Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes We Scan

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Default Yes We Scan

A picture says more than 1000 words ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (26-10-13),Lobby Dosser (15-11-13),lsemmens (22-11-13),Tiny (28-10-13)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks

Cool, I like that.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

How naive can people be to think that Governments World wide dont spy on other Governments as well as their own people !!

Business's do it daily when they send people into their competitors stores to try to out market them so whats the big deal with this latest storm in a Tea Cup?

Can the German Chancellor say without breaking into hysterical laughter that she isnt privy to information both internally and externally that could have only come from Covert sources, ie SPYING ???

James Bond is alive and well and just as busy now as his Caveman ancestor was when he counted the clubs and spears in the cave of the Tribe across the way.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (27-10-13),Tiny (28-10-13),tristen (27-10-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

It made me wonder that the German Chancellor was not using a secure phone in the first place. Surely the German security services are smarter than that and would see that she, as a national leader, had the most secure phone possible.

Banned

Thanks

The coalition of civil liberties groups started campaign tol test its ability to mobilize opposition to the National Security Agency’s controversial surveillance programs: View the

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Landytrack View Post
    It made me wonder that the German Chancellor was not using a secure phone in the first place. Surely the German security services are smarter than that and would see that she, as a national leader, had the most secure phone possible.
    Whole Germany is laughing, not dismayed ... Noone has compassion with the German Chancellor ... The phones she used weren't approved to be secure ...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Whole Germany is laughing, not dismayed ... Noone has compassion with the German Chancellor ... The phones she used weren't approved to be secure ...
    I find that a bit hard to believe as our mobile phones cant be scanned now by just anyone without some sophisticated equipment generally not available at your local electronics store.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I find that a bit hard to believe as our mobile phones cant be scanned now by just anyone without some sophisticated equipment generally not available at your local electronics store.
    If both the caller and the callee have the same crypto-chip in their phones, they can't be scanned. But this is theory ...

Premium Member

Thanks

Still can't believe Merkel ran about with a unapproved mobile phone. No wonder most of Germany is laughing ! On another thread there was discussion on monitoring of mobile phones, thing is the software has to be installed into the target phone.

Trouble is, organisations like NSA have access to the phone network so their ability to monitor would be far, far greater.

Only way around it is to stop using mobile phones I guess.

Premium Member

Thanks

Remember when Obama was elected President, he had a 'Blackberry' literally attached to his ear and I read the Secret Service were going crazy trying to get it off him.
    Now I dont know if the USA uses the same Digital mobile system as us or not but it cant have been too secure if they eventually managed to take it off him.

Premium Member

Thanks

This morning heard on the ABC that the Spanish Govt has called in the American ambassador.

A severe note of disapproval was given to the ambassador.

Apparently millions of Spanish citizens have had their mobile phone conversations monitored by NSA.

Mr Obama has some explaining to do.

Banned

Thanks

The NSA can basically do what it wants in a foreign country. There are no international agreements which would prohibit such scanning.

Germany is a special case. There at least since 1955 the winners of WW2 (USA, GB, France, Russia) are unrestrictedly allowed to survey all mail/phone traffic. This later on, due to the techn. progress, was extended on all internet traffic. And, worst, German citiziens by law are not allowed to bring suit in court. Hence Misses M. has no reasons to complain that she was surveilled.

Premium Member

Thanks

Years ago I remember reading about a new satellite being launched that was capable of monitoring mobile conversations in both Russia and China but then they were 'The Enemy' and as such that was acceptable.

I heard there is a 'No Spying' agreement between the USA and several countries including Australia and believing everything I 'HEAR' and read, I believe this is true as my 'Voices' have told me so.........

Nobody's mentioned Pine Gap yet, our own little 'Secret' spy station..............

Thanks

Still can't believe Merkel ran about with a unapproved mobile phone.
    I think we can guess how this came about: "I don't want your [insert unfashionable/daggy brand here] phone, I want a shiny new iPhone 5S" - or whatever the latest bit of bling is.

The same battle goes on between corporate IT departments and know it all executives every day, all over the World.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    How naive can people be to think that Governments World wide dont spy on other Governments as well as their own people !!
    SPYING ???
    Recently the NSA spent $1.5 Billion USD to build this in the state of Utah. Even before Snowden leaked those documents, there were already reports that this humongous data center was being built BECAUSE it is so freaking big that it would be hard to hide. It is possible to hold a terabyte of data in your hand, but it is hard to grasp how much data they are storing there.

It is not just that the spying exists, but also the sheer scale of it and the almost non-existent legal justification for it. Most people probably thought that the government would have a search warrant or some other sort of legal paperwork in order, which could be acquired for even the most loftiest of reasons (like spying on everyone named "Mohamed"). But nope, even some judges and politicians are questioning the legal framework for this. Worse still is the exact details on what information the NSA is taking and how they are doing it. Like I would not have thought that the NSA would keep track of who was on who's IM buddy list.

There are more revelations due, apparently, and the reporter releasing the documents has said that he has not published the worst of it. But what could be "worse" than what has already been revealed? The fact that it is hard to even guess about that, is what will make it so shocking. The only thing I can think of is that they probably keep track of everyone's cell phone location by means of GPS and cellular towers. Everyone has a cell phone! A UN study this year revealed that for the entire world, . That's 6 Billion out of 7 Billion people on earth who have access to a cell phone versus the 4.5 Billion who have access to a working toilet.

I mention the world wide figures for cell phone usage because it is becoming increasingly clear that the NSA is not limiting their spying on US citizens. US citizens tend to have more protections against the US NSA, than citizens of other countries. I will be shocked, but not surprised if I hear that the NSA is keeping track of the cell phone location of even a majority of cell phones on this planet. 5 years ago I would have laughed at anyone who suggested the thing. Now, I am not so sure...

Thanks

Since Obama's inauguration, it was known that he uses a blackberry cellphone. This was thought to be a little odd and outdated, until it was suggested that the NSA have probably hacked iOS and Android OS directly, and have installed their own backdoor in them. Blackberry was thought to be "safer" because its code is older and crappier. I am skeptical of this (not of how crappy blackberry is. I believe that!), particularly as Android is mainly open source. But then reports came out that the NSA may have which subsequently inserts a backdoor in any cryptography scheme compiled by that compiler.

What's next? The NSA hacks mathematics? hah, lol

Oh wait,

Seriously? FFS

Thanks

I know you're mainly talking about the United States in here so I hope you don't mind if I share a little bit of Canadian feedback...
    A friend of ours recently found a phone number and cost on his bill that was unfamiliar to him. He thought that it must be incorrect, as he could not remember the call, nor the topic, nor anything else to that regard. For this reason, he called the phone company to try and get the long distance cost removed. He spoke to the operator for a while, and she kept insisting that he had placed the call, and he insisted that he had not. Finally, she put him on hold, and when she came back she said: "Sir, that call was placed at X time, lasted for X minutes, you were talking to XYZ company, and you were discussing Z topic." And he was like, "Oh, right - I remember now. ....Wait a minute. How did you know what we were talking about?" "All calls are monitored, sir."

That freaks me out. I have nothing to hide, and I'm totally unsure on whether I should care or not about that ... but then I just start imagining, what if that call were a sexline... heheheh.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Time was when telecommunications required a lot more hard work to monitor conversations, (I used to work a test desk and "eavesdropped" on wife when she was on the phone when I wanted to talk to her) these days, it is so much easier as we now have the facility to record every conversation "in real time" without any real human intervention (the downside of computerisation). I'd have considered that the mobile network was harder to "hack" given the nature of the beast, whereas a fixed line is always "in one place" so can be targeted far more easily, but, given the technology available now, I can understand the size of the NSA's data collection centre. We are familiar with Terabytes of storage on a personal level, the NSA would be in the order of exabytes if not yottabytes. Think of the hassle of data backup? Incremental or full? Swap a tape every few minutes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon View Post
    I know you're mainly talking about the United States in here so I hope you don't mind if I share a little bit of Canadian feedback...
    A friend of ours recently found a phone number and cost on his bill that was unfamiliar to him. He thought that it must be incorrect, as he could not remember the call, nor the topic, nor anything else to that regard. For this reason, he called the phone company to try and get the long distance cost removed. He spoke to the operator for a while, and she kept insisting that he had placed the call, and he insisted that he had not. Finally, she put him on hold, and when she came back she said: "Sir, that call was placed at X time, lasted for X minutes, you were talking to XYZ company, and you were discussing Z topic." And he was like, "Oh, right - I remember now. ....Wait a minute. How did you know what we were talking about?" "All calls are monitored, sir."

That freaks me out. I have nothing to hide, and I'm totally unsure on whether I should care or not about that ... but then I just start imagining, what if that call were a sexline... heheheh.
    That is damned creepy...

Oh I forgot to note that this reminds me of something. There is also this important detail I have yet to hear about in the NSA spying program. We know they spy on some European countries like German, but what about Canada? I suspect that not only will the entire program extend into Canada, but that it will also likely be worse then the domestic program.
    Last edited by Mr.Styx; 23-11-13 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks

I think its become obvious that privacy concerns while on the internet and phone aren't going anywhere, but quite frankly its our government watching us and everyone else. We'll never be able to stop this and no matter what some companies do to tighten security or make its consumers think that they are tightening the security, there is another group of companies ready to hand the information over. Here's article about AT&T and how they're helping the DEA:

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast