Thread: Evaporative Aircon... no water not cool

Thanks

Default Evaporative Aircon... no water not cool

Hey i just looked out the upstairs window and saw that there was no water dripping down the sides of my Evap Cooler Unit on the roof. usually i see water dripping down the side of the 'gills' . Its bloody hot and the aircon has been on for a few days. Can anyone give some sensible advice please. Yes i know i can get it serviced but before i go down that path is there anything to do?
    Thanks guys.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bula For This Useful Post:

blade_900au (15-01-14)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    Hey i just looked out the upstairs window and saw that there was no water dripping down the sides of my Evap Cooler Unit on the roof. usually i see water dripping down the side of the 'gills' . Its bloody hot and the aircon has been on for a few days. Can anyone give some sensible advice please. Yes i know i can get it serviced but before i go down that path is there anything to do?
    Thanks guys.
    My advice would be dont turn it on again. I am sure I just read another post in which a member had the similar and turned it on and farked it completely.

Edit : Read here, post 37

Thanks

Fan is blowing cool air but not cold . Seems to be a lack of water being fed to it. Is there a pump that feeds the water that is known to blow? Or other reasons.

Geez i just had to take my router down from the upstairs room, put it in the fridge to cool it down and get it from dropping signal. Thats Hot.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bula For This Useful Post:

saspilot007 (16-02-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    Fan is blowing cool air but not cold . Seems to be a lack of water being fed to it. Is there a pump that feeds the water that is known to blow? Or other reasons.

Geez i just had to take my router down from the upstairs room, put it in the fridge to cool it down and get it from dropping signal. Thats Hot.
    Sorry mate, I dont know a lot about them as I dont own one. Maybe you could shoot a PM to the member in the thread, he would know more than me and he does mention a pump a few times so might be able to give you some advice. It could be something minor, it would be hard to get anyone out at the moment.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Stick a sprinkler on the roof and make sure it covers the Evap unit in water.... Pretty simple really
    If you have a switch on the wall that has a selection for just the fan only, use that... Just incase you burn out the pump.

I do this to many Pubs and Resorts this time of year, to their proper refrigerated AirCon systems.... Its like a second stage cooling effect.
    Better heat transfer, low gas pressures, more it can work in the hot weather.

I pulled an old pedestal fan out yesterday, it reminded me of the days when i was 10 years old and my Pa would go to the Ice Works, get a huge block of ice and put the Pedestal fan behind it.... You'd sit and feel spits of water as it flew off the ice block... Now we have all these fancy coolers that break down
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-01-14 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks

Thanks guys, update... spoke to a really nice chap at an Aircon place and he explained the simplicity of the unit to me. I got up on the roof. Took the lid off crushed a few whopping big spiders... grabbed my hose at this blokes instruction and 'hosed' the water pipes. The water started flowing down the elements again when i turned it on. So it may have been a bit of a blockage probably a spider! Might need to get a proper service on it on a cooler day soon.

Administrator
    Thanks

Good stuff Nothing better than an easy fix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Good stuff Nothing better than an easy fix.
    Followed by a cold beer

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

In WA evap air con is extremely popular as we have very few humid days and it is hard to get it serviced in summer. I get mine serviced every 2 years at the start of spring, it's very cheap for that peace of mind. I also run it once a month through the cooler months (when I remember) just to help keep everything moving, I recommend doing that at the very least, I tell myself it helps the system...!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I cant be bothered with Evaps (swampies)..... When you really need them, they aren't that great.
    But, they do handle the majority of hot days down south

Glad you got it sorted Bula.... Relaxation time at your place

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Sorry for coming into the thread late and ignore the following if still working ok , what brand, is it Brivis or a derivative, if so there is an inherent problem with a motorized water feed pump. There is a plastic hose located at the front base which cracks, it requires the removal of the pads to expose. A motor drives an arm which flexes the hose, over time the hose gets brittle and breaks, leaking the water which does not make it to the top of the unit when recycling the water from the trough. If so lets know as i go past Brivis once a week
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"