Thread: VC record $1M

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Default VC record $1M

THE family of World War II hero Ted Kenna will drink a beer in his honour after his medals, including a Victoria Cross, were sold at auction to a mystery buyer for more than $1 million.

A bidder, taking her instructions from a mystery caller, paid $1.002m for the collection -- a record for Australian medals.

Kenna's VC medal, earned for single-handedly taking out a Japanese machinegun post, is the first WWII VC to be sold publicly and is one of only 20 awarded during the war.

Kenna's son, Rob Kenna, said the record result was humbling. "I don't know what Dad would say about this . . . because he wasn't driven by money at all and he would never sell it," an emotional Mr Kenna said about his father, who died in 2009, aged 90. "His wish was to share the value of that medal in dollar terms among the four children.

"The first thing I'm going to do is buy a pot for him and drink it."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (05-12-13),ol' boy (29-07-11),porkop (28-11-13)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Saw that in the news and thought of Sanity, his hobby is looking a lot more interesting now

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I aint that rich mate

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I think its a sad refection of the economic hardships people face today to sell the deceased most prized possession for $.

There was a time when people would hold onto things as a memento of deceased loved ones, they were considered priceless and a family heirloom.

Then again im sure the money will come in handy for the grand kids.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

The VC should not be a saleable item. When the recipient passes the family either keeps it or places it in the War Museum.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    The VC should not be a saleable item. When the recipient passes the family either keeps it or places it in the War Museum.
    Its a hard one, I can see both points of view.

Its great that there are people out there like Kerry Stokes

Kerry Stokes has taken an active role in preserving Australian ownership of significant military heritage; he has now purchased three Australian Victoria Cross medal sets, and a George Cross medal set. Stokes has purchased all four sets via auction from Bonhams & Goodman of Sydney, Australia. The first was the VC medal set of Captain Alfred John Shout, paying a world record price of A$1.2 million on 24 July 2006.[8] In the same auction, he purchased the GC medal set of Lieutenant Commander George Gosse for A$180,000.[9] On 28 November of the same year, Stokes purchased the VC set of Lance Corporal Bernard Gordon for A$478,000.[10] He donated all three sets to the Australian War Memorial.
    On 20 May 2008, Stokes, in conjunction with the South Australian Government, purchased the Victoria Cross medal set of Major Peter Badcoe for A$480,000.[11] The Badcoe medals were on public display in the South Australian Museum in Adelaide, and on tour in South Australia, for twelve months before going on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.[12]
    While doing recent family history, I found that I am related to and to , whos medals sold for £132,000 in September 2009.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    It's not about the medal, it's about the person who was awarded it. No matter how many hands it passes through it will always be Ted Kenna's VC.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In a way the sale of the medal is small recompense for whatever action it was awarded for and I must admit I would prefer it to be on 'Permanent Loan' to the War Museum once the person or last family member dies.

But unfortunately in the cruel reality of life, such an honour doesnt pay the Bills or put bread on the table so sad as it may be, it may have to be sold on.

But as Porkop says, the sale can never change or detract from the memory of the person to whom it was awarded to or the reason.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!