Thread: N16 pulsar problem

Thanks

Default N16 pulsar problem

My wifes 2002 N16 pulsar has decided it wont start, first suspect was the fuel filter which i replaced to no avail.
    Engine cranks ok and there is fuel pressure at the rail but a check of the plugs and they were dry.
    I swapped relays around in case the injector driver relay was suspect but still no sign of firing, i have also checked all the connectors to ECU/ MAF/stepper/ TPS/injectors but nothing looks abnormal. There have been no symptoms at all and has only 90 odd K on the clock with oil/filters/plugs changed in June. Running out of ideas before we take it to a mechanic.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You dont mention if you have been able to check that you have a spark, I know you have to be careful with these electronic ignitions unlike the 'good ol days' when you bared the plug top and used a screwdriver to the engine to see if a spark jumped.
    I dont believe thats advisable today as it may cause problems electronically.

Dry plugs doesnt sound like its getting fuel so how did you determine you have pressure in the fuel rail as I gather they run at a reasonably high pressure.

One check is to turn on the ignition without trying to crank the engine and try to hear the pump working, one way is to remove the petrol cap and listen at the filler pipe or from under the tank.

I'm no mechanic so my ideas are just suggestions until the mechanic members like Godzila can advise you if possible.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-11-13 at 02:04 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

i would squirt some "start ya bastard" into the intake , if it runs on that stuff the fuel system is suspect. if not most likely a spark problem somewhere. not a dead immobiliser.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    i would squirt some "start ya bastard" into the intake , if it runs on that stuff the fuel system is suspect. if not most likely a spark problem somewhere. not a dead immobiliser.?
    It was on my suspect list as i've had the same problem on my car. My old man called nissan and they say its the crank angle or cam sensor which is apparently a common problem, $67 for the pair so a cheap fix if it does fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    You dont mention if you have been able to check that you have a spark, I know you have to be careful with these electronic ignitions unlike the 'good ol days' when you bared the plug top and used a screwdriver to the engine to see if a spark jumped.
    I dont believe thats advisable today as it may cause problems electronically.

Dry plugs doesnt sound like its getting fuel so how did you determine you have pressure in the fuel rail as I gather they run at a reasonably high pressure.

One check is to turn on the ignition without trying to crank the engine and try to hear the pump working, one way is to remove the petrol cap and listen at the filler pipe or from under the tank.

I'm no mechanic so my ideas are just suggestions until the mechanic members like Godzila can advise you if possible.
    Yes went thru all those trials, i cracked a fuel line at the rail as i thought it my be an air block buts definitely got pressure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

hope it is just the sensors.
    out of interest , if they are a 3 wire sensor ( 12v , eth , pulse output ) you can put an LED and 560 ohm resistor across the pulse output . when engine is cranking will show pulses as a flash of the LED.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Put a long screwdriver against a injector, put your ear against the screwdriver handle and use it as a stethoscope.

Get someone to crank it and listen if you hear ticking.

If you have fuel pressure and hear ticking your injectors are fine and working.

No injector ticking and no spark, most likely the CAS (crank angle sensor) is dead. (if your engine uses one)

Crank angle sensors tell the ECU where the crankshaft is in relation to everything, so it controls the spark and injector pulse.

No sensor means no spark or injector pulse, therefore no engine........

If your engine does not use a CAS, let me know, there are other things to look at.

Edit, just read the thread, you do have a CAS as Nissan suggested sounds correct, just make sure you dont have both spark and injector pulse before putting one in.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 25-11-13 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Read the rest of thread after posting...

Thanks

Replaced both sensors but still wont fire, i dribbled some fuel down the plug holes and it still wouldnt fire. I think i'll have to find someone with diagnostic software so i dont waste any more money.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

So have you checked for spark yet?

Engine needs, fuel air spark and compression to work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    So have you checked for spark yet?

Engine needs, fuel air spark and compression to work.
    Not yet, need another hand to help. Cant understand why this car was working fine on Friday then all of a sudden wont run at all, i have a couple of usb obd cables so hopefully one will work with Nissan datascan software.

Thanks

Default N16 Pulsar Q 2000 also wont start.

Hi i am hoping someone can help us with getting our Nissan Pulsar going. It was running up until September last year when my hubby took me to work then went to bring lunch out to me and it wouldnt start and has been that way ever since. Over the past few months we have been replacing heaps of things on it as a process off elimination as we are 3 hours from our normal mechanic.

We have replaced the crank & Cam sensor
    Timing chain has been replaced as the chain was loose and the tensioner piston was over 10 mm
    water pump
    we have also put new spark plugs and coils.
    New in tank fuel filter
    we are currently waiting for a new coolant temp sensor.
    we have fuel to the injectors but thats as far as it will go we checked the plugs after installing them and starting the car but they were dry hubby put some fuel into the spark plug hole and it tried to fire but ran out of fuel.
    we have also swapped the Inj drive relay over and checked the ECCS fuse and all is working
    we have also removed the ecu for a weekend and checked the air filter.

But we still cant get the car to fire it will crank over and getting very very frustrated with it as we have pretty much replaced everything we have been told to. Apart from ECU is the only item we havent replaced only because we havent found one with the same number as whats in it which is Z8 mec13-140 B4 0825.

we are required to vacant out unit next week and desperately trying to get it to go so we can move it back to our farm 3 hours away so any help or advice would be great.

Cheers Sam290471.
    Last edited by Sam290471; 30-05-17 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Timing chain has been replaced as the chain was loose and the tensioner piston was over 10 mm
    Who replaced the timing chain? have you done a compression test?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Who replaced the timing chain? have you done a compression test?
    HI Rick

My husband did the timing chain and no there has been no compression test as we dont have the tools to do that and we were 3 hours from a town to get a mechanic to do the timing chain he simply followed the manual plus we had only done his hilux timing belt a month or so earlier but he had some guidance from a mechanic on the phone of what to check he has been able to get it to fire with fuel poured into the plugs but we still cant get it to fire the fuel is now not getting to the rail and the fuse on the audio keeps blowing when a new fuse is put in its killed 2 already so with this not working which the security is linked to it would this stop it from firing ? and how do you find the short?
    Any help would be appreciated as its been over 2 years now that we have been trying to get this bloody car going.

Cheers.

Thanks

Have you replaced the in tank fuel filter, ours would start but ran rough with no guts. New filter and back to as new again. Something else that we had issues with was when we got the car we only got the spare key (brown key ) and after a few years it just decided that it would no longer start, had to get a new key and have it coded to the ecu.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default oops

Quote Originally Posted by Sam290471 View Post
    HI Rick

My husband did the timing chain and no there has been no compression test as we dont have the tools to do that and we were 3 hours from a town to get a mechanic to do the timing chain he simply followed the manual plus we had only done his hilux timing belt a month or so earlier but he had some guidance from a mechanic on the phone of what to check he has been able to get it to fire with fuel poured into the plugs but we still cant get it to fire the fuel is now not getting to the rail and the fuse on the audio keeps blowing when a new fuse is put in its killed 2 already so with this not working which the security is linked to it would this stop it from firing ? and how do you find the short?
    Any help would be appreciated as its been over 2 years now that we have been trying to get this bloody car going.

Cheers.
    ?????have you put the battery in the wrong way around ??????plus to ground ?????or neg to ground ????