Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Vast Box

Thanks

Default Satking is a great little STB but, like similar units is not great for recording

Quote Originally Posted by domwild View Post
    Satking with 12V supply is a bit more expensive than the UEC4121 and I hope it will last long enough. Hook up a 1 TB external USB disk for $85 and you have a PVR. Single tuner.
    Been there, tried that but gave up both on the Satking and a similar terrestrial unit. They are not primarily designed to record and it shows. The record function is a sort of "add on" attraction which is messy to use. If serious about time shifting programs get a dedicated UEC or Humax PVR.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Satking with 12V supply is a bit more expensive than the UEC4121 and I hope it will last long enough. Hook up a 1 TB external USB disk for $85 and you have a PVR. Single tuner.
    Single tuner but with the capability to watch another channel whilst recording, unlike the UEC 4121.

Thanks

I've been using a UEC 4121 constantly for over 12 months with no problems at all. I use it in my home, connecting it to my Foxtel dish (which is no longer used for Foxtel), when not out and about in the caravan.

I have NEVER had the need to record one TV show, let alone two at the same time :-)

Only watch FTA TV for the news and a bit of sport. The caravan TV has an inbuilt DVD player plus I have a media player with a 1Tb hard drive for movies. The home setup is much more enhanced :-)

Thanks

Being the proud owner of a now dead UEC4121 decoder and having complained bitterly about it I now have bought a Satking DVBS2-800CA as a revenge it is appropriate to offer my 2 cents worth:

The Satking lost the weak SBS signal during drizzle , which never happened with the UEC BUT perhaps the signal had already deteriorated in the ES due to hail, where the signal may have been beamed up. The UEC rarely rebooted but managed to lose signal during heavy rain. The Satking also frequently shows "No Event" on the EPG, this looks like loss of signal.

Sad to say but it looks like the UEC may have had a better signal amplification or is this a product of my overactive imagination? Twin tuner is a great idea but then the price goes up.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Being the proud owner of a now dead UEC4121 decoder and having complained bitterly about it I now have bought a Satking DVBS2-800CA as a revenge it is appropriate to offer my 2 cents worth:

The Satking lost the weak SBS signal during drizzle , which never happened with the UEC BUT perhaps the signal had already deteriorated in the ES due to hail, where the signal may have been beamed up. The UEC rarely rebooted but managed to lose signal during heavy rain. The Satking also frequently shows "No Event" on the EPG, this looks like loss of signal.

Sad to say but it looks like the UEC may have had a better signal amplification or is this a product of my overactive imagination? Twin tuner is a great idea but then the price goes up.
    I have 2 UEC 4121's that are now 18 months to 2.5 years old with one connected to the Foxtel dish via a multi switch and the other on its own Dish professionally installed for VAST and its been my experience that both lose the signal within seconds of each other during heavy rain or snow as does the Austar/Fox Titan STB but I have noticed both the UEC's take longer to regain the signal after the A/F Titan does so I can only conclude that the VAST transponders have a lower power output than those used by A/Foxtel.

Losing one channel (SBS) is a bit unusual but as we found after both Lightning and extremely heavy rain fell over the Optus Uplink in Sydney a year or so ago now and caused all sorts of chaos, its not impossible for that to happen.
    Then there was that 'stuff up' when VAST virtually lost all channels one weekend purportedly due to a test being carried out that went seriously wrong.

There are so many 'links' in the chain from the Studio to your TV, it only needs one to fail to break the chain and cause a lose of reception.

I mentioned in another post that during this last 10 days when we have had rain regulary every day (over 80mm so far) that I have experienced more weather affected 'dropouts' than I would during a whole year.
    Very short but heavy falls lasting only a few minutes at a time before settling to a steady drizzle.
    One actually happened when it was clear and the sun shining brightly but obviously there was a dense rain storm between me and the Satellite to block the signal, not the first time thats happened over the years.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-12-14 at 11:19 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Signal strength on the Satking is 85% and quality is 63% and despite those "good" figures Satking support is suggesting I should realign my dish.

The "Record" button does not appear to work but clicking twice with "OK" on the EPG will schedule recording, once will allow scheduled watching. The unit even rebooted during playback of a recording, strange?

Unlike a terrestrial PVR, the pausing/stopping of a recording means fast-forwarding again to where one left off, looks like no magnetic recording after stopping takes place to start again at the stopped place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by user1829 View Post
    hi John - does the 1TB exhibit issues with playback of recorded TV shows when fast forwarding the advertisments?

like when you resume play from FF does it skip a minute or two ahead?
    Satking has the same problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Ive put a variety of HDDs in mine and all work OK but to be careful I purchased this one for my friend - he insisted on getting a 1TB unit : Toshiba 2.5'' SSHD MQ01ABD100H SSD Hybrid 1TB Hard Drive $128 on e-bay.

Good luck

John
    John,

Interesting! Please confirm this is a solid state device. Lost track of developments after 27 years of teaching IT; isn't there a limit on read/write cycles for SSDs? Or is the figure so high that it becomes immaterial?

Thanks

John,

Interesting! Please confirm this is a solid state device. Lost track of developments after 27 years of teaching IT; isn't there a limit on read/write cycles for SSDs? Or is the figure so high that it becomes immaterial?
    The drive is a "Hybrid" drive. I does have platters but also has a reasonably large amount of solid state ram which algorithms use to optimise drive performance to achieve significantly faster speeds than a straight platter drive.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While not the same thing, I had all sorts of recording problems using a STRONG Terrestrial STB with an 80gb HP brand drive as the recording devise.
    It would play happily then stop without reason and not always at the same place as before and each time I had to restart the playback from the beginning but it totaly detested the idea of FF to pass what I had already seen.

One time I did actually watch the program as it was recording to see if there were dropouts during the program but as far as I could tell it there was nothing there.
    It does seem digital recording isnt as easy or fuss free as the old VCR's were.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234