Thread: I have spent hours so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help

Thanks

Question I have spent hours so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help

Your help is needed please.

Firstly the equipment;
    2.3 Mesh dish
    humax 5400
    lnb running 5150 local osc
    have a satellite finder and a small spec analyser which can show the transponders( ex Avcomm)product
    now I have a good view of north but a big tree between me and Asiasat 3 so i can forget that satellite
    I am trying to get FTA intelsat 8 looking for beacon on 3980 H (information from lynsat site)

Now for the problem;

I have aimed the dish 13 degrees from north and 46 degrees elevation.
    On the Humax i can get full signal strength but no quality on the scale at all.
    I can see the transponders on the screen and notice the signal hunts say s6 to s9.

I can steer the dish from side to side using small movements.

I use the humax to set up the aerial conditions.

I have run manual scan, automatic scan, advanced scan.
    tuning fails.

I know the receiver works/runs because i can view Expo sales channel on the the Ku band (optus).

Has anyone some advice for me so that I can watch Intesat 8

thanks in advance for your help as I have spend hours on this!

Colin

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Set your dish on True North (close enough is good enough) and rotate the LNB (as if you are adjusting skew) until the F connector is parallel to the ground.

Try again with your previously found satellite ...BUT - different LNB makes and models have the relationship between the F connector placement and signal polarisation ninety degrees out from others. So, if you can't lock a transponder just rotate the LNB ninety degrees, when you have locked a transponder of known polarisation fine-tune the LNB skew in the same manner as any other LNB.

You can of course use your spectrum analyser to peak the required transponders, rotate the LNB whilst watching the spikes and you will see the H polarisation signals come up as V polarisation goes down (and vice-versa)...but unless the spectrum analyser has high accuracy in regard to cursor/frequency you still will not know which 'set' of spikes you need to peak. With experience you can tell (yourself !) which set of spikes to peak for a given polarisation, indeed, you will be able to tell which satellite your dish is pointed at.

You can only be ninety degrees out after peaking the spikes....but it's usually on the incorrect polarisation ! .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by colincolin30 View Post
    Your help is needed please.

Firstly the equipment;
    2.3 Mesh dish
    humax 5400
    lnb running 5150 local osc
    have a satellite finder and a small spec analyser which can show the transponders( ex Avcomm)product
    now I have a good view of north but a big tree between me and Asiasat 3 so i can forget that satellite
    I am trying to get FTA intelsat 8 looking for beacon on 3980 H (information from lynsat site)

Now for the problem;

I have aimed the dish 13 degrees from north and 46 degrees elevation.
    On the Humax i can get full signal strength but no quality on the scale at all.
    I can see the transponders on the screen and notice the signal hunts say s6 to s9.

I can steer the dish from side to side using small movements.

I use the humax to set up the aerial conditions.

I have run manual scan, automatic scan, advanced scan.
    tuning fails.

I know the receiver works/runs because i can view Expo sales channel on the the Ku band (optus).

Has anyone some advice for me so that I can watch Intesat 8

thanks in advance for your help as I have spend hours on this!

Colin

G'Day Colin,
    Try this prog for dish pointing;

I've used it to get some figures for Canberra --- Lat -35 and Long 149 E.
    Elev. 45.3
    Az 27.7 True
    14.5 Mag.
    LNB Skew 22.3 (clockwise).

The two things I would like to suggest: Are you using True or Magnetic Azimuth?
    :Have you adjusted the skew for you location?

I trust that this will help you.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".
    Last edited by beer4life; 17-07-08 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks

It's not somthing simple, like incorrect LNB setting in the Humax?
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Im assuming your dish is not motorised, but from Melbourne Intelsat 8 is about 41.5 degrees elevation and 20.8 degrees east.

Im guessing your pointing at the wrong sat.

The more north from Melboure you are the more elevation and east you have to go.

Thanks

One point I note from your first post colincolin - I see no beacon on 3980H, just a transponder full of encrypted (PowerVu) PAY TV. Some of these services may have un-encrypted audio but there is nothing you can watch.

Try using a transponder such as 3833 V 17500 FEC 3/4 which has some FTA services. Some of the other transponders have lower FECs of 5/6 and 7/8 and will be relatively difficult to lock.

Thanks

Default Thank you

Hi , Thank you for the advice I am about to go and try your ideas.

many thanks and if i have problems you can bet I'll put my hand up again for some help.
    regards
    colin

Thanks

Always glad to help
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks

Default experiments

Well I have spent a day experimenting with the setup.
    The thing which really has me confused is that i have a full signal strength but no quality.Looking at the specmonitor I can see the transponders.
    I also set up the satfinder out on the dish so i could hear the finder and look through the window at the tv screen.

I am sure that i have the lNB freg 5150 correct, tried the 3833 v 17500 3/4 setting as suggested.Dish looking 13east, elev. 47 degrees for Intelsat 8.
    I have taken some pictures during the days proceedings but unsure how to upload these to the post.
    I am happy to accept any advice you may have.

This is making me demented!

regards Colin
    Last edited by colincolin30; 18-07-08 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool How to use post pictures , photos and attach files.

G'Day Colin,
    Sanity has posted a tutorial here:

Thereis also a thread where you can practice.

One thing I must comment on. If you know where the dish was set for C1, you need to move roughly another 10 Deg to the East.
    There is a difference of 12 odd Deg between True and Magnetic bearings.
    In other words, are you sure that you are looking at the right Sat?

Kindest Regards, "The Druid ".

Thanks

When you have the transponders on the spectrum analyser screen grab the LNB and turn it to peak the transponders. You should see two peaks - one for the H and one for the V. You have to work out which of these peaks is actually which ! It will all make sense when you get the hang of it.

At the same screen move the dish up/down and L/R to peak the spikes, you will see the transponder peaks on the spectrum analyser well before the signals are strong enough to lock a receiver. You must peak everything or you simply won't see pictures. You can accidentally peak a dish on one of its minor lobes - everything can still peak up but won't have sufficient signal-to-noise to lock a receiver. Move the dish around whilst watching the analyser and get a feel for how things work, also get an idea of what all the adjustments do.

Thanks

Default Screen pictures

[URL=http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04071bg7.jpg][IMG]http://img377.imageshack.

[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04068ip9.jpg][IMG]http://img186.imageshack.

[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04069hm7.jpg][IMG]http://img186.imageshack.

[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04071uz7.jpg][IMG]http://img186.imageshack.

let me explain the pics in the next posting

Thanks

Something not right with the pictures posted above I can't see how to open them
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks

Thanks

there ya go mate
    tidied it up a bit for you

best of luck

Thanks

You can get a full strength reading even if you are on the wrong satellite !

The Strength meter means little as it's only measuring the signal level in the broad receiver IF - even if it is on the wrong frequency (or satellite). It is not necessarily measuring the actual frequency you have entered.

Read post #11 again - use the spectrum analyser to peak the signal.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Intelsat8?

3833 V is a symbol rate of 17500, you have 27000 in one pic.....

In another pic you have 4181; is not on intelsat8......

May i suggest try 4140H SR 28125 FEC 5/6

A higher frequency and symbol rate may help you find a signal and lock a little easyer.

Try switching between v and h incase you lnb is 90 degrees out.

3833v has a very small symbol rate and maybe causing you difficulty because you may be a little off tune in your dish pointing and lnb adjustment.
    Try 4140h (and v incase your lnb is 90 derees out) to get a lock, then tune from there. Remember you wont get a pic as its encrypted but once you get your quality bar up you can enter other transponders and go from there.

Then try your other weaker transponders.

Could you post a pic of your lnb and feed horn?

If all fails im still thinking your not on the sat unless your lnb is faulty....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colincolin30 View Post
    Well I have spent a day experimenting with the setup.
    The thing which really has me confused is that i have a full signal strength but no quality.
    regards Colin
    Your not on satellite , plain and simply, Try the old push / pull of the dish, your declenation angle could be out, and your shooting under or over the satellite

Thanks

Hi,
    I have again tried to tune in and look at Intesat8; renewed interest after seeing a sattellite guy's shop in Waitara NSW with Intersat 8 and all the TV shows.
    But still no luck I have tried all the suggestions posted in this forum without any results. My recent renewed interest still gives me full signal on the Humax Receiver 5400 but still no picture quality ( BER?) what ever that means.
    My latest attempts ( 25 April 2009) I placed a string line across the face of the dish and measured the angle using angle incline meter and it was spot on 47 degrees.
    I have added a motorised arm and can do fine adjustments on the left to right movement of the dish. ( Aiming at magnetic 13 degrees ). I have discounted the LNB being faulty because I can rotate the LNB and the transponders can be seen on my monitor. I have spent at least 4 hours yesterday adjusting and adjusting but still the same results. Nothing I seem to do get as any signal quality to display on the yellow BAR.

I would appreicate if you could read my postings and offer any advice before I ring the funny farm to take me away!!

regards

Colin

PS I think my next post I will take a picture of everything and put it up for scrutiny.

Thanks

i Appreciate your frustration colin.im in SE Australia an my Dish headstock assembly for 2.4m C band dish for Int8 is at 44 degree actual,the lower inclination bolt in lower headstock is adjusted several degrees out from this cause its motorised an gotta track reliable from Int8 an 2 thru to As2 an 3.
    Now the lnb is your problem if your really on Int8...remember you are also very close to Int2 an may be confuse between the two from your readings.
    Both pump out a good signal ,untill you refine your box settings for programs an freq. ,sr etc. then your quality is next to 0 with great signal.still!
    If your confident your on Int8 ,input the frequ. etc. for 3740 horizontal 27500 to look for MTV China ,it booms In! even if dish a few degrees out east to west.well true only 1 or 2 degree really.
    Now the Lnb at front is recess into the ring What? all way in or retracted all out beyond 42 on the lnb case ,yes the scale on side imbossed on the lnb .
    Gotto about 32 or such on lnb ,rotate the coax connector to either down or 90 degree left or right.
    to start .try horizontally down first!
    If you on Sat. an all the input parameter to humax is ok a very High signal an maybe low 10 % value for Quality will be recieved?
    Adjust the Lnb first in an out for highest Quality an note the mark on the lnb scale on the side,nip up your lock screw slightly so as LNB does not to fall in or outof the ring! next twist very slightly in rotation the lnb from horizontal coax position slight left or right.as Quality improves ,usually dramatically nip up the screw firmer at highest Quality level.
    Next Fine Tune the overall dish elevation again! an East/west of the dish for highest Quality reading! Lock all these mounting bolts up carefully an firm whilst watching Quality levels!
    next gotto the LNB again ,an carefully readjust 1degree in or out for highest quality,an rotation for quality reading on the humax or meter or whatever you have! lock the screw tight but carefully as you can loose Quality again dramaticaly if not carefull .
    with everything bolt wise an screw wise tighten up. shake the dish manually by hand simulating a strong wind,an watch the result ! for your quality readings. an ever so slight reajust for quality may still be required .But dont adjust he Lnb again ! just your dish headstock bolts for east west or elevation.never more than a degree either way to peak everything in!
    But this is sometimes more detrimental as you loosen some bolts an retighten others .You will soon get an instinctive feel for this as your Quality levels increase or decrease!
    This overall procedure can be done with a simple sat. finder meter an your Humax firmware signal levels,on a TV screen an the correct setting are input to you humax First!
    An Take the Motorised Acuator off the dish an do everything manual,first.!to achieve 1 satellite reliably first.
    Please try again ,just some patience.! once achieved an remembered you will wonder how hard is it!next time!not terribly,just a method an patience,
    Tip allways check your coax connectors also,these connections can catch us all out an do ,from time to time ,amatuer to pro installer!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast