Thread: VAST & HDMI switching

Thanks

Default VAST & HDMI switching

Hi All,
    I am having some problems connecting a UEC4121(RV) to a HDMI switcher then to a 4/way split for a TV system. By connecting the decoder directly to the splitter all works OK, but when connected to the switcher the decoder is not recognised. Other devices connected are FOX, Blueray & Xbox360. The decoder is set to 1080i & the switcher manual says that it should be compatible I even tried the swapping the output from the FOX box and plugging it in to the UEC device without success. The switcher shows a connection but no sound or pic. It did come from fleebay and was just a cheap device but is V1.4 compliant.
    Any ideas appreciated. Perhaps others have suffered this same situation? I tried a search here and found some info but could use some input before re-inventing the wheel (again)
    Many thanks

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Is it possible that as the UEC is not 1.4 compliant, think it's 1.3, & since the switcher is expecting a 1.4 handshake for ID & is not recognizing the UEC for this reason?
    Could be that simple if the switcher is relying on the 1.4 signal for switching.
    Does the switcher have a manual selection switch?
    HDMI handshakes can be complicated. Shouldn't be though.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, The specs in the switcher manual say it is also 1.3 complaint (being fleebay I take that with a grain of salt though). I did think about power however, the switcher did not come with a power supply but there is a 5VDC input connection (ie for an external supply) but the good book says this in not needed as the switch gets power from HDMI provision. Given the fact that the 4121 has serious PSU deficiencies it might be worth trying a plug pack just for interest. The switcher does have a push button to select one of five inputs and that works (although the input indicator for VAST is not as bright as the others). I am clutching at straws a little and the job is over 100km from my workshop so experimenting is difficult to say the least.
    At least Murphy is here to help (lol).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Softek2 View Post
    Thanks Tiny, The specs in the switcher manual say it is also 1.3 complaint (being fleebay I take that with a grain of salt though). I did think about power however, the switcher did not come with a power supply but there is a 5VDC input connection (ie for an external supply) but the good book says this in not needed as the switch gets power from HDMI provision. Given the fact that the 4121 has serious PSU deficiencies it might be worth trying a plug pack just for interest. The switcher does have a push button to select one of five inputs and that works (although the input indicator for VAST is not as bright as the others). I am clutching at straws a little and the job is over 100km from my workshop so experimenting is difficult to say the least.
    At least Murphy is here to help (lol).

I would def give a 5vdc power supply ago.

Thanks

well tried the 5vdc PSU on the switcher today . . . . . no go
    Also tried a SatKing box without success. I can however bypass the switcher and plug directly to the TV or the 4 way HDMI splitter and pics appear everywhere. I have now tried sever fleebay switchers without success but managed to find a "manual" switching unit which I ordered tonight. I do find it amazing that the "non powered" version is almost 300% more expensive than its Chinese brother. I will try and keep everyone here posted with the results. Perhaps there is another installer who has suffered this problem and managed to succeed in switching.
    One last note; I discovered that the Blue-ray player was only connected to one TV, when I questioned why not through the splitter my client remarked that the previous installer said it was to good for the system he installed. Wen I tested the DVD through the system it also failed to "shake hands" with the switch. All very interesting stuff . . . I am beginning to think HDMI is not a standard it could be a Brand Name.
    Thanks for your input so far gents, I'm still looking for a fix or at least a lesson in HDMI configuration.

Regards,
    softek

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi Softek, I think you will find the problem is to do with HDCP.
    If the switch for some reason stops/blocks/doesn't pass the HDCP Repeater bit, which doesn't allow the Content Protection control to authenticate, then no handshake.

Just a thought??

Content protection (HDCP)

Main article:
    High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a newer form of Digital Rights Management. Intel created the original technology to make sure that digital content followed the guidelines set by the Digital Content Protection group.
    HDMI can use to encrypt the signal if required by the source device. , and require the use of HDCP on HDMI when playing back encrypted , , and . The controls the authentication and switching/distribution of an HDMI signal. According to HDCP Specification 1.2 (beginning with HDMI CTS 1.3a), any system that implements HDCP must do so in a fully compliant manner. HDCP testing that was previously only a requirement for optional tests such as the "Simplay HD" testing program is now part of the requirements for HDMI compliance. HDCP allows for up to 127 devices to be connected, with up to 7 levels, using a combination of sources, sinks and repeaters. A simple example of this is several HDMI devices connected to an HDMI AV receiver that is connected to an HDMI display.

Devices called HDCP strippers can remove the HDCP information from the video signal so the video can play on non-HDCP-compliant displays, though a and form must usually be signed with a registering agency before use.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (25-11-13)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, I've been doing much reading yesterday & re-discovered "The Conspiracy Theory", My clients drama paled to insignificance compared with this development. I will check out the VAST compliance regulations just for interests sake. For other here who might be interested; just try a Google search to be better entertained then a James Bond movie.
    Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Softek