Thread: Updating Nuvi 1350

Thanks

Default Updating Nuvi 1350

MasterRadio got a Nuvi 1350 in an auction lot and asked me to update it, .img looks to be 2010 vintage. I haven't dabbled into Garmin before and would appreciate any tips and tricks to avoid disaster. I have read the sticky tut ant it looks straight forward enough but what new files to use escapes me atm. Advice would be appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi MrRadio, first backup the entire unit including hidden .sytem folder as per tut, then for that unit which is a Sensis based unit the correct & latest map is this,
    Use the unlocked .img file, after downloading & extracting the rar file; name or rename as per tutorial. You will be replacing gmapprom.img on the unit in the hidden .system folder.
    JCV D2003130A included with the above map set is the only other file you will need for this map set to work correctly; as per tutorial to instal in the folder Nuvi:\.system\JCV

If you prefer the Navteq based map set it will work as well, latest is

Trying not to confuse you, however both maps can be on the unit at the same time with different names in different places. Second map can be in a Folder you create in the base/root of the Unit called Map & named anythingyoulike.img, however only one at a time should be selected in the GPS menu; Tools/Settings/Map/Info.

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

MrRadio (13-11-13)

Thanks

Fortune favours the brave (and those who follow Tiny's instructions). Thanks again

• The Following User Says Thank You to MrRadio For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-11-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Forgot to mention that if you wish to update the firmware on the 1350, you can do so for free by downloading & connecting your GPS, then follow the prompts. It will also give you a link to the User Manual download for free.
    It will update any free files, it may also try to sell you maps as you probably don't have lifetime map updates, however you don't have to buy.
    It's not necessary to do so, however they usually have updated firmware for the purpose of eliminating operation bugs.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Hi MrRadio. My preference would be the 2014.20 Sensis maps at this stage because I find that with Navteq maps the map data they use to compile their maps appears to be very old. I say this from observing mistakes/omissions in Navteq updates so far.
    Two that come to mind is that there is no road shown from Nornanton to Karumba in the Qld Gulf (this will realy upset the Barramundi fishermen), also the street I live in shows fully formed in Sensis maps but is a dotted line in Navteq maps. It's been here at least 20 years or so and other roads are wrongly named.
    Just follow Tiny's instructions you'll be ok. I found it scarry the first time I updated my 1490T but now it's easy. Don't forget to save original files first.
    Cheers