Thread: Slow response since adding two cams ( total 4 )

Thanks

Default Slow response since adding two cams ( total 4 )

My system is made up of the following

1) Dell desktop, 3gb core 2 Duo , 4gb ram, 120gb HDD running " Blue Iris"
    2) D-Link , Gigabit POE switch, 8 port ( 4 with POE). Has the 4 cameras connected to it.
    3) 3 x CCDCAM IP-EC5911P + 1 x EC-IP5923F
    4) 2wire modem , 2701HGV-W

The 4 cams are hard wired to the POE switch with cat5. The POE switch is then connected to an ethernet port on the 2wire modem. The desktop running "Blue Iris software" is connected via ethernet port to the 2wire modem.

I have two problems I am currently battling with.

1) Since adding the two new cams, 1 x EC5911P + 1 x EC-IP5923F, the video streams on my desktop monitor keep dropping out ( Blue Iris ) on each camera intermittently so I am driving something too hard, but what ? The video streams on the supplied UC software are slow but don't drop out like the "Blue Iris"

2) One of the 2 new cams I have added is a PTZ cam, EC-IP5923F. I have not been able to work out which set up option in Blue Iris to use so I can work the cam options for movement etc. Ken from Blue Iris wants access to it to figure out its settings but I have not been able how to give him access. I cant quite figure out how to port forward to this camera so he can access it.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jex; 05-11-13 at 10:19 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have noticed the CPU is running 100% most of the time with the 4 cams. Maybe it is the issue ? What would be the ideal spec for a computer running 4 hd cams ?

Thanks

Try Team Viewer to allow Ken access. It's remote desktop and he'll be able to access everything he needs to without port forwarding.

As for the PC, are you using the integrated (onboard) graphics? If so try putting a dedicated video card in before going to the extreme of replacing the PC.

that being said an I5 Tower isn't all that expensive anymore.

Thanks

If the PC CPU is at 100% then you are trying to use more processor power than you have.
    If you are displaying the video and recording it then both are requiring power especially the decoding process required to display.
    A video card will help, it also depends whether your cameras and software have and can, pick up dual streams. If your cameras have it and the software can pick it up, this will save processing power.
    i5 looks a better option if the software is designed to access the extra processing threads the i5 has.
    I run i5 2440ghz, 4gb ram, 64bit OS and I get 7fps @ 1080p live at 94% CPU usage FWIW.

Thanks

Yes, using the on board graphics card. maybe try a video card first, what would you suggest ? The pc is only used for the 4 cameras.

I am displaying video and recording alerts which are not very often. The alert recording time is set for 1 minute.

By dual streams do you "main stream " and "sub Stream" ?

Thanks

Yes, Main Stream is full res (what ever the cams are 1,2,3,5MP etc) and 2nd stream say D1.
    Reason this is important is that if viewing in matrix 4ch at once there is a big detriment to using the Main stream, since the PC has to display it and then compress it into a matrix and downsize. If you are using the dual stream for display, then there is a lot less processing as the stream is just being decoded and not compressed.
    If you go to 1ch screen, then it should be able to pickup the main stream again.
    I am not sure how the Blue Iris does it, but you would generally have to enable this type of feature in the camera and software.
    Suffice to say, it is not possible in all softwares and cameras.
    So just make sure that if it can do it, then make sure it is set up to do it.

Hard to say what video card to use, simply because it is an older motherboard. I would suggest either getting all the numbers/codes and taking a picture of it and go into a geek store and asking what will fit. For memory, it sounds similar to the PC I have which is running a 1gig GT460 card... (i think) and it handles the load ok similar to my i5 running no graphics card both OS is 64bit which you will need for more ram.

Thanks

I noticed today, the Dell has an extra video card with DVI-D connector on it. I connected the monitor to it but not much difference. Drop outs not as long but still regular.
    Last edited by jex; 09-11-13 at 02:03 PM.