Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another nail in the NBN coffin

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Another nail in the NBN coffin

On the TV news tonight I heard an announcement that the current NBN roll out location plan is on hold and Malcom Turnbull confirmed this by saying they were considering a plan to 'Do the areas who currently had the worst Internet service first'.
    Exactly what the criteria is for an area to qualify for the 'worst Internet service' wasnt announced.

At least under the old now defunct Labor version, you knew there was a timetable and a forecast completion date.

As most of the Federal and State seats are held by the Liberal/National Party, there are no marginal seats to bribe by being done early so it will now depend on how much 'Clout' the sitting member has and seeing ours was ignominiously passed over for a seat at the big trough, I bet this electorate is way down the list.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

It would be an easy decision to make for Turnbull....just walk out of any city and knock on a bush door.

Banned

Thanks

I have my hand up 1.5 Mbps at present but I honestly do not have any confidence in any thing Malcom Turnbull say's as he is very careless with the truth

Premium Member

Thanks

Viewer, no need to go Bush, all he has to do is drive from his electorate in Packerland (Bondi) Sydney to the Blue Mountains and see how many places there dont have ADSL and a surprisingly poor mobile phone service too.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

OK, I'll review the locations....walk out of Sydney,Wollongong,Newcastle,Central Coast,Melbourne,Brisbane,Adelaide,Perth (Darwin????),parts of Tasmania

Thanks

Which areas have 'the worst' service at present? It'll probably turn out to be electorates that voted Liberal.

Now now usual suspects. If it was good enough to falsely blurt out that Labor was pushing NBN into Labor seats it's equally good enough to say it about the Libs.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Which areas have 'the worst' service at present? It'll probably turn out to be electorates that voted Liberal.

Now now usual suspects. If it was good enough to falsely blurt out that Labor was pushing NBN into Labor seats it's equally good enough to say it about the Libs.
    We had a sitting labor member and the NBN was not pushed into Tweed Heads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    We had a sitting labor member and the NBN was not pushed into Tweed Heads.
    You know it. I know it. The list of rollout site disproves Labor doing it. None of that stopped 'the usual suspects' from saying Labor was giving Labor/marginal seats preferential treatment in the fibre rollout so its only fair to do the same in return. Isn't it?

I'm sure they won't see it that way though.

Premium Member

Thanks

I have no idea how the last plan for the NBN roll out was drawn up but as everyone was to get connected eventually to one of the three systems within a certain time, it was no need for playing favourites.

I feel this latest announcement will allow the current Government to completely 'Walk away' from the 'Everyone will get a Broadband Internet Connection available to them' to one now requiring the user to apply for the service but as they wont have the infrastructure in place, the connection will be determined on both a User Pays system and only if its commercially viable for a Provider to install it.
    Basically the same as we have now with areas that the Providers will not install the needed equipment because they deem it as not being profitable to do so even though there are people willing to pay for it.
    Time may well prove me wrong and I fervently hope it does but the Liberal/NP have always been commercially oriented in their policies so I cant see that changing anytime soon.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-11-13 at 11:41 AM.

Banned

Thanks

A good summation of the situation Gordon and it is just sad that we had the chance to be up with the rest of the world in our communications network.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Wow, what a screaming hysteria thread ! This reminds me of when someone gets one of those "boat people get more centrelink payments than pensioners" emails and everyone goes in to a frenzy over false information.

Even the dills at the ABC reported it correctly :

The National Broadband Network (NBN) has updated its rollout maps, removing hundreds of thousands of premises that were scheduled to be connected to fibre optic cable.

Labor has described those homes and businesses as the first victims of the new Government's broadband policy.

But the NBN Co's new executive chairman, Ziggy Switkowski, says the new maps are designed to improve transparency around the multi-billion-dollar project.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull says the old maps were misleading because they listed areas as being "under construction" even though they were only at the planning stage.

"People in those homes will be advised when the NBN is likely to be - or planned to be - commenced in their neighbourhood," he said.

"What we're doing is spelling out the facts about the NBN's performance, instead of trying to create false impressions.

"Under the Labor regime, they were basically being misled.

"The Labor fog and spin about the NBN has been brought to an end."

Labor's former communications spokesman Stephen Conroy has told Sky News the latest data shows there has been a drop-off in the number of homes connected to the NBN during the past month.

He says that will have flow-on effects.

"Malcolm Turnbull has stalled the NBN rollout," he said.

"And what that's going to mean is later this week you're going to start to see some of the contractors, the workers who've been rolling this out, are going to be laid off."

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Wow, what a screaming hysteria thread

Even the dills at the ABC reported it correctly :

Whinge pool has some good posts on the merits of the FTTH .

Also admin what speed internet connection do you have presently as your attitude towards the NBN FTTH style could be different if you were stuck on a 1.5Mbps like myself.

Administrator
    Thanks

Shit, that has got to be the best change of subject I have ever seen Marty. Possible potential for Labor shadow ministry

What does FTTH have to do with the false information you and others have posted ?

Answer ? Zero.

Sometimes in life its just easier to admit you fudged up by not actually checking facts. One person posts incorrect information and the rest take it and run with it until someone points out its wrong. The fact that there is no source in the original post should be enough to get most people to check facts.

Banned

Thanks

. One person posts incorrect information and the rest take it and run with it until someone points out its wrong.
    Are you talking about Gordons post as I believe he is correct furthermore you believe every thing you say is fact whilst I do not.

And what speed did you say you were sitting on?

Banned
    Thanks

There is no knowledge what anyone will get
    NBN rollout page

Note the text at the top

This website is currently under review, pending the introduction of new Government policy.
    Some content may not be current. You should not rely solely on this information.

From a selfish point of view, I don't think I will ever get a better landline service due to my locality. See the .png link at the bottom of my threads to show my max speed now, and paying for adsl2.
    This is the best Telstra can give.
    I do not tend to believe this will be cured for me by fibre, as it will never get to me, further, my existing line is at max now.
    My only alternatives seem to be satellite nbn....(I don't want another dish ) or wireless.
    I have never ever seen, even under both political parties, a roll out map of where nbn via wireless or satellite will be used.
    The old information was that if you were not to get fibre, you would get satellite or wireless.
    It mustn't be too hard to realise which number of people will never get nbn fibre or copper increased speeds offered now, going on all the info they now know. It really seems a matter of those living in cities, larger regional centres, of who was going to get the initial promised fibre, and now possible copper upgrades, of whether they will now or not to be given faster access.
    So why can't they tell us now what we ( outer areas) should be getting now, or at least when the coalition releases its plan?

I have that gut feeling, when they do release any maps, again they will not tell us out of city / regional areas, when / what we will be getting.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    Are you talking about Gordons post as I believe he is correct furthermore you believe every thing you say is fact whilst I do not.

And what speed did you say you were sitting on?
    Ok, post up for me some sort of link to support what Gordon says in his post then instead. I have posted a link to the ABC to support mine and they are pro Labor. Its great to hear that you think everything you say is not fact........I came to the same conclusion after reading your posts in this thread.

And give the 'what speed is yours" garbage a rest unless you really want to lose all credability completely. There is enough garbage NBN threads on this site as it is without you trying to steer this one off topic to avoid the actual topic.

The facts are that all NBN maps have been updated to accurately reflect their current status. All suburbs that falsely state "under construction" now have correct status on them. Now people actually know the truth of where it is really up to, rather than the false information Labor had on them. Does truth really terrify you that much ?

Do you really believe that they are going to build an NBN network for the entire population of Australia and just not have one for the people in these suburbs ?

It gets more hilarious with every post.

What you and your fellow saucepan bangers need to accept is this :

Labor is gone

The NBN is going ahead

We will not be getting FTTH

We WILL be getting FTTN

I would suggest that you read this link Marty from the Liberal Party website. This is the best way for you to see what you WILL be getting. I noticed recently that some of your claims are totally incorrect, lets just stick to facts.

What is being offered is in fact better for your circumstances, though you will no doubt claim it isnt purely because its not from the Labor party.

Its a great pity that Austech is becoming full of outright ridiculous NBN posts because it has rendered this part of the forum useless to anyone wanting to find out any valid information. Its also a great pity that even when facts are placed out in front of someone, they are still in denial, simply based on a political agenda.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    There is no knowledge what anyone will get
    NBN rollout page

Note the text at the top

This website is currently under review, pending the introduction of new Government policy.
    Some content may not be current. You should not rely solely on this information.

From a selfish point of view, I don't think I will ever get a better landline service due to my locality. See the .png link at the bottom of my threads to show my max speed now, and paying for adsl2.
    This is the best Telstra can give.
    I do not tend to believe this will be cured for me by fibre, as it will never get to me, further, my existing line is at max now.
    My only alternatives seem to be satellite nbn....(I don't want another dish ) or wireless.
    I have never ever seen, even under both political parties, a roll out map of where nbn via wireless or satellite will be used.
    The old information was that if you were not to get fibre, you would get satellite or wireless.
    It mustn't be too hard to realise which number of people will never get nbn fibre or copper increased speeds offered now, going on all the info they now know. It really seems a matter of those living in cities, larger regional centres, of who was going to get the initial promised fibre, and now possible copper upgrades, of whether they will now or not to be given faster access.
    So why can't they tell us now what we ( outer areas) should be getting now, or at least when the coalition releases its plan?

I have that gut feeling, when they do release any maps, again they will not tell us out of city / regional areas, when / what we will be getting.
    I think your right viewer, mainly because what methods certain areas are getting is not yet set in stone. I am not 100% sure, but I do know there was a 60 day review going on and I am not sure if it has been completed. It would be good to know what areas are getting what though and hopefully this is something that gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Banned

Thanks

Ok, post up for me some sort of link to support what Gordon says in his post then instead.
    MALCOLM TURNBULL:
    The goal

the

our policy is very clear. We have got a survey
    un
    der
    way to identify
    those parts of Australi
    a that have the worst broadband

you know,
    where the need for upgrades is greatest. And they will be prioritised. We’re also

the NBN
    will also focus on rolling out upgraded services to areas where there is the g
    reatest demand

y
    o
    u k
    now, business, industrial parks,
    business areas

w
    here you can actually generate some
    early revenue.
    Last edited by marty 17; 04-11-13 at 04:29 PM.

Banned

Thanks

Dont know what happened with the cut and paste but the link is there admin if you care to read it.

Banned

Thanks

Its great to hear that you think everything you say is not fact........I came to the same conclusion after reading your posts in this thread.
    I said "you" believe every thing that you post is gospel.

And yes I do vote labor and you don't any more, what would they not let you deal the cards at their Euchre parties or something as I think you once were a labor supporter.

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast