Thread: 'portable' Continuous HWS, suppliers?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 'portable' Continuous HWS, suppliers?

For the last 3 or 4 years I have been using a so called 'Portable' 12 Litre Continuous Flow HWS branded RedRock that uses LPG but just recently its been acting a bit erratically and like all things, it may need replacing.
    I changed the batteries, swapped over the regulator, had a look under the cover to make sure nothing had taken up residence inside as I remember a member saying this had happened to them but thats all I can do.
    I cant find the original company I bought this off nor does the brand 'Redrock' come up in google search.
    The only one I have found so far is a place called Country Comfort who sells a similar but smaller flow version so I if anyone has any information on any suppliers of these type of HWS I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-10-13 at 11:04 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Any reason it needs to be portable, is it for caravan use or similar?

Thanks

try contacting this mob they may have some advise on the issues with the
    unit you have as the were selling them earlier this year.

they do have some different brands there that may interest you as well.

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Premium Member

Thanks

I will answer 'Yes' to that question and leave it at that.
    This runs on Batteries for the controls where all the others I have seen require mains (240V) and that isnt available.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Converting a domestic unit to LPG is doable, if you don't have power on site though is obviously a bigger hurdle

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    try contacting this mob they may have some advise on the issues with the
    unit you have as the were selling them earlier this year.

they do have some different brands there that may interest you as well.

Thanks Diavolo,
    They only show electric powered ones on the website, neat but not what I want.

Thanks

Check portable/rentable spa's, operators they use them

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi Gordon, how did you go with the Redrock? Fixed or ditched.

Looking into these type of HWS for the caravan/ shower tent.
    Looking at the following;

some very similar, branding.

Any ideas?
    Any good experience/any bad?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, the original unit is still functioning well but I have no idea why it played up when it did.
    The next day when we turned it on everything was functioning normally again.
    The Rio Grand is identical to the Red Rock unit BUT I see now all of these show a flow rate of 6lpm where mine is 12LPM.
    The non portable ones like Rannai etc show flow rates from 21 to 25LPM so I have no idea how this effects the heaters ability to heat water.
    I am on Mains pressure, not tank or pump.
    One thing I can say is the incoming water temperature definitely affects its ability to heat the water.
    In mid winter on the 'winter' setting, it is pushing to heat the water to 40C which is JUST adequate particularly in my Bathroom which is like a bloody fridge in winter.
    38/39C seems lukewarm, 40/42C is pleasant but 43C+ is becoming uncomfortable, its amazing how small the range of temperatures are between unpleasant and unbearable.
    There would only be a metre of cold water pipe above ground before it enters the unit but our tap water has always been on the cold side even in summer.
    The ambient air temperatures have risen recently as expected and tonight we had to turn the Gas down to about half with the selector on 'Winter'.
    Next time we use it I will turn the selector to 'Summer' and adjust the Gas setting accordingly.

I have definitely had my monies worth out of and its done everything I expected it to but there is one warning I would make and that is to anyone considering installing one similar by themselves is to be aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and ensure the unit is vented and put a flue on it as I did.

They all seem to have an automatic gas cut off after 20 minutes so you soon learn not to linger unnecessarily unless you want to restart it again for another 20 minute soak.
    We have found we can both have a shower in that 20 minute period quite easily and we dont waste Gas or water, both of which costs money these days.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-11-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Gordon, thanks your comments, did some investigating & ended up buying the Rio Grande $280 delivered, should arrive next week.
    While investigating the caravaners forums for problems or positive comments, I came across a thread on the RedRock, which may explain your units erratic behavior.
    A couple of people had a loose wire in the ignition unit. So if it happens again check that or possibly you already did & unknowingly fixed the problem.
    Read more here.
    The discussion starts about post 5 & ends on page 2.

For other people reading this thread & interested in buying one of these units. More info here,

BTW Gordan, was your unit certified as legal for Australian gas appliance regulations, these new ones are claiming they are for portable outdoor installation only?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, You may have hit the nail on the head regarding the ignition wiring.
    When you get your unit, you will see the batteries are fitted into a plastic container accessible from the under side and are bloody pain (for me anyway)
    Now I ALWAYS turn the 'power switch OFF when not in use but unfortunately one of the batteries leaked and typically ate out the plated contacts so I bought an elcheapo plastic torch and removed the old holder and wired the torch in to hold the batteries instead.
    When it played up I did try all my connections just in case and I wondered after if moisture had got onto the connections and over time had made them 'dirty' as it did work eventually.
    But I have noticed with this unit that if it plays up, it seems to want to be left alone for some time,(24 hours) as though to clear any 'memory' which sounds weird.

Yes, I read the instructions VERY carefully which is why I fitted a flue and said in my postings about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
    I also remember cases of fatalities from blocked or corroded flues on the now illegal 'Gas Geysers' used in bathrooms before the 1960's.
    They used Town (coal) gas and that was deadly lethal if you were in an enclosed space.

I saw a Red Rock unit fitted to a caravan my son was renting one day and it had been fully exposed to the weather and to be honest I wouldnt touch it and told him not to try it as the outer case looked in really bad so heaven only knows what the internals looked like.
    I would prefer to place it under an awning where it still has full ventilation and out of strong winds and bad weather.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-11-13 at 02:48 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (25-11-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Yes, I read the instructions VERY carefully which is why I fitted a flue and said in my postings about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
    I also remember cases of fatalities from blocked or corroded flues on the now illegal 'Gas Geysers' used in bathrooms before the 1960's.
    They used Town (coal) gas and that was deadly lethal if you were in an enclosed space.
    That brings back memories, rented a house in the early seventies in Sydney (Lane Cove), had to light the pilot, swing it in & turn the main gas on with water already running to have a shower or bath. Had a few blow backs from the flew, scary at first then you just get used to it.
    We were on town gas for the first six months or so then Sydney changed over to Natural gas & the gas company came out, took one look at the Kookaburra stove & Hot water heater in the bathroom & said, "I'll do the best I can". It all worked well after that. Possibly the stability of the natural gas.
    Cheers, Tiny