Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's First 3D Printed Metal Gun

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Default World's First 3D Printed Metal Gun

The Texas-based firm Solid Concepts has now managed to produce a metal-made weapon by 3D printing. A metallic powder was placed for this purpose with a laser in the form of layer by layer. Initial tests have shown that with the weapon over 50 shots could be fired before the strength of the material used could not be guaranteed.

Solid Concepts wanted to prove with this experiment that they are able to supply arm fans with customized components and spare parts for weapons, even if they are no longer produced.

Video (2013/6/11 - 2:16 mins)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

best4less (12-11-13),Shana (22-11-13)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

When I was young lad watching Lost in Space ( in Back and White LOL )and they use to get food out of a machine with a push of a button

well they will be printing hamburgers real soon i am guessing
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This was called a 'replicator' in the 'Star Trek' series in that same era.

And if you remember the film 'Forbidden Planet' starring Walter Pidgeon and Ann Margaret, Robbie the Robot had the ability to copy items and it demonstrated this ability for the Space ships cook when it drank a bottle of Bourbon and supplied the cook with several cases of it later to his great delight.

Just after the details were published about this 3D printer making a working gun , the NSW Police showed a video they made of making a gun using this printer technique and also the test firing of the weapon.
    In their demonstration which they claimed followed the instructions exactly, the gun did fire but it also exploded after the first firing in a way the user would have suffered some injuries at least to the hand area depending on the spray of material.
    I cant remember if the bullet hit its intended target or was deflected by the chamber disintegrating.

Now exactly who is telling the truth with the reliability of the parts made with this technique is any body's guess.
    The question is whether the claims made by Solid Concepts are the results of a single, first time making and firing of the gun or the best result out of an unknown number of tries.

The NSW Police claim was this was their first and only attempt at making this gun they tested.
    Obviously the Police arent going to say this was the worst result out of 10 are they?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-11-13 at 12:28 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It’s definitely going to raise the standard for firearms in the near future. There may be a lot of individuals that can have their dreams fulfilled of having their favorite weapon that would have been rare to find. Whether or not there's higher durability and reliability for those weapons, only time will tell.

Might cause some conflict with gun laws, ownership, and such in other regions, but things like that will invariably happen.
    Last edited by Linkzelda41; 12-11-13 at 03:09 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    This was called a 'replicator' in the 'Star Trek' series in that same era.

And if you remember the film 'Forbidden Planet' starring Walter Pidgeon and Ann Margaret, Robbie the Robot had the ability to copy items and it demonstrated this ability for the Space ships cook when it drank a bottle of Bourbon and supplied the cook with several cases of it later to his great delight.

Just after the details were published about this 3D printer making a working gun , the NSW Police showed a video they made of making a gun using this printer technique and also the test firing of the weapon.
    In their demonstration which they claimed followed the instructions exactly, the gun did fire but it also exploded after the first firing in a way the user would have suffered some injuries at least to the hand area depending on the spray of material.
    I cant remember if the bullet hit its intended target or was deflected by the chamber disintegrating.

Now exactly who is telling the truth with the reliability of the parts made with this technique is any body's guess.
    The question is whether the claims made by Solid Concepts are the results of a single, first time making and firing of the gun or the best result out of an unknown number of tries.

The NSW Police claim was this was their first and only attempt at making this gun they tested.
    Obviously the Police arent going to say this was the worst result out of 10 are they?
    I believe the police sample was made of composite plastic not metal.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I was thinking that 3D printers wouldn't be able to manage the structural strength required for most of the chamber pressures.
    So I had been hoping to hear of lots of my favourite kinds of idiots printing guns and then losing fingers for their efforts.

I'm still of the opinion that room temperature metallic printers won't be able to achieve the required strength.
    Or that some ceramic printers might be able to take up the slack.
    However, I have been carefully waiting to see if any hybrid printing had been done.
    ie. Think of placing a metallic tube into a 3D printer and then printing around the structure as a scaffold to achieve better strength.

In the end, I'm not too worried about printing guns. The idiots will still hold their guns sideways like retarded gangsta's and won't be able to hit anything.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

best4less (12-11-13),jok11n (12-11-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I believe the police sample was made of composite plastic not metal.
    As far as I am aware, a 3D printer uses a laser beam to fuse synthetic material together, not metal.

If I remember rightly, the Police claimed to use the same material and techniques as the originating company did.
    I tend to believe they did because had they not, the company and others could demonstrate that the test wasnt done correctly which would boost the original companies claims of how good their system was.

No metal was used in either case as part of the makers claim was that this gun was undetectable as it was made of synthetic materials.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

a few different formats, what they claim to have used though I'm not sure

can't see your average crim trying to get a 200k printer to make a gun when he could just buy one for a few hundred dollars at a train station, pub, wrecking yard or wherever it is they do their transactions these days

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    a few different formats, what they claim to have used though I'm not sure

can't see your average crim trying to get a 200k printer to make a gun when he could just buy one for a few hundred dollars at a train station, pub, wrecking yard or wherever it is they do their transactions these days
    While the local lowlife certainly wouldnt have the 'Readies' to buy one or the intelligence to use it, your local 'Mr Big' whose awash with monies derived from other 'enterprises' might see it as a means of diversifying their 'business'.

Many years ago when VCR's were still worth a $1000 each, one place that was busted for Video Piracy had a room full of them, over 30 of them happily churning out copies of the new releases of the day.

After watching those shows on what the big Drug gangs are doing to import the drugs by building their own submarines even, buying a 3D printer pales into insignificance.

Money is no object if you have an agenda that needs guns to implement it like Terrorists or Drug Cartels.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-11-13 at 12:48 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Googled 3D printers, didn,t come up Admin any chance of making it a Heading
    3D printers for $200, check out the link re finance for more info

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

They won't need the guns when they have molecular printers. They'll just be able to print their drugs

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    They won't need the guns when they have molecular printers. They'll just be able to print their drugs
    Thats an unpleasant thought but seeing as they can synthesise everything else, why not?

Premium Member

Thanks

I just remembered that this gun that started the thread was made from Ceramic material both here and in the USA (Texas), NOT metallic as watchdog suggested.

Thanks

Molecular printing is quite exciting. Think about being about to print DNA. Select the genes you want and then have them printed.
    Being able to just change single nuclease peptides (SNPs) at will is exciting. Being able to print a entire sequence of messenger RNA or transcripts is even more exciting
    Or an entire chromosome of DNA which will be as exciting to genetic engineering as smoking crack cocaine from the exhaust pipe of a concorde.

Premium Member

Thanks

Makes the experiments by Dr's Frankenstein and Jekyll pale into insignificance somewhat, eh Trash?
    It continues to prove the point that what is thought up one day no matter how far out it is, may become the reality of tomorrow.

Or an entire chromosome of DNA which will be as exciting to genetic engineering as smoking crack cocaine from the exhaust pipe of a concorde.
    Ahhha, So THATS the reason why they had to final'y ground the Concorde, it was getting Too HIGH ???

Sorry bout dat !!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-11-13 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks

Crack - Only in America would there be a guy that cocaine wasn't good enough for.

Somebody comes up with a cool idea, but then some other clever cookie finds an even better application for it.
    Usually completely different and ten times better than the original idea.

Dr Jekyll and Dr Frankenstein I think were poor role models. They both only had good intentions, combine this with the stupidity of others and the road to hell is paved like like an autobahn !

Hyde would fit very well into modern society. He'd go down to Coogee Bay Hotel and glass other patrons.
    He'd soon be arrested by released back on the street by some Magistrate only to king hit somebody on his way home.
    The only thing that eventually stops him is when the cops taser his arse a couple of times which transforms him back to Jekyll (Medical student at UNSW) for another couple of weeks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    The Texas-based firm Solid Concepts has now managed to produce a metal-made weapon by 3D printing.
    Video (2013/6/11 - 2:16 mins)
    Some texans did this? Of course it would be texans that would get a new computer toy and say, "lets use it to make guns!"

Thanks

No, Texan's go the other way. They computerised their firearms' targeting. Like Rodney Dangerfield's laser guided putter in Caddyshack

Thanks

Wow, that is crazy! A 3D print of anything is crazy to me still, but of a gun is insane! I can't believe they were able to get it to shoot at all! Great that is was made here in America though!

And caddyshack is such a good movie!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

saw , (actually it was similar) on TV tonight! This is where 3D printing is beneficial!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast