Thread: Vast Rego help

Thanks

Default Vast Rego help

I have received approval for VAST services with a temporary 42000000000 smart card number.
    I really want to use a VAST CAM and smart card in my own box rather than the approved boxes.

When I re-submit the smart card number from a VAST Cam/smartcard combo will I be asked at the time for a decoder box ID or will I be able to say nothing and just give the smartcard ID.
    When you have gained temporary approval on a 42000000000 number can you re-submit using the internet or do you have to talk to a human as the email replay is of no help.

Does anyone know if the Vast Cam/card works in an OpenBox S10

Cheers GranDad.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

All you will be asked for on the VAST online rego is the smart card number. & your Address & ID.
    No box model or serial number necessary.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

GranDad (26-11-13)

Thanks

Thank you Tiny, the problem is I have been through the on line registration using a temporary card number to gain approval, I am just not sure how to covert that to a permanent one when I get my real smart card number which may involve speaking to a human and being quizzed about the box.

Cheers GranDad

i

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Grandad, I think you are off track here because if I read you correctly, all you have done so far is to be 'area' approved with that card number to APPLY for activation when you get the VAST smart card.

Remember anyone can have the ABC and SBS anywhere but they must apply and quote the Smart Card, its the commercial channels that are approved separately and wont be activated if your not in an Approved VAST area unless your a 'Traveler'.

I did those applications for 3 others to show they were eligible to receive all the VAST channels when they bought the STB and when they did, I remade the applications using the relevant numbers on the supplied Smart cards in each STB.
    The previous application made using that 'blank number' had no bearing on the activation of the official Smart card.

You need to read all the details on the application and it will tell you that using the 'Blank Number' will NOT activate the VAST service until you quote the official Smart card number when it arrives.

As Tiny says, they have changed the system because when I did the last one now 12 months ago, you had to supply make and serial number of the Stb being used as well as the Smart Card number.
    Basically if you know your in an approved VAST area, you dont need to make that pre -application.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-11-13 at 10:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

GranDad (26-11-13)

Thanks

Thank you for your reply gordon_s1942

My situation is I am not in a VAST approved area. I live in an area that according to the VAST coverage checker says I should have excellent terrestrial coverage.

I however have terrible DVB-T reception as I live in a black spot. It seemed silly to me to buy my equipment first and then to be told by VAST that I wad ineligible for the service thus loosing my money on the gear, and I was not going to pay for a site survey along with the person telling me that he could get this Yagi or that Phased Array with this amplifier and lots of dollars before he would sign off on VAST.

I thought I would use the online registration option and chose the temporary 42000000000 smart card number option. I also noted that there was a comments box on the application so I decided to let them know I was in a black spot explaining all the details carefully, I did not expect this to work with out a site survey. After this process I received an email telling me I was ineligible to receive VAST services and my details would be forwarded to The Broadcasters for consideration and that it would take 15 days in the mean time ABC and SBS would be switched on (still cant work out how on a 42000000000 smart card number, must get lots of hits).

I waited the time, it actually took 20 days and low and behold VAST approved my application. Which leads me back to the question how do I convert my temporary approval to a permanent approval.

If I do it on line again I will only go back into the loop of being told I am ineligible.

Cheers GranDad

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GranDad View Post
    I waited the time, it actually took 20 days and low and behold VAST approved my application. Which leads me back to the question how do I convert my temporary approval to a permanent approval.

If I do it on line again I will only go back into the loop of being told I am ineligible.

Cheers GranDad
    In that case it may be necessary for you to register the smart card number with VAST over the phone so you can quote the approval number?
    Just hope they don't ask you what Decoder you have?
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-11-13 at 09:29 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

GranDad (26-11-13)

Thanks

Yes Tiny that's what I am worried about, don't want to blow my money on the cam.

I just noticed they have an on line enquire form that includes a smartcard number () , maybe if I quote the new smartcard number
    explain that I have been approved with my details, tell them the box is tuned to the information channel they may authorise the card, duno.

Cheers GranDad
    Last edited by GranDad; 26-11-13 at 09:46 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Grandad, your reply is basically just a 'Form Letter' and that advise regarding the 'Switching On' of the ABC/SBS channels is because NO matter where you live in Australia, you are eligible to receive them from VAST if and when you obtain a STB and Smart Card.

Its the Commercial channels that are the killer.
    I am hoping either MTV who is a professional installer or other experienced Forum members can advise us what the procedures are now for those like you who are in poor Terrestrial reception areas to obtain obtain ALL the VAST channels.
    Personally, and I hope I am wrong, I think you have to go through having to have a survey done and making declarations for the 'Switching On' of the Commercial channels.
    I do have a solution I used before my area became a VAST area and Authorisation is now automatic.

I will send you a PM setting out my solution.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

GranDad (26-11-13),marty 17 (26-11-13)

Thanks

Good News

I bit the bullet and purchase the VAST/smartcard single channel the suppler gave me the new smart card number, I rang VAST told them I had approval gave them my details and the number and the card was activated, it went like clock work.

All hurdles out of the way, only thing left to do is set it all up when the gear arrives

at the end of the day with $295 for the cam and $80 for the box its only a little over the price of the three approved boxes except I have the freedom of my own box.

Cheers GranDad

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GranDad View Post
    Does anyone know if the Vast Cam/card works in an OpenBox S10
    There's no reason why it shouldn't. I know UltraPlus and DM8000 work. But sheesh, $300 bucks for a card and cam is a lot then the price of the receiver on top of that? You can get a Humax for low 2 humdreds and I know which box I'd prefer.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

GranDad (11-12-13)

Thanks

I have to agree with you LeroyPatrol and it was a hard decision.

But can you swing your dish around a couple of degrees and tune in any other sat with the Humax or any other of the approved boxes. In my case I need that function and did not want to have the hassle of changing connection between two boxes.

Cheers GranDad

Thanks

that's why we have diseqc switches...

• The Following User Says Thank You to beeblebrox For This Useful Post:

GranDad (11-12-13)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
    that's why we have diseqc switches...
    So a diseqc switch shall allow you to use the Humax or any other of the approved boxesto tune D2,D1,Intelsat8 etc eh?

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

GranDad (11-12-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Yeah, nah, I think beeble misinterpreted that.

Good stuff GrandDad. I don't think there's an easy way to save applications locally, so you would have needed to fill out the form again from scratch. If you ever get another CAM, just do another form and you should be sweet, no need to call them.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

GranDad (11-12-13)

Thanks

All my equipment arrived safely. While I was at it I purchased a new 80CM dish and an extra LNB (and dual bracket) as well as a DiSEqC switch, so it was out with the old and in with the new, my old Hummi finally in the cupboard. The setup of the OpenBox S10 was reasonably easy it just took a new way of looking at it. After updating the firmware I got pictures straight away.

I must comment on how good the picture quality is on VAST, true HD at last, 1920 x 1080 on GEM. Probably the long way of doing it but isn't that what a hobby is all about.

Cheers GranDad

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranDad For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (11-12-13),Tiny (10-12-13),tristen (10-12-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

I can compare both Terrestrial and VAST and I agree with your comments about the quality of the VAST picture.

In many ways going 'new' will pay off as it means you hopefully wont have any problems for many years to come because as you get 'more matured', which sounds nicer, the last thing you want to do go clambering about trying to patch up old gear.

The shame is the bloody programing doesnt match the quality of the transmission.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

GranDad (11-12-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

double post dammit.