Thread: Garmin Nuvi (1450T) Traffic Receivers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Default Garmin Nuvi (1450T) Traffic Receivers

I have the 1450T hardwired in the car, but went to use it in another car over the weekend and can't for the life of me find the supplied 12v power and traffic receiver cable.

I'm looking to get a new 12v power cable with the traffic receiver built in, but can't confirm if I get one from overseas that it will work in Aus (specifically Sydney).

Some info I've read indicates any receiver will work anywhere, while some say receivers are made for specific areas or have subscription details built in. The unit has a 'lifetime traffic subscription', but I don't know if that relates to the unit or the cable. Can anybody confirm either way, as it's far cheaper to get a cable from O/S than from Oz.

Edit: The original cable was a GTM-26 model.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 08-12-13 at 09:37 AM.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yep, Double it & add a bit, that's the Australia tax for you.

The hard wire of the car, is that where the traffic receiver might be hiding, hacked into the dash somewhere?

Can't say for sure if they are able to receive the same frequency range or not.
    You could try contacting Garmin Au & asking them, if you go to America or Europe on holliday or for work, would the traffic receiver still function or do you require a different type or subscribtion. That should give you the answer you are looking for.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Thanks Tiny. Definitely didn't splice the original cable It's an aftermarket cable in the car without traffic receiving capabilities. Thinking back the original was probably left in a hire car when I last went interstate.

From further reading it does appear the GTM-26 cable will receive anywhere, as the subscription is apparently in the unit itself. Still can't confirm, but I will give Garmin a try directly if I don't have any success.

And yes, the price difference is significant enough. $99 pick up in Sydney verse < $60 delivered from O/S.

Thanks

@peteramjet
    Buy the cheapest Garmin FM TMC receiver you can on eBay from China or Honkers that's compatible. GTM25 will probably cost you ~$25 US posted. Look on ebay.com as well as ebay.com.au as they're often listed cheaper but still post-inclusive to Oz. Any of GTM25/26/35/36 will work with 1xxx series but the GTM 25 is usually the cheapest and will come with Lifetime NA advert. supported subscription, but up to ~20 can be added with the latest firmware iI think. I can help with subscription codes and tut for adding AU, via PM if posting of them is not allowed in open forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-02-14)