Thread: Taking Pool Pump off Grid

Thanks

Default Taking Pool Pump off Grid

The pool only costs around $400 dollars a year to run but I thought I might make this a project. I am talking about filtration (sand filter), vacuuming and chlorination. Electricity prices in Queensland will continue to rise. The present pump is an Onga 750 Watt/240v pump. I am not sure whether to keep this pump and get sufficient solar panels and an inverter and run the chlorinator off it as well or buy one of those DC 48v/600 Watt pumps and replace the Onga instead. I have never undertaken any solar panel work before. Maybe some of you have already done this and can alert me to the pitfalls. In any event I am grateful for advice.
    Last edited by sparker; 16-12-13 at 11:56 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Funny i was only thinking the same thing over the weekend

i have the same onga PPP750 with sand filtration and a compuchlor chlorinator.

i ran my monitor on it over the weekend for the 7hrs per day that it runs
    and worked out it cost me $2.80 - $3 per day to run- monitor was fluctuating between
    40 and 43 cents per hour @ 1100 - 1150 watt ph

So with those numbers its over a grand a yr , i have 4 x 6 volt 225ah batteries
    and was going to sit down and work out if i could do it and the cost.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 16-12-13 at 01:50 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (16-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    Funny i was only thinking the same thing over the weekend

i have the same onga PPP750 with sand filtration and a compuchlor chlorinator.

i ran my monitor on it over the weekend for the 7hrs per day that it runs
    and worked out it cost me $2.80 - $3 per day to run- monitor was fluctuating between
    40 and 43 cents per hour @ 1100 - 1150 watt ph

So with those numbers its over a grand a yr , i have 4 x 6 volt 225ah batteries
    and was going to sit down and work out if i could do it and the cost.
    I must be doing the wrong calculations. I did 750 (watts) x5 hours per day x365 days per year = watts. Divide by 1000 to give KW and then multiply at 0.26c per KW. That works out at $356. I also looked at the difference in power consumption on our monitor when the pump was running and when it was turned off. The answer came out about the same.

Nevertheless, Have a look at this . The cost is $USD880 and is a solar powered floating filtration system. There would still need to be vacuuming somehow and chlorination.

From what I can gather the chlorinators actually run at DC low voltage even though they operate from AC plugs ().

Thanks

mine was with my chlorinator running and my power costs are $0.38 peak - $0.21 off peak
    northern nsw.I have placed my monitor back on and will come back with my exact readings
    for the night.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    mine was with my chlorinator running and my power costs are $0.38 peak - $0.21 off peak
    northern nsw.I have placed my monitor back on and will come back with my exact readings
    for the night.
    at 38c per KWH and also running the chlorinator then it is close to $1000 for you, as you said. I guess it depends on how much off-peak you're using. It will go up at any rate.
    I spoke to a pump salesman who recommended brushless DC motors which he says are a cheaper option to solar. Here they cost about $800. The pool man said the same thing - that solar was not an economical option and brushless DC pumps are the way to go.
    I still would like the pool off the grid if the costs are "ball park". More Privatisation is looming here in Queensland and the history in other states shows the result as sky rocketing power bills.

• The Following User Says Thank You to sparker For This Useful Post:

car54 (17-12-13)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    at 38c per KWH and also running the chlorinator then it is close to $1000 for you, as you said. I guess it depends on how much off-peak you're using. It will go up at any rate.
    I spoke to a pump salesman who recommended brushless DC motors which he says are a cheaper option to solar. Here they cost about $800. The pool man said the same thing - that solar was not an economical option and brushless DC pumps are the way to go.
    I still would like the pool off the grid if the costs are "ball park". More Privatisation is looming here in Queensland and the history in other states shows the result as sky rocketing power bills.

You are a prime target for "re-education" We all know (have been told) that privatisation leads to competition which results in CHEAPER PRICES.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Whose moonshine, you been drinking, watchdog? Or are you Big Ears in disguise?

Thanks

I was thinking to do a similar option for a spa but with the addition of evacuated tube solar hot water to assist heating.

(SEC+Capital)=Electric Bill

Old SECV Costs which included some excesses in employment - which actually benefitted many of the communities they operated in churned out nearly a 1000apprentices and trainees a year. Supported local TAFES and Australian manufacturers and local business.

Privatisation
    (Generator+capital+profit)+(distributor+capital+Pr ofit)+(retailer + profit)=Electric bills

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I just commissioned a pool tonight.

Yes, DC variable motor is the go.
    Multi speed depending on what calls it (Heating, Cleaning or Filtration) then it just ramps down to a trickle..... for the rest of the time, which is 90%.

The whole concept of the DC Variable speed pool pump motor is to save running costs.
    That's why they are installed. The subject has been covered many times on Whirlpool.

Look at the Zodiac products.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-12-13 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I just commissioned a pool tonight.

Yes, DC variable motor is the go.
    Multi speed depending on what calls it (Heating, Cleaning or Filtration) then it just ramps down to a trickle..... for the rest of the time, which is 90%.

The whole concept of the DC Variable speed pool pump motor is to save running costs.
    That's why they are installed. The subject has been covered many times on Whirlpool.

Look at the Zodiac products.
    Yes, you're right. However, the more people that cut back on their power consumption the higher electricity rates must go in order for the power companies to cover their enormous fixed costs. Conversely, the more they put up their rates the more people will switch over to other sources of power. Eventually, the power companies will be on a path of self destruction. Worzel Gummidge would call it "electrickery". Of course, there's a long way to go before that happens and I can justify going solar so I tell myself this is "a project" but I would really like to give the power company the finger .....even if it costs a little more.
    Last edited by sparker; 19-12-13 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

If anybody is interested I have done some more research (research=browsing) which I thought I would share. You can get an off the shelf solar chlorinator (and ioniser) for $US390 and a solar filter for $US890. Info is here and here .

There is still the problem of vacuuming. People smarter than me may have some suggestions to fabricate/engineer their own systems. The solar set up is dearer than the multi speed DC pump and more hassle unless you go for the ready made options. However, it would get you off the grid except for vacuuming. There's probably a solution for that too at more cost.

I still don't know what is needed for a straight out solar powered pump to push water through the existing sand filter and chlorinator. The existing pump is 750W. The clearwater brand chlorinator I have requires about 5.2v DC and 15 amps! (It's a 240V system but has a transformer/inverter to step it down).

Any expert advice here would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sparker; 26-12-13 at 06:27 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to sparker For This Useful Post:

weirdo (28-12-13)

Thanks

I don't about vacuuming but I like the solar filter and solar pump because I think they can help to reduce the consumption of electricity. Are these pump charge with solar power or directly run on sun heat power?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orville L. Powell View Post
    I don't know about vacuuming but I like the solar filter because I think they can help to reduce the consumption of electricity. Are these pump charge with solar power or directly run on sun heat power?
    any views?
    Last edited by Orville L. Powell; 21-04-14 at 04:46 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Gee that floating one looks good...only thing like it I could see was the same thing on int'l ebay

I was mucking around sometime ago thinking of a cheaper way to do things, and this is what I got back in reply...I was thinking of running the pool off of solar panels and pump to suit......gulp......

Our SunSmart 500 pump with 4 panel kit will suit running the pool filtration for pools up to 70,000lts. Larger and smaller systems available to suit all pool sizes.

Pricing (incl. gst)

SunSmart 500W Pump / motor assembly $1125.00

SunSmart MPPT Controller $695.00

Solar Panels - 195 watt Mono Crystalline 10 year factory warranty, 25 year performance warranty

4 panel kit (includes rails and mountings) $1400.00

Panel size H 1.58m x W 810mm

Electrical items:-

1. Isolator with IP65 enclosure $75.00

2. 1 each Male & Female 'T' branch $25.00

3. 4 x 2mtr extension cable $22.00

4. 6 x MC4 connectors $51.00

5. 4mm DC Cable 2 core per mtr $ 3.00

KIT PRICE – SunSmart 500W Solar pump & controller with 4 PANEL KIT and electrical items 1 to 4

$3393.00 + freight **

Then you gotta put it all together....floating one looks good...I wonder about winter filtration though?
    Last edited by viewer; 21-04-14 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

last one says he also uses mains pump with it too.
    Last edited by viewer; 21-04-14 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks

Came across this supplier. Was checking out their Solar Air Conditioner. They do solar pool pumps as well.

Also found this DIY setup on Youtube