Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple vs the rest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    How can I dissuade my 8yo grandaughter from her wish to own a Ipad when there are a lot of similar products out there a lot cheaper.

She is getting a tablet for Xmas and paying for 1/2 of it herself from her savings she has made from odd jobs etc.
    Well...my advise is that you don't try to dissuade her. The fact that she has already come up with half of the savings is indicative of the fact that she has put her heart and soul into acquiring one. Hopefully you can meet her with the other half of the money and help her to add another experience to her youthful life. Sometimes we have to experience things for ourselves before we draw universal conclusions and truths. The fact is that there are cheaper devices out there - but she needs to learn by experience. That Ipad could break the very night she gets it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carneita2000 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-12-13)

Thanks

Ok I have to point this out , at that age it is about the name they hear everyone talk about. But think this's through an 8 year old will drop the tablet which is easier and cheaper to fix. secondly will you be paying for apps , if so which device has the most free apps because they will mostly use it for games and games they play for 2 days and then get a new one. So think of what will be done on the device too ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to wwalford For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (20-12-13)

Thanks

My mom used to be a diehard apple fan... until she accidently/it was on sale bought a galaxy tab and she fell in love with it and denounced alot of the apple products she was using because she loved that there were more free apps and to her she liked the interface alot more. I think it really does depend on the person. Mind you she still own a mac but thats mostly because she writes music and its mac's have alot of recording software (so she says anyway).

• The Following User Says Thank You to jbeavis100 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (20-12-13)

Thanks

At that age, I'd get them a cheaper + more kid-proof tablet, like the Kindle Fire or Nabi or even the Nook or Nexus 7. All of those are much cheaper, and the Nabi and Kindle Fire have features aimed towards kids, like being able to limit gaming time and disabling after a certain time of day. The iPad doesn't have many of these controls, and it's also a bit more fragile and expensive to repair.

Thanks

Yeah, the Galaxy Tab is pretty tough too.. I've accidently.. stepped on it.. twice.. and the screen didn't crack!

Thanks

An iPad is good but for me, I don't like it as much as the other tablets out there, mainly because it's too specific to Apple. For example, if I would like to view videos of any file name, it does not always work with iPad and you need to follow a certain way to transfer the files onto it. Also, the cheaper tablets out there allow for direct USB plugging onto the tablet, which is at all not possible with iPad. With other tablets, you can basically do your word file in it and save it directly into your USB. Very much like how a computer would work.

Thanks

Probably she has seen her friends with some good looking iPads so for this reason you just have to get the iPad for her. I think that Apple products are just overrated and their more products out there that are more better but are mid priced.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more. But kids are kids and due to how "cool" some things are and some things arent, it can be near impossible to change their minds.

What does she think of the Samsung Galaxy tab ?
    Hahahahaha. True story

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Grandson (6) has a Galaxy Tab and it has not missed a beat! Grandson (3) has an iPad and needs to "purchase" videos (which they already own) through the istore to watch on the thing. He and mum are visiting from QLD for a week so that's how long I have to try and find a way to convert "frozen" into an iPad format. Suggestions, anyone? (BTW. I hate iTunes with a passion!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Despite Apple's many faults, I must reluctantly recommend you go with the IPad. Then try to gradually get her to play with Android and a Windows computer in the hope she will change later. At that age the IPad will do everything she wants without any fuss, and most of her friends will end up with the same. There will be some extra damage to your pocket (and to hers) but probably worth it at this stage. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Default Apple vs the rest.

Handbrake is the easiest to use convertor that will create files for the iPad

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    How can I dissuade my 8yo grandaughter from her wish to own a Ipad when there are a lot of similar products out there a lot cheaper.

She is getting a tablet for Xmas and paying for 1/2 of it herself from her savings she has made from odd jobs etc.
    Thanks for all the replies and the daughter took the android option a hisense sero pro (2 of ) and herself and the girls are happy and have not managed to destroy them yet neither.

Thanks

Both my girls 7 and 11 have android tablets and they love them, i put some girly mp3's on them and got them headphones Eldest one stood on hers a few days ago after me constantly telling her to pick it up and put it away so now i have to find and fit a touchscreen digitizer to it, thankfully the lcd screen is fine.
    This after me not long ago replacing a laptop screen due to her carelessness , this time she will be earning it.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, jok11n, haven't played with that for a few years. Broken screen, be careful, the digitiser is welded to the LCD and the glue must be carefully melted. (I destroyed my Galaxy Note trying to fix that one).

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

loanrangiel (29-06-14)

Thanks

I have a hot air rework station so maybe some low heat to loosen the glue and gently prise it off.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12