Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: UEC 4639 Signal Drop Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 SOLUTION

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beefrank View Post
    Some wishful thinking in my last post of nearly three months ago! Although the 4639 seems to be more stable, it still has a problem recording consecutive programs on one channel while another program is being recorded on a second channel. More often than not, the second program in the sequence fails to play back although all indications are that it recorded correctly.
    I don't seem to get this problem ever, however I have a 2 input cable setup, no attenuator or loop thru. maybe you are still haveing some second tuner signal level issues.

Every now and then the unit still reboots when selecting or looking through the EPG.
    This I get regularly, on the 4639, 4121 & my MyStar box. I put it down to data input error of the EPG suppliers.

Some fast forward problems also still exist, such as loss of sound when play is selected, and sped up audio playback until sound has caught up with video.
    Only get this in 30x FF so I back off to 15xFF before I go to play, seems to solve the issue.

Does anybody know when the promised firmware update can be expected? UEC did not respond to my last email in which I asked this question.
    didn't even know there was one coming out. I lead a sheltered life.
    Last edited by Tiny; 12-05-14 at 06:40 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

beefrank (16-05-14)

Upper South East of SA, midway between Keith and Coorong
    Thanks

Thanks Tiny.

The second tuner issue should have been resolved (according to UEC) with the attenuator so I have been waiting for the software update, which I had hoped would resolve all other problems. The attenuator seems to have solved the problems I had with the display of EPG information.

I recall reading somewhere (I thought here) that a software update for the 4639 was expected last November. However, when prompted by me, UEC advised in February that they knew about and were working on resolving the 4639 bugs/issues, that software development must pass 60 days of testing, but if a test fails a new build must be compiled and re-tested prior to OTA release. I presume we're still waiting for successful completion of a 60 day test.

I know there are workarounds for some of the issues I described in my earlier post, but the 4639's failure to fully, or even partially, record some programs is something that causes me greatest frustration ..... and grief, especially when it was a special program my wife asked me to record!! Unless I get something positive on a software update, I might be forced to try your twin input idea.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beefrank For This Useful Post:

Tiny (16-05-14)

Thanks

Nothing heard on software update so tried Tiny's twin input idea, with a slight difference. With 8dB attenuator in line from dish, used splitter to produce two lines which were each connected to inputs 1 and 2. SQ is now typically 75% to 100% and SL 55% to 80%, with both tuners having similar values when tuned to the same channel. However, even this did not work, with the most recent recording failing, without any indication it had failed, after about 40 minutes into a 1hr 30mins recording. Successful recordings occur only about 90-95% of the time even though the system is now rebooted daily!

I suspect now that my problems are associated with the 4639's inability to tolerate glitches in the SA bouquet. A few weeks ago, some program details were not being removed from the I-plate well after their finish time, which can't be good if the recorder is using information embedded in the received signal that is synchronised with the displayed details.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I'd be asking for a refund. The goods do not do what they are intended to do.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Nothing heard on software update so tried Tiny's twin input idea, with a slight difference. With 8dB attenuator in line from dish, used splitter to produce two lines which were each connected to inputs 1 and 2. SQ is now typically 75% to 100% and SL 55% to 80%, with both tuners having similar values when tuned to the same channel. However, even this did not work, with the most recent recording failing, without any indication it had failed, after about 40 minutes into a 1hr 30mins recording. Successful recordings occur only about 90-95% of the time even though the system is now rebooted daily!

I suspect now that my problems are associated with the 4639's inability to tolerate glitches in the SA bouquet. A few weeks ago, some program details were not being removed from the I-plate well after their finish time, which can't be good if the recorder is using information embedded in the received signal that is synchronised with the displayed details.
    If you have 2 cables going to the decoder then you don't use an attenuator.

The tuner getting SL 55% is too low, remove the attenuator & have another look at it. You should get exactly the same readings for the same channel/s on both tuners with 2 cables inputting.

I don't get below 90% signal level on either of my tuners on the 4639. On a good day I get 95% to 100%.

Your dish & cabling may need some trouble shooting.
    The failure to record is more than likely the signal dropping out.
    I just don't get these problems with mine.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Default Splitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I don't get below 90% signal level on either of my tuners on the 4639. On a good day I get 95% to 100%..
    I initially tried the attenuator between tuners 1 & 2 with some improvement. Tried it inline to Input 1 and it was a lot better.

The other day in Bunnings I spotted a 2 way splitter with power-through on both output legs for $8.00.

Gave it a go, and like Tiny, I now get 95 - 100% on both tuners. If both are on the same frequency the levels are the same.

As yet I haven't been away with the caravan but lots of testing at home and so far not problems with timer recordings.
    When I first got my 4639 I, gloated about how good my unit was following home testing but soon ran into problems on the road.
    It will be interesting to see how it goes in the real world..!! With the excellent levels I am now getting with the splitter (N0 Attenuator) I hope my recording problems will be fixed.
    I am using an Azure Shine 80cm Dish with a single output Satking LNB.

Bug #18 Etc will remain unchanged.

Cheers,

Oldace
    Last edited by oldace; 13-06-14 at 07:00 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to oldace For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-06-14)

Thanks

Default Splitter

A week ago, ditched UEC attenuator previously in line with splitter and to date no missed recordings. SQ is now typically in range 68 - 100%, and SL 84 - 100% on both tuners. Apart from problems associated with use of remote, which can only be cleared by rebooting the 4639 (memory issue?), we now appear to have a system that is just about passable on the frustration scale.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beefrank For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-06-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Sorry; off topic, deleted & moved to correct thread.
    Last edited by Tiny; 21-06-14 at 06:26 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234