Thread: Digital Television and radio transmission technician required

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default Digital Television and radio transmission technician required

Looking for a job as a Digital Television and radio (FM & DAB+) technician? Then message me with your experience and credentials.
    Job involves frequent travel.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (03-05-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Wonder if being 'Born under a Wandering Star' (Paint your Wagon) and the ability to sing the Leyland Bros theme might be considered an advantage for the position(s) ?
    Of course, if you liker Lucky Star and 'I've Been Everywhere' would save buying a GPS perhaps.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Looking for a job as a Digital Television and radio (FM & DAB+) technician? Then message me with your experience and credentials.
    Job involves frequent travel.
    Good Luck, there aren't too many around. I'm still trying to fill a position in WA (after many many months)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stump1100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are plenty of Phonies with only analogue experience or not even that.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Where is the work located?
    Regards,
    Chris Williams
    United Installers Group

A group for installers run by installers for installers!

"For too long Corporate has dictated what a jobs worth now its time they knew without installers they have nothing to offer"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CentralWestTech For This Useful Post:

Premium Member

Thanks

Could have done with you here Wednesday when the Wallerawang/Portland translator lost the 3 commercial channels from 9am to 6pm.
    VAST let the Missus watch her episode of the B&tB so all was well.

Its been near 5 months since Beerman posted this so good luck that it may be still available.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stump1100 View Post
    Good Luck, there aren't too many around. I'm still trying to fill a position in WA (after many many months)
    i may be looking for a job soon thinking of closing my shop had enough running my business after getting dun by AWA this year sony last year akai and centrex all cost me $1000s
    i been in the trade for over 40 years since left school had own business for 30, we had the good times but not much money in it today have to be smart go with technology
    have to be service agent for big companies to get info and parts at good prices still agent for LG SAMSUNG PANASONIC and who ever not gone bust lol,
    i am in WA

Chriss

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CHRISS For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Yes, the thread is now 5 months old.

Also, the position is/was for a 'transmission' technician, in case anyone missed it.... not an antenna installer.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yes, the thread is now 5 months old.

Also, the position is/was for a 'transmission' technician, in case anyone missed it.... not an antenna installer.
    Although beerman hasnt replied as yet to advise what the job situation is, from what I remember of his postings, he was/is involved with the installation of digital transmitters (translators) either being changed from Analog to Digital or completely new systems during the recent changeover.
    I remember him saying either he or his company had been submitting proposals to Councils and other 'Self Help' analog TV sites as each area had to decide to either upgrade to Digital or close it down.

Administrator
    Thanks

Given the analogue shutoff was completed nationally some time ago, it would be reasonable to expect any digital upgrades to translator sites would have already been completed, so I doubt there'd be much installation work of those sites outstanding.

Possibly some periodic maintenance.

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, would I be wrong in thinking that the only consistent current work being done would be the retune of most locations during the next 9 months?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV, would I be wrong in thinking that the only consistent current work being done would be the retune of most locations during the next 9 months?
    That would be mostly it, Gordon.

Only beerman can advise if he is still looking for a tech.

Thanks

Well hello there. Sorry I have been absent for quite some time. I have been on the road in SA, WA, QLD, TAS, PNG and the Solomon Islands.

I see there are some assumptions regarding my 5 month old post regarding a DVB-T and radio tech. At the time we had heaps of work on (hence my travel commitments).
    Now however things have definitely slowed down. My clients for DVB-T and Radio are primarily remote communities, councils, mining companies and the hospitality industry (SMATV, MATV, VOD, In-House TV and messaging integration for the Hospitality clients).

But, as I say, things have slowed down quite a bit. We are anticipating more work off shore later this year and we hear on the grape vine that the Abbott Government (particularly Malcolm Turnbull) is in favour of bringing our MPEG2 TV transmission system into line with the rest of the world (i.e. MPEG4 - what do I say 3 yrs ago?). But given the Government talking down spending I am not too confident.

We did anticipate a slow down in 2014 and have re-invented ourselves somewhat. We are doing more in FM installations, remote management and a little frequency re-stack (but that's all but over too). So for now it's maintenance, remote management and FM. Is anyone in the know regarding any progression with DVB-T?
    Last edited by beerman; 24-04-14 at 03:39 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Beerman, Welcome back to the Land of OZ and the workings of the Great and Powerful Wizards but the way ANY Government decides what to spend on often has little connection with reality if they can see some Political Kudos doing so.
    While I really do think Malcom Turnball does know his arse from his elbow in the Technical/Communications field, his stance for the FTTN against FTTH is purely because of Party Political reasons so unless otherwise directed He would most likely see the advantage of implementing MPEG 4 for TV transmission in the future.

Its all be very 'Slowly Slowly' since the elections, partly because of the WA Senate Election stuff up and the Coalition have been playing their cards close to the chest in announcing anything but that most likely will all change once we see what is proposed in the Budget in early May.

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

Yes it's good to be grounded for a while, although I did to a quick WA trip from last Sat till this morning.

Regarding Government spending and prospective spending on MPEG4 you really have to go back to 2009 and re-read Malcolm Turnbull's speech transcripts and other reports.
    His reluctance to deliver FTTH is more than likely becasue the heavy hitter media players (Murdock) and the free to air broadcasters realise that it will deliver better quality, faster and more information that they simply cannot compete with. So they lobby the Government (or then the coalition) to stop it from impacting on their revenue streams and audience numbers.

The argument is that without large scale, wide distribution free, yet structured media the Govenment would not have a maximum reach to most people. The Gen Y kids now already shun TV and newspapers in favor of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and various other services all with little or no political messages or interview at all. So the Govenment loses contact with a huge percentage of the population. Turnbull sees this situation compounding and creating real problems for Govenment and certainly a dramatic negative impact on the large media players. So, he defends them provides them with the means to maintain their dominance (right or wrong).

I think he may actually be quite right. Google some of his old speeches and see what you think. But, fingers crossed the budget does in fact lift Australia's broadcast infrastructure to at least the same quality as NZ.

Cheers,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Closed due to it being a very old job ad. Feel free to start a new thread for any general terrestrial discussion.

Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post: