Thread: CAPTCHAs Busted?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Default CAPTCHAs Busted?

A software company called Vicarious claims to have created a computer algorithm that can solve CAPTCHA ("Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") with greater than 90% accuracy.

With a CAPTCHA solver used throughout the Internet security system could have been overcome. This raises the first question of a suitable successor system. More importantly, it is in the "Wired" is the possible breakthrough in artificial intelligence (AI). Vicarious himself compares his algorithm works with the human brain, which is why spelling could be construed as good as the human eye.

Full report here:

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default CAPTCHAs Busted?

90%, that's 4 times better than my own success rate with those painful authentication checks.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (31-10-13),ben10 (31-10-13),brotherbear (22-11-13),jcannon (20-11-13),OSIRUS (31-10-13),Tiny (21-11-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    90%, that's 4 times better than my own success rate with those painful authentication checks.
    hahahah

Thanks

When can I start using that program? lol

Has anyone ever tried the audio CAPTCHA? The sound is so horrible.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I tried audio captcha once, my random guesses were more accurate!

Thanks

CAPTCHA is the worst thing. I hope this new technology wipes CAPTCHA out -- although, wait; what might be the alternative? What if we have to start doing IQ tests or writing essays about our summer vacations to get into websites!? ...Well, that would probably do away with most of the younger crowd. Hmmm.. I might be for this...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon View Post
    CAPTCHA is the worst thing. I hope this new technology wipes CAPTCHA out -- although, wait; what might be the alternative? What if we have to start doing IQ tests or writing essays about our summer vacations to get into websites!? ...Well, that would probably do away with most of the younger crowd. Hmmm.. I might be for this...
    My guess is they will have a face recognition program one merry day and any CAPTCHAs or other manual input from the user will become obsolete, so it will all become “too easy”.

No human face detectable, no link to download the copyrighted material often associated with these captchas.
    Of course they will have your geo location and phone number as well.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I'm a little surprised they took this long to get to 90% accuracy to be honest. OCR has been improving at a pretty impressive rate.

As much as I hate CAPTCHAs, I'm not sure that I really prefer the "what's 8+13" or "choose the 2nd and 6th letter from the number 5447812" type either.

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    My guess is they will have a face recognition program one merry day and any CAPTCHAs or other manual input from the user will become obsolete, so it will all become “too easy”.

No human face detectable, no link to download the copyrighted material often associated with these captchas.
    I anticipate a new form of dating site emerging when that data ends up getting leaked.

Thanks

I've seen picture CAPTCHAs. Those are crazy annoying. It's like a small puzzle that you have to solve but you have to drag the imagines to the correct spots and sometimes when you're a little off, it gets rejected.

Thanks

I think I've used one of those only once, and it took me even more goes than the usual kind. They're a blight on society, our punishment for making computers good enough to solve the normal ones better than humans can.

I wonder what happens once computers can solve those puzzle ones too. Will it be facial recognition (not like that could be faked or anything...) or will we just get more and more difficult puzzles?

Someone could write a novel about this.

Thanks

Well I am starting to see the use of random simple questions as a human verification tool. That's probably a lot better, but it would be more difficult to create a question that you were certain only a human could answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

There are efforts to use biometrics in that way, but it would likely be susceptible to spoofing.

Maybe the replacement for CAPTCHAs will be forcing everyone to have one internet account with their real name on it, that is used for everything. At least Google seems to think that is a good idea. I am not so sure.

Thanks

Everything leads back to the idea of the day when we all have chips implanted in our wrists with everything that's required: credit card, government cards, passport, etc. We will just scan our wrists at our computer and be allowed to go where ever we have been authorized. But just think the kind of identity theft this would lead to -- people would have to hack off your wrist or dig out your chip in order to do so. So suddenly you have wrist snatchers. What a world. ... I think I should start writing a novel about this, hahah.

However there'd be some huge advantages to this. Think of all the bulky crap you wouldn't have to carry around with you anymore!

Although there'd also eventually be SOMEONE who'd figure out how to scan it and replicate you ...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Voice print identification works, just ask Star Trek. Seriously, the time will likely come when DNA analysis will be required just to check your junk mail.

Thanks

Everything leads back to the idea of the day when we all have chips implanted in our wrists with everything that's required: credit card, government cards, passport, etc. We will just scan our wrists at our computer and be allowed to go where ever we have been authorized. But just think the kind of identity theft this would lead to -- people would have to hack off your wrist or dig out your chip in order to do so. So suddenly you have wrist snatchers.
    Ahh, the MARK OF THE BEAST!! There will be plenty of people who would elect to not be part of such a system. Thus, such a system would have to take that into account.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Seriously, the time will likely come when DNA analysis will be required just to check your junk mail.
    Now THAT is the real point. It is not about what system they will use next, but rather how much private information we will be FORCED to give up, simply in order to get even the most basic services.

Thanks

A simple jQuery script with a drag and drop element will make it impossible to use any automated system to circumvent captcha. No need for DNA testing or submitting your private details or such. At least until robots learn to read that is.

Example:
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Thanks

I have never been a fan of CAPTCHAs. Since they were implemented, I can draw no other conclusion than the fact that I must be a robot. I was sure I was human, but I suppose you never know. Do I hope this technology busted them? Yes. Do I believe it? Not until I see it. I do believe that this system would force developers to create a new system, and it is about time. My skepticism comes from the fact that low paid workers from underdeveloped countries are paid almost nothing to solve these. As far as I am concerned, until I see proof I will be weary that it is a program with human intelligence powering it. I do hope my skepticism is wrong, as I would love to see them go away for good. It is 2013, we can do better.

Thanks

In a way I am happy but in another way I am not. Security is needed and I must admit CAPTCHA does help with ensuring security to a certain extent. But then again thsoe things are irritating and getting harder and harder to read (and I have 20/20 vision sorry for those who has worse than perfect vision). So maybe having it cracked is good to force them to have alternatives.

Thanks

There are already a variety of newer captcha services out there that are coming up with different ways of proving you are human, as another poster noted earlier, with methods such as drag and drop images. I've also seen ones that play a commercial to you and tell you to look for something specific in the commercial, which is your pass to solve the captcha.

The old school ones with the jumbled text have been obsolete for years. Even before they came up with algorithms to guess these on the fly, they have been paying people pennies per hour to enter in the solutions for captchas repeatedly, so they could build up a massive database of answers for all of them. Apparently several of the big services must re-use some or all of these captcha images eventually. I was under the impression that they were all generated in real time but that does not appear to be the case.

Or if they were generated on the fly, perhaps they were using all the solved captchas they accumulated to backward engineer their scrambling algorithm.