Thread: Rain water collection area formulae

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Rain water collection area formulae

I have just had the old shed roof repaired after it was damaged last November and now its one slope 7 metres wide by 10 metres long giving an area of 70 square metres.
    The guttering has yet to be done and its planned to drain the roof into tank(s) for non domestic use but I am curious as to how much water a roof of this size could collect given a known fall of rain.
    I am sure I have seen a formulae applied to houses that have no Town Water supply to determine what collection area is needed to fill the required sized tanks.
    I am guessing this formulea would be based on the mean average rainfall which means one year you get nothing to a deluge the next.
    The average rainfall here was around 36 inches a year but mostly in the form of light misty drizzle with the occasional Gully Washers but with the non existent Global Warming it dropped to around 15 inches for several years and although we got 3 years rain in as many months, we're back to less than 24 inches on average.
    Any details would be appreciated.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

36" is around 900mm of rain, this means in that year each m2 will catch 900mm deep of water which is 900L. 900*70=63000l/ year potential.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thanks crazy,
    Sorry I forgot to convert to metric but thats an appreciable amount of water, IF it rains.
    So its the rainfall in mm over a M2 = volume collected.
    I was thinking if it was viable to collect that rainwater and I could use it to flush the Loo and save that cost on the water rates but if the water is collected and basically filtered, it could also be used in the washing machine, food for thought.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink We're mixing Metric with Inches ???

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have just had the old shed roof repaired after it was damaged last November and now its one slope 7 metres wide by 10 metres long giving an area of 70 square metres.
    The guttering has yet to be done and its planned to drain the roof into tank(s) for non domestic use but I am curious as to how much water a roof of this size could collect given a known fall of rain.
    I am sure I have seen a formulae applied to houses that have no Town Water supply to determine what collection area is needed to fill the required sized tanks.
    I am guessing this formulea would be based on the mean average rainfall which means one year you get nothing to a deluge the next.
    The average rainfall here was around 36 inches a year but mostly in the form of light misty drizzle with the occasional Gully Washers but with the non existent Global Warming it dropped to around 15 inches for several years and although we got 3 years rain in as many months, we're back to less than 24 inches on average.
    Any details would be appreciated.
    It then follows that 36 inches equals 0.9 Meters. Over 702 Meters, that's 630 Liters.

Also that 24 inches equals 0.61 Meters. Over 702 Meters, that's 427 Liters.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Rainwater has been drunk for centuries with little effect upon the human populace, in a city, with the pollution as stuff, it might be a little more toxic, now. FWIW, I try and use only rainwater for everything at home, drinking, cooking, cleaning, even flushing. Yes, I do have a couple of good sized tanks, and I do run out occasionally (I have the facility to switch back to town water if necessary)

Thanks

I don't have mains water available and have never had a problem drinking harvested water (18 years now)

Water volume (Litres) = average annual rainfall (millimetre)
    x coefficient of runoff x roof area (metres2)
    A coefficient of runoff of 0.9 can be used to obtain a rough estimate.
    eg: 100 m2 x 550 mm rainfall x 0.9 = 49,500 litres.

Last edited by freakee1; 12-10-13 at 01:26 AM.
    有段者

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

beer4life (12-10-13),Tiny (13-10-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    It then follows that 36 inches equals 0.9 Meters. Over 702 Meters, that's 630 Liters.

Also that 24 inches equals 0.61 Meters. Over 702 Meters, that's 427 Liters.

Not to be a nit-picker but I see a considerable underestimation there.

IE 0.9m over 70 square metres = 63 cubic metres and at 1000 litres/m^3, 63000 litres would be the theoretical maximum yield.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

beer4life (29-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Not to be a nit-picker but I see a considerable underestimation there.

IE 0.9m over 70 square metres = 63 cubic metres and at 1000 litres/m^3, 63000 litres would be the theoretical maximum yield.
    Yes, you are correct.
    I got caught in the middle of Forum
    updating. I did correct it, however that did not stick. By the time I found that, too late to edit again.