Thread: Solahart hot water

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Default Solahart hot water

Moved into our new house back in March. Solarhart hot water (unit for the frost areas using the glycol anti freeze) was on the roof. Up until now we have been using the boost switch every night which is connected to peak power. I'm thinking we needed it due to winter, but now with longer days, thought I'd stop using it. Within 2 days, cold water. Rheem guys looked at it and said it was a 1984 model, and since this place was built then, I believe it was up there since day dot. The Rheem guy said one panel was cactus internally and was leaking the fluid out, hence why it didn't produce hot water from the sun. He said that it could be fixed with a panel replacement but seeing it's age he recommended replacing the lot.

So the question is, do these systems (Solahart) actually last (I suppose work is the word) all that time?

The Rheem guy said the tanks in them are enamel lined, hence why the tank hasn't failed in almost 30 years but they still also use an anode. I'm used to the hot water storage tanks that last only 8 or so years before failing. Rheem guy also said to only use Solahart, which should be installed this coming Monday.

Anybody have experience about the things?

Cheers
    Keith
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Even car radiators using Glycol or similar 'rust' out eventually but to get 30 years out of that system is pretty good.

Perhaps like a car, your system may have needed a 'flush out' and new fluid added to remove any moisture from the mix as thats probably what caused the problem but who would have thought of doing that?
    That system must have been quite expensive when it was first installed as even the 'normal' types back then werent cheap.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Keith (01-12-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi Gordon
    The glycol is used in frost areas to because of it's anti freeze properties. It circulates through the panel and then through the tank (in pipes). The heat that it absorbs while going through the panel is transferred into the water in the tank. It is used in frost areas because if the water from the tank was circulated through the panels and frose, it would damage the panels. Water through the panels system is used in warmer climates.

Cheers
    Keith

Premium Member

Thanks

Keith, I live in a Village whose elevation is at 995 metres, a hairsbreath off the Great Diving Range West of Sydney and I can assure you that after freezing my 'Dangly bits' here for over 50 years I am truly familiar with shall we say bleddy freezing.
    Way back in late July 1970, we had a week of crystal clear weather where the Temperature dropped to Minus 5 C, (25 F) each day and you can bet that soon sorted out any problems in the plumbing.
    There have been occasions since then when the Temps have dipped but not that low for so many consecutive days and with the improvement in the construction of the roof panels, failures are less likely.
    Those whose Solar panels suffered the worst as most certainly hadnt been built to tolerate those temperatures but over the years, even though a few still fail in frosts, they have improved dramatically and I would certainly like to have one even as a pre heater on the Tankless Gas HWS.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Keith (01-12-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ah come on mate. You're an old railway man like me. It would be second nature for you to be trapsing around in the freezing cold at 2am in the morning LOL. The plumber said the same. Solarhart have been around for that long they have the game sown up.
    Even the Rheem guys told me to go Solarhart.

Cheers
    Keith

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-12-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

Keith, if I may parody the old song. 'Those days are long Forgotten, sleep away, sleep away, sleep away warm in Bed'.