Thread: Using data allowance on a phone SIM

Thanks

Default Using data allowance on a phone SIM

Happy new year to all,
    Is it possible to use the data allowance on a Woolworths phone SIM card in a USB wireless modem? If so, how?
    Woolies gives you $500 worth of calls and 5Gb data at $29 for 45 days all through Optus, now, if you can't use all this data on your phone is it possible to use it in a wireless modem and thereby extend the value?
    A friend of mine has the Woolies SIM for her phone but her phone doesn't do the net, so she also has a Telstra USB dongle for the net, in effect she is paying for two lots of data but is only using one.
    Can an unlocked USB modem be used for accessing the net using her Wooolies (Optus) SIM card?
    Thanks people, just asking before too much is spent on something that may not work.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

can do but the Telstra dongle would be 850/2100 for 3G, Optus uses 900/2100 so reception could be an issue, cheap Optus spec 3G USB modem would be the way to go, set the appropriate APN and you'd be good to go

Banned

Thanks

I used a Globesurfer II with the woolies sim and you can plug a hand set in as well and use the phone .

I have an unlocked one for sale if you are interested $50 P.P.
    Last edited by marty 17; 02-01-14 at 03:52 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I tried to be a 'Smarty' with that Optus 'Hello' SIM card and an Hauwai WiFi dongle but Optus wont wear it under the old 'Unlimited' use.

My friend uses an 'Hello' card' with a Crazy John USB dongle and he gets the full unlimited use of both calls and Data but when he tried to use my SIM in his dongle, it was restricted to the user rates.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I tried to be a 'Smarty' with that Optus 'Hello' SIM card and an Hauwai WiFi dongle but Optus wont wear it under the old 'Unlimited' use.

My friend uses an 'Hello' card' with a Crazy John USB dongle and he gets the full unlimited use of both calls and Data but when he tried to use my SIM in his dongle, it was restricted to the user rates.
    Thats odd, i have them working for over 24 months, no probs.... friends too, also no probs.
    I have been surprised i havent been pinged, sometimes using 18Gb in under a day....

The service just gets faster and better (less congestion issues) .... so, they keep getting my money
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-01-14 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

Thank you to everyone that responded, I have now bought an unlocked dongle and it works fine with the Woolies SIM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dv8 For This Useful Post:

jok11n (08-01-14)