Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket receiver and Foxtel

Thanks

Guys,

What do you think about the possibility of the tuner in box 3 been faulty (not sending power to LNB even though it shows as on)? Could this be the reason why the additional box is required to be powered on so that the LNB is getting powered?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Try it in "Tuner 3" and see if that works.
    Have you tried all 4 tuners?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Try it in "Tuner 3" and see if that works.
    Have you tried all 4 tuners?
    Yep, tried 1-3 2-3 3-4 2-4.

• The Following User Says Thank You to BrutusB For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (29-01-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusB View Post
    ...In terms of the connection it was an original 1 LNB out to 1 cable, this was changed to a 4 LNB out to now power 6 outlets (2 for each box).
    Hmmmm..... how can a quad LNB (you say "4 LNB out") allow independent operation of three receivers (you say "6 outlets (2 for each box)"), when a dual LNB is required to operate a single receiver?

If the installation is indeed as described, one receiver must be piggy-backed (i.e. connected via receiver feed through).
    Last edited by tristen; 29-01-14 at 12:50 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If the tuner was 'faulty' it should never have been installed in the first place.

Way back when Galaxy (pre Foxtel/Austar) began it was the norm to only have ONE STB powering the LNB in multi set installations until they had a few fail and the customer lost their reception until an installer could attend, all of which cost money and made people in Rural and Remote areas very unhappy when they had to wait several days for that to happen.
    So for that very obvious reason, from then on Multi room installations generally have the LNB power turned ON at all times.

I know how I would connect 3 Dual Tuner STB's (Dual LNB + Electronic Multiswitch) but whether thats the correct way or not I dont know.
    Tristen, I think you have nailed it with your reply, One STB on one pair, One STB on the other pair and the 3rd on a 'Pass Through' but would that give you all channels depending on your package?
    If it works, its a cheap way to avoid installing a Multiswitch..........

Following what Leroy said recently that 'Pass Through's' only pass signals through and not LNB power, its makes sense doesnt it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-01-14 at 01:25 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This installation was performed by Foxtel so I'm not really sure what they've done. The only strange thing I've seen is where box 2 is connected there's an earth point on the wall plate which plugs into the power?

Premium Member

Thanks

This installation was performed by Foxtel so I'm not really sure what they've done.
    It's academic speculating about what takes place at site one when we should be talking about why two of three receivers fail to work successfully at site two.

If all receivers work correctly at site one and assuming that all receivers are identical, i.e. the same model (you say "and it's all working with 3 IQ HD's at site 1"), logic dictates that if one box operates correctly at site two, the boxes that fail to work at that site must be set up differently in some way (or they differ in some other way - see below).

Re-check the LNB configuration and all other installation/setup details in the non-working receivers and make sure that they conform in every way to that of the already-working receiver.

...BTW, I got my own system hooked up yesterday (all aftermarket products and without a satellite finder with no knowledge of how this all works!) and works perfectly with my friends box.
    There is one other possibility however - your installation (site 2) is not perfect as you have assumed (see above).

The receiver that works satisfactorily might have better sensitivity than the others you have tried, thus allowing it to work with a misaligned dish and/or LNB.

Check you dish alignment and the LNB skew (LNB rotational position in LNB holder) for maximum signal strength and quality (as indicated by the working receiver).

Also... the LNB must be positioned at the focal point of the dish in order for maximum signal to be obtained. Slide the LNB back and forth in its holder for maximum signal strength and quality as indicated by the appropriate scales on the working receiver.

Additional info...

1/.

2/.

... The only strange thing I've seen is where box 2 is connected there's an earth point on the wall plate which plugs into the power?
    I don't see that this has any bearing on the failure to work at site two.

One other thing...

Tell us a little more about the setup at your site (site two) so that we have a better picture of your installation - i.e. dish size, LNB brand, type and local oscillator (LO) frequency, and whether it's a single/dual/quad). Also, the number of outlets, type of cable used etc.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

admin (30-01-14),Tiny (30-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    It's academic speculating about what takes place at site one when we should be talking about why two of three receivers fail to work successfully at site two.

If all receivers work correctly at site one and assuming that all receivers are identical, i.e. the same model (you say "and it's all working with 3 IQ HD's at site 1"), logic dictates that if one box operates correctly at site two, the boxes that fail to work at that site must be set up differently in some way (or they differ in some other way - see below).

Re-check the LNB configuration and all other installation/setup details in the non-working receivers and make sure that they conform in every way to that of the already-working receiver.

There is one other possibility however - your installation (site 2) is not perfect as you have assumed (see above).

The receiver that works satisfactorily might have better sensitivity than the others you have tried, thus allowing it to work with a misaligned dish and/or LNB.

Check you dish alignment and the LNB skew (LNB rotational position in LNB holder) for maximum signal strength and quality (as indicated by the working receiver).

Also... the LNB must be positioned at the focal point of the dish in order for maximum signal to be obtained. Slide the LNB back and forth in its holder for maximum signal strength and quality as indicated by the appropriate scales on the working receiver.

Additional info...

1/.

2/.

I don't see that this has any bearing on the failure to work at site two.

One other thing...

Tell us a little more about the setup at your site (site two) so that we have a better picture of your installation - i.e. dish size, LNB brand, type and local oscillator (LO) frequency, and whether it's a single/dual/quad). Also, the number of outlets, type of cable used etc.

Hi All, thanks for your help.. As I suspected the box was faulty and replaced late tonight by the foxtel rep... Tuner wasn't outputting any volts and was relying on BOX 1 for power. I've gotta say they were quick to respond, we are in country Vic and they were here in 18 hours.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrutusB For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (01-02-14),OSIRUS (31-01-14),Tiny (01-02-14),tristen (31-01-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Theres no reason the STB couldnt have failed as the Installer walked out the door but if it was DOA from day one then he didnt do a very good job.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Theres no reason the STB couldnt have failed as the Installer walked out the door but if it was DOA from day one then he didnt do a very good job.
    I've seen this happen on a few occasions when the LNB input on the receiver was accidentally shorted as the coaxial cable was connected to or disconnected from the STB, wall plate or LNB, without switching the receiver off at the mains first.

Thanks

He said it was very strange but that it was possible it was DOA and didn't realise because it worked BAU when he left (without turning the 1st box off)

Thanks

Hey guys. I have an old satelite install with one coax outlet from the old Galaxy days. I know having only one outlet means that the IQ side of things with foxtel does not work, but do people think it is possible to connect a foxtel box up?

Also, I was reading how people mentioned that you can connect a neighbours box for example. How does that actually work ?

Thanks guys

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Providing the dish is still correctly aligned and it has a working 10700 LO LNB, it will work.... providing of course you have a Foxtel satellite decoder with its paired smartcard and a valid subscription

If the LNB is the original from the Galaxy days, you will need to replace it with a 10700 LO LNB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "connect a neighbours box" but if you mean using an additional box your neighbour has, that will work at a different address, providing all the above is available.

Thanks

Thanks mtv. I was able to test out a neighbours second box which they use in one of their bedrooms. At first I was getting a signal error but the EPG was working. There were two cables on the back of the box, I assume one for IQ and the other for just normal foxtel, so after plugging them both into my single wall socked and leaving one connected for about 15 minutes, it worked. Would there be any reason as to why it took a while for the signal to come through? Or is it just the simple fact that the sat had not been used in a very very long time ?

This was the receiver we had today:

The new ones seem to look like this:

Are their any major differences other than the look ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daniel000 View Post

This was the receiver we had today:

The new ones seem to look like this:

Are their any major differences other than the look ?
    when a Foxtel STB is disconnected from the power, & powered up again, it can sometimes takes up to 15 minutes to restore a picture

The first STB is a Foxtel IQ STB

the second STB is a Foxtel Standard STB

Last edited by OSIRUS; 19-04-14 at 11:23 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (20-04-14)

Thanks

Thanks OSIRUS. I have another noob question, we have a single LNB output on our roof with one socket coming from the wall. What do the dual models do ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Thanks OSIRUS. I have another noob question, we have a single LNB output on our roof with one socket coming from the wall. What do the dual models do ?
    A dual LNB gives you two separate outputs, so with a multi-tuner decoder (eg: iQ) you can record or watch channels from both vertical and horizontal transponders simultaneously, which you can only have one at a time with a single LNB. eg: vertical OR horizontal... one or the other.

Thanks

Thanks mtv, is it difficult to install a dual LNB ?

Does anyone know if the Foxtel Standard STB can record shows and does it have a HDMI output ?

Is it possible to say purchase a second hand Foxtel STB which may be a newer model that has HDMI out and use my smartcard in the box ?
    Last edited by daniel000; 20-04-14 at 10:35 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Thanks mtv, is it difficult to install a dual LNB ?

Does anyone know if the Foxtel Standard STB can record shows and does it have a HDMI output ?

Is it possible to say purchase a second hand Foxtel STB which may be a newer model that has HDMI out and use my smartcard in the box ?
    The Standard STB has only one LNB cable connecting to the STB,

The Standard STB does not have a HDMI connector it has 2 scart connectors, usually one scart connector goes to the TV, & the other scart connector goes to another device for separate recording e.g. VCR, PVR

(this is the only way to make recordings from this STB ....... & the recordings probably will not be in HD ..... coming though the scart connector)

The Standard STB does not have Recording functionality built into the STB

The Foxtel Smart card will not work in any other STB other than the one it is activated by foxtel to, ....... (this includes all other Foxtel STB's as well third party recievers)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 20-04-14 at 11:15 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (20-04-14)

Thanks

Thanks again. Looks like I will have to get the IQSD box (extra $10 a month) and set it up exactly like we did yesterday and use only the one coax cable going to the box. Would this still enable to me take advantage of recording? We used the RCA's on the IQSD box yesterday and was hard to watch on a large screen, with the two black lines on top and on the bottom of the picture. But HDMI was a lot better.

If I was to install a dual LNB would this enable me to get HD with a IQHD box ?

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast