Thread: Email spamtard has stolen the email address

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Default Email spamtard has stolen the email address

I've been given a PC to sort out spamtards on. Something has been sending e-mails posing as their address and, of course, it is getting about 100 bounced messages a day. I've re-loaded the system, changed their e-mail acct password and it is still getting bounced messages. now to the Questions

1. how long should I expect this to continue before changing e-mail address entirely.

2. I've changed the password and can access the acct via Windoze Mail but it won't accept either the new, or old password when I try to log into the acct live, work that one out. I even tried copying the password from a password cracker program just in case I got it wrong, but, no, still cannot log in when live but can log in using mail.

Suggestions, please?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

umm
    is it a hosting \ cpanel email account (domain)
    there may be some clues in there if there is
    block your own address from receiving?
    1 of my personal ones is spammed out so i killed it, remake it now & then just to check, but noticed, it still gets spam

if its hosted, best let the support mob fix it, i had to get hostgator to block a address that i wasnt able to
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've been given a PC to sort out spamtards on. Something has been sending e-mails posing as their address and, of course, it is getting about 100 bounced messages a day. I've re-loaded the system, changed their e-mail acct password and it is still getting bounced messages
    When an e-mail address has become known, anyone can send

• spam to this e-mail address,
    • using this e-mail address as sender send an e-mail to third parties.

You can not prevent that. What I would do: delete the abused e-mail account, create a new one.

EDIT:

Sometimes there really is the need to publish an e-mail address. In such a case always use a disposable e-mail address, means temporary e-mail address. Some providers exist which allow you to create for free a temporary disposable e-mail addresses which expire after 30 minutes, or so. Of course, you can extend the time. You can read within the time window incoming e-mails and reply to it.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 12-12-13 at 07:36 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thank you, the above suggestions have already been considered, I was hoping that someone may have had another solution, looks like a new address is on the cards for this person. I'd suggest that he does not practise particularly safe browsing practises although there were no real nasties on his system before I blew everything away.

Thanks

Sometimes it is a huge hassle to change you address, particularly if it is already printed on business cards and promotional literature etc, that said though it is often the easiest solution. The first thing I would do is contact their ISP or the supplier of the email address if it isn't the ISP. See what they offer in the way of spam protection, if anything. As others have said once the spammers have your email address it is impossible to stop them sending you emails but there are steps you can take to avoid receiving the crap that they send. See if you can find out the IP address of the spammer and block all incoming mail from that IP or if they are from multiple IPs but a common region, like russia for example, you could block anything with .ru in the address. My recommendation would be to just delete the email account and start again though but make sure to send a notification to all their contacts advising of the new address.
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niftyned View Post
    As others have said once the spammers have your email address it is impossible to stop them sending you emails but there are steps you can take to avoid receiving the crap that they send. See if you can find out the IP address of the spammer and block all incoming mail from that IP or if they are from multiple IPs but a common region, like russia for example, you could block anything with .ru in the address.
    That's the reason why I'm using "MailWasher", a piece of software that connects to your e-mail account and reads the e-mails arrived. If any, a pre-view list automatically is provided. You use this list to tell "MailWasher" whether to add sender's e-mail address / domaine to spam-list, or friends-list. You can force "MailWasher" to bounce back the e-mail, etc, pp....

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 13-12-13 at 07:47 PM. Reason: link added

LSemmens
    Thanks

It's not so much that the spamtard is sending him the crap, it's the fact that it is using his address so all the bounced messages come back to his in-box. It;s slowed a little, only about 30 in the last few hours.

Thanks

cant you make a rule whereas the "from" (his addy) is not downloaded from the server?

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    cant you make a rule whereas the "from" (his addy) is not downloaded from the server?
    With "MailWasher" introduced before you exactly can do this

LSemmens
    Thanks

Actually, A server filter may do it because He doesn't need to waste bandwidth downloading even the headers if he can avoid it.

Thanks

do you have cpanel access?