Thread: ozTOPO v5

Thanks

Default ozTOPO v5

G'day

I'm still using the CONTOURS from v3 on top of CN.

I hear the v5 CONTOURS are a lot better !

New 10m contours, more closely representing on ground data

Perhaps GPSOZ might turn a blind eye to someone sharing just the CONTOURS? TRY before we BUY?

Given v6 has :
    More than 2.5 million km of highways, roads, 4WD tracks, ferries, cycle ways, paths and more
    based on Q4 2013 MDS data (more detail than Google!)
    Camps7 locations - over 3900 locations of free and low cost camping spots
    Added 16,000+ Public toilet locations
    Inclusion of NSW Marine Data - lights, buoys, markers and boat ramps for both costal and inland waterways.

Perhaps members may be tempted to actually support an OZZIE company by buying v6 in the new year
    (no charge upgrades to customers that purchased V5 full version on or after 1-Dec-2013)

(o)(o)
    =(_)=
    Last edited by (o)(o); 17-12-13 at 07:43 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Yep, Initially I'm somewhat tempted (o)(o) but then reality sets in.
    Garmin Topo v4 is nearly $50 cheaper as a comparison at JA and I'm a looong way from any NSW marine locations .
    More than that, I don't believe there are 1:25k digital maps for all of Australia. Queensland where I live, has a largish gap in that respect afaik.
    Also there class 10 mSD cards are overkill imho and must add to the cost.
    If they could reduce the price down to just below the "magic" $200 mark or match Garmin, even if Oztopo v6 is the best map since maps were invented, they must do better.

From my experience it appears most Australians support anybody who is selling stuff at the lowest price. That's why we indirectly support child labour in developing countries and are bettering the lives of many Chinese while our small manufacturing industry is shrinking week-by-week. Don't get me started on that, but all things considered, the maps I got when I bought my Montana will have to do for now.
    phil
    Last edited by Philbo; 24-05-14 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

G'day phil,

Is Garmin really cheaper?

Let's compare:
    .... Garmin topo v4 v ozTopo
    couple of years old v yearly update
    pay for new edition v pay $99 for upgrade
    ....... 10m contours v 5m contours
    . one combined map v contour lines are a separate map (can be overlaid on CN)

Given tracks don't change much from year to year (else Garmin would make topo map more often!) you're probably right.

(o)(o)
    =(_)=
    Last edited by (o)(o); 25-05-14 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by (o)(o) View Post
    G'day phil,

Is Garmin really cheaper?

Let's compare:
    .... Garmin topo v4 v ozTopo
    couple of years old v yearly update
    pay for new edition v pay $99 for upgrade
    ....... 10m contours v 5m contours
    . one combined map v contour lines are a separate map (can be overlaid on CN)

Given tracks don't change much from year to year (else Garmin would make topo map more often!) you're probably right.
    Sorry I was dreaming, 5m contours would be great! (Oz being so relatively flat)

But the reality is 20m (Garmin) v 10m (OZtopo)

(o)(o)
    =(_)=

Thanks

deleted by me
    phil
    Last edited by Philbo; 14-06-14 at 06:13 PM. Reason: cause i can't read... that's why

Thanks

...and therein lies the difference; contours. Without going on a four year trek using both products, I can say that the number of contours displayed would have little or no effect me sitting back in my comfy fourby. If I had my hiker's hat on I might say differently. The Great Sandy Desert would not respect contour maps.
    Oz Topo v5 was comparable in price to Garmin's Aus Topo and yet didn't have address-to-address navigation did it? I've never used it but I'm still wondering why that was.
    If anyone here can put up a good argument for paying a premium price for Oz Topo now, please be my guest, honestly. I am genuinely interested in differences vs usage vs price comparisons and I'm sure most intrepid 4wheel drivers here would be too. That's why I like forums; information comes in from many members with so much experience and knowledge which allows people like me to make very informed decisions on products and procedures that are of interest.
    phil
    Last edited by Philbo; 27-06-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Actually since OZ Topo V4; it has had address to address navigation (autorouting).

BTW V6 now available.

What's new in V6:
    Inclusion of NSW Marine Data - lights, buoys, markers and boat ramps for both coastal and inland waterways.
    Improved Autorouting - ability to autoroute over longer distances, improved calculation times
    Updated CAMPS7 locations
    Updated Public Toilet locations, 16,500+
    Updated mapping from Map Data Services as of their Q4 2013 release with additional roads, tracks, pois and National Parks and State forest boundaries.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

The more I read about Oz Topo the more I am liking it. One chap elsewhere did some serious comparisons for his neck of the woods and using his personal experience and several products, he reckoned OzTopo came out ahead. (He was using V4 btw).

Um, a bloke named Brian from OzTopo said of V4 "One of the reasons we don't put routing in OZtopo is that . . ." (edited remainder) "cheers brian oztopo creator" So yeah Tiny, not in V4 but since V5 for sure.
    This bloke from Oztopo also said, more detail is what people want. Too right!
    I never thought Gee, I'd like autorouting through this rural area or where's a toilet ;-)).
    For me maps of whatever kind are for reference; the beauty of maps on devices is that (usually), my vehicle is on it too! I still marvel at that.

Garmin simply buy the latest maps from "Here" "Whereis" "Navteq" etc etc, whereas OzTopo has to dig deeper to get that much more rare feature which is goat tracks, bush tracks and half roads. They are the gold that we are probably all digging for.
    Since OzTopo is in its 2nd version with autorouting, it would have to be a more mature feature and Camps7 is in there too so all in all (no discounts here mate) it is looking better value.
    Still, I could do without it and NSW marine info and 16,000 dunny locations if the price could be tweaked down a wee bit but I'm thinking those 2
    additional features aren't what get the product up to the price level it is at. My opinion only of course.
    phil
    Last edited by Philbo; 29-06-14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I aim for accuracy

Thanks

I do outback and bush 4WDing as well as hiking and skiing in the mountains. My Hema Navigator has to be replaced so I've been looking at (other) digital maps.

In the past on my NUVI I've used Garmin Topo Aus V2 and found it close to useless: errors and the scale means key detail is not there. Maybe V4 is better.

You can get an idea of the detail and map-making skill in Oztopo V6 by downloading a sample here: Play with zooming and you'll see why vector mapping trumps raster any day.

The scale is a nominal 25 K. IMO you can't nav through tricky country with anything much over 100 K and even that will go you in the poo often enough. For that purpose the lovely Hema regional maps simply don't cut it.

Another option is PDF maps. Recent 25 and 30 K versions for my state are $8 each and you need a heap to span the borders. They can be run in an app (Avenza PDF maps) but that doesn't have the full functionality of a GPS.

Oztopo looks like a prime contender to meet my needs. If you stick to main roads your ordinary GPSr should be enough.
    Last edited by rsser; 04-11-14 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks

G'day

The following discussion posted by me on GPSpower may be of some help (or may probably cause more confusion !!!!!!)

Postby Shatkins » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm taken from GPSoz Discussion Forum

Set Track to Map Elevation

I have recently purchased OZtopo V6 after using Garmin Topo Aust & NZ V3 for many years. I changed due to the fact that with Garmin Topo Maps you are not able to print a hard copy map form Basecamp if your maps are bought as a SD card or downloaded. However, most of my tracks I follow are hand drawn on Basecamp and followed using a map and compass and/or GPS.

Once a track is created on Basecamp there is an option in the information window, that shows individual trackpoints, to "Set Track to Map Elevation". This is Greyed out and not usable with OZtopo but works with Gamin Topo Maps. When hiking tracks it is important to know elevation profiles to accurately plan trips. I only use Apple Mac computers

Is this only an issue on Mac computers? Is there a reason this function is not available?

Thanks
    GPSoz
    No not an issue with MAC. Its due to the fact that OZtopo does not include DEM (digital elevation model) data. Its something that been on our investigation list, admittedly low down. We currently working on other features at the moment, eg improve autorouting, adding Marine features for other states, improving road data. But we'll take a look at it,

thanks for the feedback
    cheers
    brian

(o)(o)
    =(_)=

ps To add to the confusion Garmin are working on TOPO v5 Lite (DEM data has been removed, BUT 3D shading has be added)

• The Following User Says Thank You to (o)(o) For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-11-14)

Thanks

Default Garmin Topo maps

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    I do outback and bush 4WDing as well as hiking and skiing in the mountains. My Hema Navigator has to be replaced so I've been looking at (other) digital maps.
    In the past on my NUVI I've used Garmin Topo Aus V2 and found it close to useless: errors and the scale means key detail is not there. Maybe V4 is better.
    You can get an idea of the detail and map-making skill in Oztopo V6 by downloading a sample here: Play with zooming and you'll see why vector mapping trumps raster any day.........................
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, Garmin V2 might not suit some but to compare Garmin V2 with Oztopo v5 is in my opinion, unfair. Garmin are up to V4. Most companies update their maps with features and accuracy of data on a regular basis. And for the record, Garmin maps are vector too.
    Interested persons can check out Garmin's latest Topo for Oz on their website at:

I've done a "bit of looking" on the web and it is true that one can print maps out from Basecamp. I am surprised the SD or downloaded version would prohibit printing. I would check on that personally before parting with dollars elsewhere if that was the defining criterium.
    Word of mouth is a powerful thing and I reckon used to be the best way to buy wise. Now the internet trumps that, all should agree.

My advice is, check around on forums and review sites before deciding, but here right now I can say from experience that Hema are old but I would definitely keep them on my fourby in paper form. Because they digitized them doesn't make them better. In ships, the paper form must be available as well as the electronic charts at all times. Same goes for country driving imho.

For what it's worth as I could be fibbing, I used Garmin Topo v3 in my works truck on a top-of-the-line Nuvi (gotta love the boss for that) for oh, about 2 years driving around the back blocks of Southern Queensland and I liked it. No issues at all. It beat Russa on an old PDA hands down let me say.
    I also ran Shonky Maps contiguously because it had our company data embedded in it.

As for raster maps on electronic devices; my two-bobs worth. Nah. As I wrote before, I maintain that here in Queensland there is no complete 25k coverage. No one has bothered mapping to that level unless the defense forces are keeping them to themselves. The 25k maps that are available have hairy old warts on them, old, old, old. Any company that states they have full 25k coverage for all of Australia, well, I would be asking some searching questions.
    phil
    Last edited by Philbo; 06-11-14 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks

Default OZtopo V7

I don't visit this forum on a regular basis but this seems like place to post some V7 OZtopo comments.

So whats planned:
    Adding CAMPS8 locations
    Updating Toilet locations
    reworked Autorouting to remove V6 restrictions, will now autoroute along all track types. No distance restrictions, Much faster calculations
    Will ship on 4GB card standard - other card size optional (USB flash drive will also be optional with download as an alternative)
    considering making inland water features (rivers creeks etc) transparent like the contours so effective a third layer that you can turn on and off
    change of colour scheme to make tracks more visible in NP and state forests
    Based on MDS maps Q4 2014 - Net change +5,114 KMS of more tracks/roads (now 2.6+Million kms)
    Available Feb 2015
    Free upgrade to V7 from any 2015 V6 purchases ie now

Some general comments
    Wont be doing a lite version - I see this as Garmin's "give away" version to promote hw sales
    Cost of C10 vs any other speed card is small. Yes we have seen benefits on some units.
    There may not be digital raster 1:25K maps available for parts of Australia but data certainly is

Its not too late for other changes so lets hear them.

As for pricing - no change.

cheers
    brian

• The Following User Says Thank You to gpsoz For This Useful Post:

Tiny (05-01-15)

Thanks

Hi, do you do the conversion software for this or just distribute it?
    Are you applying bezier curves between points to manufacture extra points for curves?
    It just looks very smooth compared with other data. I’ve only got Google images to go by.

I’ll offer $99 for full version for one GPS, simply because I think it’s unreasonable to buy it after another topo product, but I would enjoy the comparison.
    Might as well try.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

You do realise the last post in this thread is over 3.5 years old?

Thanks

Later on after posting yeah It’s up to version 9 now!