and more and more
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (12-12-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Interesting reading.
    As I dont know what diameter is preferred or needed in Optical Fibre cables, no comment other than by reducing the cable size by a few microns wont cost more to make as its not an already in use and available standard size but I do love the savings proposed by running '1.5 cables' along a street' instead of the proposed 3.
    Is this like weirdo's comment of being happy with only half a glass as I'd love to know how to run half a cable.
    As for testing, thats easy to cut testing because as you lay it you inspect it and if it 'looks right', 'it is right'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Could not have said it better myself

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

tristen (14-12-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

more and more and! what an opportunity missed

Banned

Thanks

i am tipping that a lot of the coalition supporters shall regret putting there trust in Malcom Turnbulls spin 25Mbps for all by 2016 and regret it further down the track when there desire for a FTTH network is realised.

He was the one that "gobbed off" and now he is the one that is "Fobbing off"

But "whats new pussycat".

Banned

Thanks

Leaving us in the internet backwater.
    Malcom Turnbull should be congratulated on pulling off this massive deception. Prior to the election he managed to convince enough people that his way was 'faster, cheaper, sooner'. Delivering a network sooner and cheaper was the key item in deceiving people. All the promises he made while in opposition have now been shown to be lies.

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (14-04-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    Leaving us in the internet backwater.
    Malcom Turnbull should be congratulated on pulling off this massive deception. Prior to the election he managed to convince enough people that his way was 'faster, cheaper, sooner'. Delivering a network sooner and cheaper was the key item in deceiving people. All the promises he made while in opposition have now been shown to be lies.
    Which is no different to Labor's plan, which was shown to be nothing but lies as well, with no proper costing or implementation plan.

If anyone thinks the FTTH would have continued 'to plan' if Labor remained in power are kidding themselves. Labor knew they were getting the boot and made all sorts of promises which have been shown could never be implemented.

Premium Member

Thanks

This is not a shot at Liberal but all governments!! One bad one replaced by another
    (i bet that gets a reaction)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What peteramjet is true regarding unsupportable claims made during the elections by both sides.
    The NBN was never a factor in the LCP coalition being elected, nor was the Carbon Tax.
    What boosted the LCP into power was the turmoil within the Labor party and 'Stopping the Boats'.
    Even though most knew Abbott's crazy plan of 'Towing the Boats Back' was plain bloody stupidity, the LCP had a firm, definite 'NO BOATS POLICY' from when they were in power before and thats what the people wanted.

Malcom Turnbull is NOT a stupid man but he really isnt a politician which shows at times when he seems to having difficulty when he is making announcements as he is a business man, a Banker, not a lawyer who can talk underwater, and he some made some stumbles when he announced the LCP FTTN plan which said to me that either he is misinformed or he knows there are flaws but he has to 'Toe the Party Line'.

Just as aside, while the LCP was elected into the House of Representatives and so claim a 'Mandate for Everything', might I point out those SAME voters put LABOR into a majority in the Senate.............Food for thought, methinks............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (14-04-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Just as aside, while the LCP was elected into the House of Representatives and so claim a 'Mandate for Everything', might I point out those SAME voters put LABOR into a majority in the Senate.............Food for thought, methinks............
    I think you mean LNP, as in the Liberal/National Party - don't know who the LCP is

Your point on the Senate is incorrect. From the 2013 election there were 17 LNP elected and 12 ALP. Total numbers, there are 33 LNP and 25 ALP. Majority? No.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Which is no different to Labor's plan,.
    Vastly different FTTH is future proof FTTN isobsolete and allready being replaced in NZ

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (14-04-14)

Thanks

Which is no different to Labor's plan, which was shown to be nothing but lies as well, with no proper costing or implementation plan.

If anyone thinks the FTTH would have continued 'to plan' if Labor remained in power are kidding themselves. Labor knew they were getting the boot and made all sorts of promises which have been shown could never be implemented.
    The review authors seem to think it could have, even if it did cost '$73 billion' and complete in 2024. That the Libs continue to press FTTN even in the light of their own review should tell people that this has nothing at all to do with the costs. It has nothing to do with the technology. It's all about Liberal Party ideology.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (13-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    The review authors seem to think it could have, even if it did cost '$73 billion' and complete in 2024.
    My point was that the Labor party could not deliver what they promised during the election either, and the cost and time blow out show that - neither are anything like they 'promised'.

Thanks

Some need to realise that having a FTTH connection at almost every house is not possible, nor wanted. We have a population that is simply too sparsely spaced and as a nation simply can't afford it. There are also many without the need for a super high speed service.

According to The Fin, as of July 2013 there were 203,000 homes passed by the NBN, but only 70,000 had connected (and of that half were on the satellite service). That's a measly 34% connection rate, and that included satellite!!

FTTH should have been rolled out to areas that would initially have a definite use for it - large commercial/technological areas, heavily populated areas and schools/universities. From there outer suburban areas of cities could have been connected, followed by regional then eventually rural. This is the only way for the network to be profitable. Connecting regional towns like Albury where only around 17% have taken up the connection is farcical and is not fiscally viable - millions were wasted in that town alone.

The copper cable network should have remained to allow competition from ADSL providers and for those who do not need a super fast connection, and there should have been a connection cost for those wanting an NBN connection (similar to the cost of connecting a phone line now).

There should have been a proper bipartisan approach when an NBN was discussed, but instead the previous Gov't went full steam ahead with an unrealistic and un-costed model that has ultimately led us to the position that the country is in now. No point blaming the current mob when they are ALL to blame.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Why should it roll out in the city areas first? They have acceptable speeds now, where the other country people don't. Talk about starting things ar#e up!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Why should it roll out in the city areas first? They have acceptable speeds now, where the other country people don't. Talk about starting things ar#e up!!
    Areas where they have a definite need for it first - not just 'the city'. If you read my above post you will see why.

Thanks

Some need to realise that having a FTTH connection at almost every house is not possible, nor wanted. We have a population that is simply too sparsely spaced and as a nation simply can't afford it. There are also many without the need for a super high speed service.
    Then your thoughts align perfectly with the Labor party. Labor didn't consider it possible to provide FTTP to every single premises which is why the fibre rollout was only to target 93% of the population. Congratulations on such outstanding ability to pick the right choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Then your thoughts align perfectly with the Labor party.
    You clearly must have misread my post

Thanks

Really? The part where you said you didn't think it was possible to have a FTTH(P) connection to every house? Hmm. That seems to have been Labor policy, so once again congratulations on your wise choice.

Thanks

Sigh. I never said 'every house'.

• Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast