Thread: 3957lmt

Thanks

Question 3957lmt

Any body got the Nuvi 3597LMT and care to comment on it. Sounds pretty good but has it an audible speed alert?, I have spoken to two different people at Garmin Australia and get conflicting reports.
    Last edited by tygeray; 12-12-13 at 05:56 PM.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Looks like no one has a 3597 or at least one that they want to talk about.

I have a 2597, similar spec without the 3d buildings & 3d terrain.

There is no audible speed alert.

There is a visual speed alert, the indicated speed changes from black to red when over the map makers speed limit. The map makers speed limit is mostly correct, however some times not & should not be relied upon. Speed limits in some places get changed or signs moved, some places have variable speed limit signs.
    Both Navteq & Sensis maps have the same issues in different places. The 3597 will have Navteq maps.

There is an audible warning for speed cameras, red light cameras & school zones. The school zones warning is not time dependent so will warn you at all times.

Apart from the occasional map errors & speed limit errors. I find the Garmin units an excellent driving & navigational aid.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, I was going to buy a 3597 but after upgrading my old TT GO720 with Downunders mods I have every thing I need, except perhaps a brighter screen.

Thanks

Bit late into this, but yes you can set the audible overspeed alert on the 3597. The US/EU firmware speed alert feature is controlled by the Locale selected. When you hard-reset or clear NV on any nuvi, it will usually default to it's market localization for the setting. Instead of selecting Australia on the 3597, choose one of the EU locales which support the alert such as UK or Luxemburg. You can then go to the hidden Diagnostics Page by holding the upper RH corner of the Volume page for ~6 secs [or press 'speed' on the map page > hold the Speedometer]. In Diagnostics Page, press 'Developer Info' then scroll down to 'Change Locale' [the second bottom item] and select Australia there. ASR will still work if you have British text and Karen or Lee voice selected, the map theme will be the EU one which has the SLI in the red circle instead of the default AU/US with the SLI in a rectangle and if you go over the posted speed by even 1 KPH the actual speed indicator will still become red shaded and you will receive the audible overspeed 'ding ding' warning.

Tiny is spot on about some SLI reading being unreliable. What i liked about the 3597's predecessor the 3590 was the ability to make corrections to the posted speed limits. That's no longer there in the 3597. Garmin giveth and Garmin taketh away ...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-02-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    Bit late into this, but yes you can set the audible overspeed alert on the 3597. The US/EU firmware speed alert feature is controlled by the Locale selected. When you hard-reset or clear NV on any nuvi, it will usually default to it's market localization for the setting. Instead of selecting Australia on the 3597, choose one of the EU locales which support the alert such as UK or Luxemburg. You can then go to the hidden Diagnostics Page by holding the upper RH corner of the Volume page for ~6 secs [or press 'speed' on the map page > hold the Speedometer]. In Diagnostics Page, press 'Developer Info' then scroll down to 'Change Locale' [the second bottom item] and select Australia there. ASR will still work if you have British text and Karen or Lee voice selected, the map theme will be the EU one which has the SLI in the red circle instead of the default AU/US with the SLI in a rectangle and if you go over the posted speed by even 1 KPH the actual speed indicator will still become red shaded and you will receive the audible overspeed 'ding ding' warning.

Tiny is spot on about some SLI reading being unreliable. What i liked about the 3597's predecessor the 3590 was the ability to make corrections to the posted speed limits. That's no longer there in the 3597. Garmin giveth and Garmin taketh away ...
    Most of that sounds good, will have to give it a try.
    Only one discrepency, my 2597LMT is in its original AU setup & has the speed limit in the red circle, my older 1490T has the rectangle.
    I suppose the 3597 must be retro in software to get the rectangle.

The overspeed limit "ding ding" would drive me mad here as the speed limits are wrong in so many places. I would have to disable it or throw it out the window.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Surething (14-02-14)

Thanks

Well, as iI don't have a 2597 I can't say for sure you can set the audible alert that way in your unit Tiny. My reply was for the OP with the 3597 in particular as you'd realise.

However I can confirm that you're correct in that AU maps display with the red circle for SLI when the locale is set as Australia. My 3597 is a NA model imported from the States so it's localised for US by default. It displays the maps with the rectangular SLI by default. That said, the function is also map dependent I think. I recall [unclearly] that EU maps will display with the red circle when used in my NA unit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-02-14)