Thread: Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1

I am considering one of these for a Xmas present for the better half

I am swayed towards this model, as it also has the capacity to use on Foxtel Go, which is also unmetered on our bigpond home broadband service...so it ticks boxes there.

I am interested as to what size model to get, 16gb or 32gb, as well as should I go up from the wifi only models, to the inbuilt 3g and 4g capable devices.

It will only be primarily used by her to do facebook, pinterest, and other web searching capabilities, not as a fully blown pc or laptop type usage. She does a bit a train travelling from regional to city for theatre events, and this could be used to watch a video or play music as well.

Sometimes my head tells me she would only need the lower priced Samsung Galaxy tab 3 ( whatever is the latest), but this is not in the Foxtel Go specified devices yet, and thus negates thoughts of buying that model.

To anyone who is a user of these products, I would love to hear your feedback and/or comments.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1...the original one, not a 2 or 3. It has not missed a beat in the couple of years I have had it. I upgraded it to android 4.

I only use it for general web browsing etc and its fine. 16 gig is also fine for me, I just dont download anything these days.

The Note as you probably know has a bigger cpu and more ram.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

viewer (02-11-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Also, just in case you were thinking about it, Foxtel block any device that is rooted so dont go down that path.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

JasonC (20-11-13),viewer (02-11-13)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks admin...I think she would be just as happy with a the tab model like you, but that not covered by foxtel go.
    For anyone's info, I did do an online chat today with samsung.
    The note only comes with Ice Cream Sandwich ( no good for foxtel go), but samsung say it will upgrade to Jellybean.
    I also asked if their other tabs would work with Go, but they say they have no idea as it is not a samsung product. The rep did not know which devices were compatible, as that is not their responsibility.

I don't want a rooted device, just bog standard, so there are no problems for her.

Did you have to buy screen protector for yours, as I have seen posts elsewhere saying these need to be purchased for the note.

Administrator
    Thanks

I dont use a screen protector on any devices so cant help you with that one.

Its a pretty shitty compatibility list Foxtel have so far for android stuff, I am sure they think everyone uses Apple (they should check sales figures )

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

viewer (03-11-13)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I would recommend a screen protector, better still a decent case. I managed to destroy my Galaxy Note within a couple of months because it fell out of my pocket and cracked the screen (my attempts at repair stuffed the display completely, but that is another story). Then proceeded to do same to my old iPhone 3.

edit: That said, I love the Galaxy Note, and would buy another one tomorrow if I had the readies.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 03-11-13 at 11:40 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

viewer (03-11-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

I agree, Samsung make a great tablet and I intend to buy a new one soon and pass this on to the missus.

One thing though viewer, never trust companies in regards to claiming they will release a new software version. I have had an HTC phone with a promised then cancelled android upgrade and this Samsung tablet got the same treatment. In both cases, I sourced the upgrade from overseas and upgraded them myself.

Having said that, you would think Foxtel would have stepped up a bit in their support by then.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks...in this case they said ( and have seen on some other forums from users ) that this model does update to Jellybean, however, as far as I know, it doesn't move on to Kit Kat or better.

It seems to be a shame that Android manufacturers don't update automatically, where available, to give them that edge over their competitor software versions. Especially when it is open sourced, and a largely used software for mobile devices.

I guess in someways Foxtel can't be blamed too much, as other fta stations also have their problems in providing the android software for catchup tv etc, but all say they are working on it. Albeit, if indeed foxtel/samsung are sharing a bed to transmit this on their devices, you'd certainly believe that samsung would be making the same software available for all their android devices, rather than the case at the moment, where their latest mobile won't play foxtel....now that is stupid.

Administrator
    Thanks

The only other tablet I am considering is the Nexus 10.1

2560×1600 display and Google Android updates, plus great price could get me to bite

Banned
    Thanks

They are good, no expansion for additional external memory...they do have a 16 or 32 gb model though.( I know you said that was no problem for you).

One thing I have noted whilst browsing tabs from different places like Kogan,JB Hifi, Harvey Norman etc.....it is really important to look at the specs on the unit advertised....so many times I see variants on ram size for the same looking device at different stores. You really have to have your eyes wide open when finally selecting your device.

Thanks

My aunt has a Galaxy Tab 3 and it's not pretty impressive. It's actually laggy. I believe that it's not much different from the Galaxy Tab 2. If you want an innovative device, just go with the Galaxy Note 10.1. It has a very useful S Pen stylus which is great for drawing and painting. It is also capable of multi-screen functionality wherein you could open multiple apps at once. For something more handy, you might want to go with the Note 2. I have one myself and I love it. It has a smaller screen than the Note 10.1 but it's much more handy.

Thanks

@"Marky Zuckbergy" -- are all Galaxy tablets you've seen laggy, or just that one Tab 3 that your Aunt has? My friends have been migrating over to the Note 10.1 and I've been considering going that route as well. I'm especially interested in the drawing and painting portion of it, since I'm an artist and I love the idea of a portable digital sketchbook (since it will be a while before I can afford one of the new Wacom tablet PCs, yikes!)

Whenever I ask anyone about such abilities with the iPad, I get blank stares. Pressure sensitivity is a big issue for me.

When we say 10.1 ... that is the size of the screen from corner to corner, yes? Hmmm. Wonder if that'd fit in my bag...

Thanks

I have a galaxy tab 2 and I love it. I don't notice any lag in it, but I also don't use it a lot, nor do I have a lot stored on it. I don't really need a tablet at all I just think it's fun to have and play with, so mine gets very minimal use. From what your describing it sounds like she wouldn't notice any lag either because there wouldn't be much on the tablet to begin with. Which also leads me to believe that the smaller gigs would be fine for her as well. I personally find anything Samsung to be amazing anyway!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I had a Galaxy Note (broke it but that is another story) and SWMBO has a Note2, I love them, but I have found that the pen, whilst pressure sensitive, is also extremely sensitive and you cannot bring it closer than about 1/2 inch to the screen without unintended consequences. I'm certain that it's something installed on the system but, cannot work out what did it. There appears to be no way to alter the sensitivity settings at all. It's a pity, as I love the stylus, but find that my finger produces more accurate results and that is scary!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I had a Galaxy Note (broke it but that is another story) and SWMBO has a Note2, I love them, but I have found that the pen, whilst pressure sensitive, is also extremely sensitive and you cannot bring it closer than about 1/2 inch to the screen without unintended consequences. I'm certain that it's something installed on the system but, cannot work out what did it. There appears to be no way to alter the sensitivity settings at all. It's a pity, as I love the stylus, but find that my finger produces more accurate results and that is scary!

Really? I have never heard of that issue with the stylus. My friend lives by her stylus on her Galaxy tab. She's never had a problem with it at all. I've even used it with her tablet and put it right up to the screen. Have you talked to samsung about this issue? It may be something they can fix. May even be in some setting or something, always worth a try asking them though.