Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple vs the rest.

Banned

Thanks

Default Apple vs the rest.

How can I dissuade my 8yo grandaughter from her wish to own a Ipad when there are a lot of similar products out there a lot cheaper.

She is getting a tablet for Xmas and paying for 1/2 of it herself from her savings she has made from odd jobs etc.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Unfortunately that age think Apple are the ducks guts and its hard to tell them different.

Banned

Thanks

My Daughter has apple products and she is just starting to realise how proprietary they are.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I couldnt agree with you more. But kids are kids and due to how "cool" some things are and some things arent, it can be near impossible to change their minds.

What does she think of the Samsung Galaxy tab ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (04-11-13)

Thanks

I have use both ios and android. here's my advice. if it is for an 8yo kid. i would definitely get the apple ipad. it's alot easier to use than any other devices.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben10 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (04-11-13),ol' boy (10-11-13)

Banned

Thanks

Thanks for the input guy's I shall think about it .

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ben10 View Post
    I have use both ios and android. here's my advice. if it is for an 8yo kid. i would definitely get the apple ipad. it's alot easier to use than any other devices.
    I couldn't agree more. I have a foot in every camp (jake the peg) and I would have to say that with the apple iOS you won't be running back and forth fixing freezes, virus, adware etc for a child as you would with android or windows. And thats my own experience only. Other more capable parents can no doubt set up android tablets to avoid problems I have mentioned

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (04-11-13)

Thanks

I must agree, both my kids have ipads and ipods and they have no issues
    the other thing is it is easier for presents, itunes card helps decision making sometimes

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (04-11-13)

Thanks

Hey Marty

another thing to think about is most of the education institutions are using ipad 2's for their choice of technology, meaning the kids are encouraged to use them for everything

my advice - get a really good cover otherwise you will be calling someone like me to replace the digitiser 2 days after she gets it

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (05-11-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'm faced with a similar dilemma. I was looking at tabs at office works yesterday.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (05-11-13)

Thanks

like freake says most schools go down the ipad way as it is easier to maintain them, we did the same thing at our school
    I know of a couple of schools here and they went down the bring your own device to school way and they have more trouble using some of the curriclum teaching programs because of OS issues.

At present if she takes it to use at school then the apple is the better method

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (05-11-13)

Thanks

I personally will never (probably) own anything starting with an 'i' - but if she's paying half, then I reckon she can have whatever she likes
    If she has her heart set on an ipad I would just get it for her. Ask yourself this - "How happy do I want her to be when she rips open the wrapping ?"
    My GF recently lost her ipad, and I've been trying to lead her towards a samsung or nexus - but I'm having no luck It seems that that girls don't get any smarter as they get older
    I will eventually cave and pay for a bloody ipad I suppose

Good luck.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mods For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (05-11-13)

Thanks

Well uh. It would be really hard to change her mind. For me personally, girls that age want one just because 'everybody else' has one so it's more a question of social relationships than the actual product, at least that's what I think. If I was in your shoes, I'd just go for it. Changing her mind would take time and a lot of effort, and will also make her unhappy. If she will really enjoy the iPad, then I guess you should go for it. She will be happy and will love you twice as much.

• The Following User Says Thank You to rebel For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-11-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

My partner has an Android Phone and an Android Tablet, both Samsung Galaxy.
    She brought these items as she didnt want to use iTunes etc... This coming from someone that has no idea of Technology really, she had never had a smart phone before let alone a tablet (go figure)....

6 months later as part of her job, they have given her an iPad.... And you guessed it, she loves it, so much easier to use, less buttons, long charge...
    She also often eye's off my 2 iPhones now, saying she likes the size better and the feel. On this point, i also agree (i have a SG S3, to big to one hand text)

There is just no doubting, iProducts are just simple to use with out all the techy settings and endless options.... Sometimes, that is what device should be!
    The quickest, simplest means to an end.... with the less human input as possible.

Personally, if she wants a iPad... get an iPad, its not like it wont work, it will always have good resale value and it will be the same as all her friends.

My partners Samsung Galaxy Tab was good the first week she owned it, but now its a lot slower. You dont seem to get that with iProducts as much.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 10-11-13 at 12:29 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-11-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Another thing that shits me about my Android products, is the way they handle photos and images.

With an iProduct, all Photos taken by the device, images downloaded, or sent by Viber, email, whatever, end up in one simple Photo Roll in order of Date.
    In the my Android devices, there are multiple folders and they keep on growing the more Apps you had that handle images.

So when i go to look for an image, sometimes i have no idea where to look.
    This feature might be preferable for some, but it piss's me off.

Also, a lot of Apps work better on an iProduct, like its been made native for Apple, then cheaply developed for Android.
    An Example is "Rain".... and App for the BoM Rain Radar... so much nicer on iPhone than Android.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 10-11-13 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

If she's 8, I would go to the store and point out 3 or 4 devices that she can choose from that you feel would all be the child's best interest. If an Apple product isn't in those options, then she'll have to go without it. There are also great tablets on the market especially for children. Have you checked out the Meep Tablet, they also have the Meep X2 out this year as well. They are Android based tablets. We got one for my son last year (he's 7) and its been an excellent table for a child. It also has parental control capabilities.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

My son has been playing with an Android pad (Chinese clone of something) since he was 4 or 5.
    It is about the only device he doesn't bother me with.

He is now 7 and is still playing with that same device right at this moment I am typing this.

Edit: I want to add that I don't see anything wrong with teaching your kids how to fix something themselves if there is a problem. Because Android is open and flexible, finding solutions is almost always an option. Show them that.
    If the i-devices are so good that they never fail, then your child will never learn to be more than a consumer idiot because the only sensible thing you can do with them when they DO fail, is buy a new one.
    ... and please discard the broken one to mee
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-11-13 at 05:15 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-11-13),marty 17 (17-11-13)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

My tribe all grew up with technology, back when DOS was king, they learnt how to find their way through all sorts so that when they started school, their first 'puter class was not until high school. After the first lesson, teacher said to eldest, turn up every week, teach me what you know, and you've passed. My two eldest now work in the industry.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (18-11-13)

Thanks

Apple tends to charge more for their branding as opposed to the actual technology they offer. Instead of going mass market like Microsoft has, they tend to target a more musical based niche (producers, mixers etc) or quite literally the hipster niche. The problem comes in that their technology is quite far behind for general use and doesn't warrant the price compared to what you can get on a Microsoft computer, so I'll always opt in for a Windows based PC or phone over Apple technology.

Thanks

Yeah my 11 year old is stuck on Apple as well! I got off the Ipad however by just buying the Galaxy Tab 2 and letting her use it. Then she realized it was just as good, but the easier thing I think at that age is to let the sales people help you. They won't believe you, but they will be believe the people that work around the product all day long. You just gotta talk to the salesman first to make sure they are your side. Good luck!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast