Thread: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Thanks

Default The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Peter Jackson's second part to his Lord of the Rings prequel - for that is what this series of films is more so than a faithful adaptation of Tolkien's children's story - is certainly an improvement on his first part. While Jackson once again takes great liberties with the tone and content of Tolkien's story, when the action ramps up, there's less of the overblown helter skelter silliness of the first film. There's no plate-juggling singing dwarves, vulgar half-wit cockney trolls or superfluously literalised stone giant battles here. Instead there's a very creepy and suspenseful spider encounter in Mirkwood, an adrenalised barrel rider sequence, and a re-imagined portrayal of the wood elves which works quite nicely despite the risks of the substantial changes.

The considerable rejigging of the films signature dragon sequence, however, fares less well, submitting to the kind of Hollywoodised climactic spectacle that ruined the goblin caves sequence in the previous film. Again, Jackson indulges his own desires when the economy and elegance of the source material would have fared better; especially when Jackson's creation is littered with inconsistencies and irrationalities. The mid-chapter finish of the sequence (and the movie!) is also frustrating to say the least.

The Desolation of Smaug curiously has a wider HFR (high frame rate) release this time around despite the clear problems with it last time. And the problems persist with this latest film though, it seems, to a lesser degree. Are the problems being slowly ironed out or are we just getting used to it? It's hard to say. But it's probably telling that critic's screenings were not offered the HFR cut this time and that there have been no other HFR releases outside of the Hobbit films. It is likely that after the Hobbit films are done, the technique will (deservedly) slide into obscurity except, perhaps, for some specific applications.

While The Desolation of Smaug is an improvement over it's predecessor, it is clear that after this trilogy is complete the definitive Hobbit film will yet to have been made; for while Jackson's movies may prove to be effective prequels to his own Lord of the Rings trilogy, it is not a faithful adaptation of what Tolkien prescribed. I look forward to that film.

7.5 out of 10

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if you don't care about Tolkien's original storyline and you want to see barrel races and fights with Orcs and loads of Elves this is the movie for you
    if you care about Tolkien's Hobbit and prefer some immersive storylines you are probably less likely to enjoy this
    its Michael Bay in Middle Earth

Thanks

Are we to expect a 3rd installment as this is how it ended for me ?
    Ok, a quick google shows yes there is a 3rd due this new - no doubt boxing day.
    Last edited by loanrangiel; 13-01-14 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks

I really enjoyed this one, though I think that enjoyment may have had a bit to do with the years it's been since I read the original book. I was a bit more skeptical about the first, as it seemed a bit too cerebral with all the flashbacks and bits of Tolkien lore explained in such detail. The one major issue that I have with these films is the fact that they've lost a bit of the excitement and adventurous spirit of the books-- however, I do understand that it would be difficult to follow The Lord Of The Rings with anything TOO lighthearted. I liked the Ed Sheeran song at the end a bit more than I would have expected, too, but I'd really love to hear a TRUE folk-singer take on a song for the last film.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottguy View Post
    I liked the Ed Sheeran song at the end a bit more than I would have expected...
    Was that the "boy band" abomination that contaminated the end credits? What the hell were they thinking with that shit?

• The Following User Says Thank You to slickstu For This Useful Post:

loanrangiel (29-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    Was that the "boy band" abomination that contaminated the end credits? What the hell were they thinking with that shit?
    Yeah, that was Ed Sheeran. When I first heard it I thought the same thing, that his voice really stuck out as a bit too modern and a bit too "pop" (or "boy band" as you put it), but after I did a bit of online research on it and listened to the song again, I appreciated it a bit more.

Apparently Peter Jackson's daughter is a big Ed Sheeran fan and that's how the two were introduced. Jackson asked Sheeran to do a song for the film, and Sheeran could not have been more excited about it. He said that The Hobbit was actually a huge part of his childhood and that his father would read the book to him each night before bed when he was a kid. So they brought him in and showed him an advance screening, then he wrote and recorded the song immediately afterwards, inspired by his thoughts on the movie. Then when I listened to the song again, I really felt his excitement to be involved with the project and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a perfect endcap to the thematic threads of this installment. And on top of that, I noticed that it really WAS very different from Sheeran's usual music, mostly in the instrumentation which was altogether very traditional.

That being said, if I saw the movie again I'd still probably feel the song stuck out like a sore thumb. But I think I appreciated the thought behind it a bit more, and I respect Jackson AND Sheeran for trying out something new like they did. But I think ideally for the series' third installment, I'd love to hear someone with a bit less of a polished voice than Sheeran doing something similar in process (writing in IMMEDIATE reflection to the film) but in sound maybe more minimal. The sound I've always felt would work best for The Hobbit's story is the sound of an Irish travelling bard, telling something of a ballad of the characters' arc.

Thanks

Jackson certainly seemed to be indulging somebody!
    And I'd say Sheeran does not know how to write a themed musical soundtrack. Can you imagine a bard playing that song in the Prancing Pony? I think not.

Thanks

It seems I'm not the only one who had trouble getting "into" the first Hobbit movie. To me, it seemed like a Kmart version of the Lord of the Rings movies. I have yet to see the second Hobbit film. When it comes to Blu Ray, I will pick it up and decide for myself.

Part of the reason I have issues with movies today, is the over use of CGI. Back in the days of "Aliens" and "Hellraiser," effects had to be done with careful precision to make them realistic. I have yet to see a computerized image on a movie, match the look of realism that we enjoyed on Aliens. Computer graphics are cheaper; and may advance in the future; but for now; they generally ruin a movie for me.
    Last edited by Thomas Ennis; 27-01-14 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Thanks

I can't believe it but I actually still haven't seen the first Hobbit movie. I loved the book and was actually waiting for the movie to come out but I just never got around to it. Reading the review of part 2 here I think I'm going to have to get the DVD of the Hobbit and get myself to the cinema to see this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Ennis View Post
    Part of the reason I have issues with movies today, is the over use of CGI. Back in the days of "Aliens" and "Hellraiser," effects had to be done with careful precision to make them realistic. I have yet to see a computerized image on a movie, match the look of realism that we enjoyed on Aliens. Computer graphics are cheaper; and may advance in the future; but for now; they generally ruin a movie for me.
    you are going to be disappointed - looks like the great majority of every set and character (non human) is CGI in this movie

Thanks

Yeah, the CGI is actually one of my issues with it as well. I think, to a certain extent, it's lost a lot of imagination. From the original films, for sure, but there's SO much imagination and wonder that is lost from the book. I think a lot of it is also to do with the decision to make THREE films, instead of the original idea of two, or the ideal choice of one. They're entertaining, for sure, and I'll still see the last one and probably will like it but it never will seem to me the perfect adaptation of the story. But then again, who needs a perfect adaptation when I've got the book?

Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the over use of CGI. Man of Steel was completely ruined by this facet. CGI environments are not always bad, but a lot of the motion and effects inside look so phony; it distracts from the movie experience. I agree with you scottguy, books will always be tops in my book.

Thanks

the barrel rolling scene with the orcs and elves was just terrible

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
    the barrel rolling scene with the orcs and elves was just terrible
    Terrible; in the sense it looked fake? Do you mean the scene itself?

Thanks

it looked fake and it was implausible even by that movies standards!
    Orcs being rolled like ten pins by a dwarf stuck in a barrel just looked like it was added to make kids laugh and buy the video game

Thanks

I hate when they do that in movies! I have nothing against movies that want to create a kid friendly; humorous environment, but purposely exploiting scenes that will make good videos games is shameful. The question is: "was the barreling rolling scene in the book?"

Thanks

nope..........no barrel rolling ten pin action in the book
    the whole party gets to Lake-town without any further molestation from the Orcs or Elves, being hidden in the barrels