: Of course all of this is in my old Tutorial which I have just had made a sticky (Thanks Admin :-), as it started to slip back due to no new info.

I know that the info in the Tutorial is not as Model specific as some would like; however there is a lot of Garmin GPS to cover.
    Last edited by Tiny; 22-09-13 at 09:43 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

glenb83 (22-09-13)