Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painless DIY VAST system setup. Save money!

Thanks

Cool Painless DIY VAST system setup. Save money!

I'm glad to see still going strong.

Update: I left the rental premises where the landlord kindly allowed me to use her HDR-10003S, and I did not shed a tear when I said goodbye to the little box of horrors

I bought a house nearby and imagine my chagrin when I discovered that (NOOOOOOO!) once again, the terrestrial TV reception is crap and I have to install a VAST system! The previous owner (Devil damn him black, the cream-faced loon) already had VAST installed, and simply ripped it off the roof, plugged all the holes with silicone, and took it with him (to another nearby address that has perfect terrestrial reception! Why is this legal?).

So now, here I am, needing a VAST system. There is already a jack in the wall and coax going up to the tin roof, so I suppose all I need is

1. official permission to install VAST system (some sort of PIN number or smartcard I believe?)
    2. a good dish (local guy wants an absurd $600 to install a Hills 85cm dish, which he claims costs $135 and does not rust at the arm like all the "cheap" imports)
    3. an arm to hold the dish
    4. a decoder with a PVR twin recording function (NOT the Humax) ... maybe the UEC DSR-4639?

There is a video on setting up your own satellite system here:

So, with everyone's advice here, I want to save the enormous costs levied by satellite system installers ($500+ for a couple of hours work is a rip-off) and do it myself.

Tell me what to do, and I'll do it and report back!

Questions:

• Does (1) above require input from an installer? Is that not the way they make themselves indispensable to the install? Can you get permission through an installer and then break off the transaction?
    • What are the best arms and medium sized (~85cm) dishes, and what is the best place to buy online?
    • After my miserable experience with the Humax HDR-10003S, I'm keen to use something else. Can anyone compare it to the UEC DSR-4639?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 14-12-13 at 04:37 PM.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

• Does (1) above require input from an installer? Not if on the exact address of the premises shows up as eligible or the premises has been registered officially for VAST by the previous owner, in that case you will need to call VAST to find out; at which time VAST will find out that the previous owners box is no longer at the premises & if he hasn't notified them of its new address it could be de-authorised. Unless he had it registered as a traveler. Which is also an option for you, then you can take the box with you when you leave.
    • Is that not the way they make themselves indispensable to the install? Can you get the permission through an installer and then break off the transaction? That would be poor form to do that to an installer!
    • What are the best arms and medium sized (~85sm) dishes, and what is the best place to buy online? Sorry can't answer that, I got an ex-austar, with mount & LNB free from a friend before it would have gone to the tip.
    • After my miserable experience with the Humax HDR-10003S, I'm keen to use something else. Can anyone compare it to the UEC DSR-4639? I own a 4639 & I am happy with it, has very minor bugs. (if you have a single cable/lnb setup; then you will need to get the attenuator from UEC for the second tuner loop thru). If I needed another twin tuner for VAST I would buy another 4639. Just my opinion. Can't compare directly to the Humax as I don't own one. Humax has too many bugs for me. You can attest to that.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Hi Sunshine coast, Your rip off installer is giving you a VERY reasonable price to provide & install the equipment you mentioned. It comes with warranty (& pictures).
    You don't need any help to do the math yourself. Sit back watch him work & enjoy your ale in the shade then enjoy the pixel free cricket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Does (1) above require input from an installer? Not if on the exact address of the premises shows up as eligible or the premises has been registered officially for VAST by the previous owner, in that case you will need to call VAST to find out; at which time VAST will find out that the previous owners box is no longer at the premises & if he hasn't notified them of its new address it could be de-authorised. Unless he had it registered as a traveler. Which is also an option for you, then you can take the box with you when you leave.
    I get the following for my address:

Variable Coverage

Switchover area: BRISBANE
    Switchover date: 28 May 2013

This is a moderate predicted coverage area. You may have difficulties receiving some or all digital channels.

Retune activity
    Transmitter: Sunshine Coast South
    Retune Date: 18/08/2014
    Is that not the way they make themselves indispensable to the install? Can you get the permission through an installer and then break off the transaction? That would be poor form to do that to an installer!
    I don't mind paying a small fee. Is there some way I can get a "reception certificate" other than calling in someone from an antenna company?

I own a 4639 & I am happy with it, has very minor bugs. (if you have a single cable/lnb setup; then you will need to get the attenuator from UEC for the second tuner loop thru).
    You lost me there. Are you saying the unit does not work on 2 tuners from one dish?

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean in this thread:
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 15-12-13 at 07:53 AM. Reason: more data

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Softek2 View Post
    Hi Sunshine coast, Your rip off installer is giving you a VERY reasonable price to provide & install the equipment you mentioned. It comes with warranty (& pictures).
    You don't need any help to do the math yourself. Sit back watch him work & enjoy your ale in the shade then enjoy the pixel free cricket.
    Are you an installer?

I don't agree that the price is very reasonable. The crowd that put the VAST dish and PVR into the last place I stayed (rented) was far from professional (e.g telling me it would be $X for the whole job, then telling the owner it would be $X+50 just a few minutes later, and telling me my Panasonic PVR would work with no problem with the VAST decoder, which of course it cannot do, etc).

Thanks

I have been involved in the satellite industry since 1987 (and proud of it). Like any workplace there are a few shady characters, however, the majority of installers are honest & knowledgeable.
    Re-read the post from Tiny he gave you all the advice you need to register your device.
    The VAST administration staff have a set of guidelines to follow which is set out by the ACMA, they are friendly staff who will guide you through the correct process.
    A minimum amount of research on the net will have you watching TV in no time at all.

Thanks

I'm not in a hurry, Softek. I actually want to enjoy doing this myself, and perhaps help others do the same. I'll provide pictures of what I do, when I do it. This is not rocket science.

Next step: call VAST admin staff and find out if this address is already authorised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    $600 to install a Hills 85cm dish
    If that price, as I read it, is only to install the dish/LNB on the roof and nothing else, then all I can say it must be very expensive to run your own business up there.

Here in NW Tasmania my price to do a full install for a single DSR4639 decoder/all cabling/dish/LNB (where there is nothing on the property to start with) is around $900*, & that includes liasing with VAST authorisation.

*conditions apply

Next step: call VAST admin staff and find out if this address is already authorised.
    That's the next best step.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

As I understand it that was the "full install" cost including twin tuner PVR (not Humax) all for $600.
    BTW we are about the same cost wise for the same service. (including travel <200Km)

Thanks

No, no twin tuner PVR included! That included runs nearer $900/$1000 hereabouts.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I would do it another way....

Sign up for that, cost over 6 months is Min cost $295 on a 6 month direct debit plan (including $75 std install and $75 equipment fee) and you get an IQ or Mystar pvr included.
    They will do all the installation for you, providing brand new equipment, cabling, wall sockets etc.
    After 6 months unsubscribe ( no cost to do so)
    At any time, you could just unplug the Foxtel box, put in your own Vast box, and hey presto, your on.

Too easy...much cheaper.

Sorry installers....

Thanks

No, no twin tuner PVR included! That included runs nearer $900/$1000 hereabouts.
    Thats the way I read it. $600 for dish only install to existing cabling seems very expensive.

I did my own install, got a second hand dish off ebay for $20 and brought a new LNB off ebay for $20 or $30, been up and working fine for 18months now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I would do it another way....

Sign up for that, cost over 6 months is Min cost $295 on a 6 month direct debit plan (including $75 std install and $75 equipment fee) and you get an IQ or Mystar pvr included.
    They will do all the installation for you, providing brand new equipment, cabling, wall sockets etc.
    After 6 months unsubscribe ( no cost to do so)
    At any time, you could just unplug the Foxtel box, put in your own Vast box, and hey presto, your on.

Too easy...much cheaper.

Sorry installers....
    Er .. wow. Let me digest this. The Foxtel site says:

*Min cost $295 on a 6 month direct debit plan (including $75 std install and $75 equipment fee) based on Essentials Pack with Foxtel iQHD or MyStar HD STU. New residential subscribers and standard install only. Cancel fee applies. Offer ends 24.12.13. #STU will vary depending on location: MyStar HD provided in Foxtel areas serviced by Austar. Foxtel and some services not available to all homes. Foxtel marks are used under licence by Foxtel Management Pty Ltd.
    How does the cancel fee affect this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newy1234 View Post
    Thats the way I read it. $600 for dish only install to existing cabling seems very expensive.

I did my own install, got a second hand dish off ebay for $20 and brought a new LNB off ebay for $20 or $30, been up and working fine for 18months now.
    How did you get the smartcard/VAST registration sorted?

Banned
    Thanks

$6 per week x 24 weeks = $144
    Add equipment fee to it = $75
    Add connection fee ti it =75

Total plan is $294.00

It is only contracted for a 6 month plan, so this is the amount you will be wholly up for for the 6 month period. There is no cancellation fee after you have expired your 6 month contract.

Easypeasy

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sunshine Coast, you mentioned contacting VAST Admin to see if VAST had been approved there but thats not quite how it works.
    Firstly, the STB is registered to YOU personally, the location is secondary because there is provision for you to be a 'Traveler' who lives in a Prime Terrestrial area and have a VAST stb authorised for 6 monthly periods with extensions if required.
    There is also an alternative option which I wont go into here.
    If I have read correctly you have looked at the Myswitch site and found your in a dodgy area which means you have to have it confirmed by a QUALIFIED technician that there is NO viable Terrestrial signal there.
    This requires filling in Statutory Declarations and submitting them for approval.
    Installing a dish isnt that hard but it has to be done properly, cables run and connectors fitted along with setting up the correct azmith and elevation to receive the signal.
    While it seems expensive, your paying not only for the time it takes but his skill and the use of his equipment, all of which costs money and travel which today doesnt come cheap.

With that current option by Foxtel, you would have to ask them exactly what that cancellation fee is about, my guess as its only a 6 month contract, the fee would apply if you wanted to cancel before it was up BUT check first !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-12-13 at 03:12 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Get onto the digital ready site, and quote them your data (You may have difficulties receiving some or all digital channels.) and ask them can you go ahead and purchase a receiver and card, and expect approval.

Here's a paste from their page

I currently have poor TV reception

If you have marginal television reception, or no television services at all, you may need to access VAST.

Before you buy any equipment:

make sure you are eligible for VAST by checking your address through mySwitch
    or call the Digital Ready Information Line on 1800 20 10 13.

If you successfully pass that hurdle, decide your cheapest dish/cable installation method, and your up,up, and away

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

PS, as far as I am aware, both the ABC and SBS can be authorised on a VAST STB no matter where you are or what the Terrestrial reception is, its only the 3 Commercial channels that are 'area' controlled.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Sunshine Coast, you mentioned contacting VAST Admin to see if VAST had been approved there but thats not quite how it works.
    Firstly, the STB is registered to YOU personally, the location is secondary because there is provision for you to be a 'Traveler' who lives in a Prime Terrestrial area and have a VAST stb authorised for 6 monthly periods with extensions if required.
    Yes for a traveler the address is secondary. For the full authorization of VAST the address is primary, just ring them & tell them you've moved to a new address that is in a good terrestrial reception area & see if they don't de-activate your service.
    Point here is Sunshine Coast says the premisses had VAST previously & there will be a record of that & any reception certificates for the address lodged.

If there is a record of the premises having had VAST authorization by the previous owner he may be able to avoid the following scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If I have read correctly you have looked at the Myswitch site and found your in a dodgy area which means you have to have it confirmed by a QUALIFIED technician that there is NO viable Terrestrial signal there.
    This requires filling in Statutory Declarations and submitting them for approval.
    Since Sunshine Coast is now the owner of his new premises he just wants to get the authorization for VAST the best & simplest way possible & a phone call to VAST admin would clear things up for him, without the complications of skirting the law.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned
    Thanks

Which all comes back to what I said before...

call the Digital Ready Information Line on 1800 20 10 13.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast