Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket receiver and Foxtel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

You have to subscribe (pay) for the HD service. So yes, if you have a dual LNB and a Foxtel subscription with an iQHD box, you will get the HD channels.

All iQ decoders can record, providing you are paying for an iQ package, as Foxtel have sometimes provided an iQ decoder configured as a standard box.

ALL iQ decoders should have a dual LNB connected. You were just lucky it worked with only a single cable connected, if it is configured as an iQ decoder.

Don't assume that because it worked last time with only a single LNB connected, that all iQ decoders will work with only a single LNB connected... because they don't.

Check with your neighbour.... the one who's iQ box you borrowed and tested, as to what subscription that box has.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

daniel000 (21-04-14),OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Thanks

Okay fair enough.
    I will have to call and ask if it is possible to get the IQSD box configured as standard. I thought that there was an upgrade recently which eliminated those "tram lines" ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel000 View Post
    Okay fair enough.
    I will have to call and ask if it is possible to get the IQSD box configured as standard. I thought that there was an upgrade recently which eliminated those "tram lines" ?
    The only time an iQ box is configured as standard is if there are no standard boxes available at the time of installation.

The only 'single coax' iQ boxes are for cable. Satellite iQ decoders have either two or four LNB inputs, although only inputs 1 and 2 are used on the 4-input versions.

If you are going to call Foxtel to arrange a subscription to iQ/iQHD... they will upgrade your LNB/cabling as part of the installation anyway.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Thanks

Okay. Can you ask for a SD satellite setup ?

Thanks

I think I'm confusing myself here lol so I will try narrow down my questioning.

The box that I tried yesterday was a IQSD box which as you said, should not normally work with just a single LNB connection connected to the box, but is dependent on my neighbours subscription as to why it may have worked. ( just found out it is a IQ decoder and he can record on the second box ) - so not sure why it worked.

As mentioned earlier, if I was able to use a multi room box in another house for a limited time, I would need to get a Standard/Base box as I have a single LNB. The only concern with this is, will this box output a letterbox around the picture? As the box does not have HDMI.
    Last edited by daniel000; 20-04-14 at 01:27 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

As mentioned earlier, if I was able to use a multi room box in another house for a limited time, I would need to get a Standard/Base box as I have a single LNB. The only concern with this is, will this box output a letterbox around the picture? As the box does not have HDMI.
    If you have a 16:9 (widescreen) TV, you shouldn't get letterboxing.

If you have a 4:3 screen, you will get letterboxing, if the decoder aspect is set to widescreen.

You can change the aspect/zoom of the decoder to match the type of screen you have to your personal preferences.

You can change the aspect regardless if it's HDMI or composite output.

All Foxtel boxes have user-selectable aspect ratio.

Yes... you can request a standard decoder. You could also 'request' a standard decoder with HDMI output, which they 'may' supply an iQ box configured as a standard decoder (eg: no dual tuner and no recording function). Just insist you want HDMI capability, but only paying for standard.

Of course, the person who has the Foxtel account will have to make the request/place the order and the subscription may require a minimum-period contract.

You must have a very accommodating neighbour if they are prepared to do all that for you.

Thanks

Ok great. Would having a SCART to Component or a SCART to HDMI converter improve the picture quality at all ?
    And is it possible to sign up to foxtel and just have the Standard box install and no IQ to lower costs ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok great. Would having a SCART to Component or a SCART to HDMI converter improve the picture quality at all ?
    And is it possible to sign up to foxtel and just have the Standard box install and no IQ to lower costs ?
    SCART is not a video format, it's just the name of the type of connector, which can carry component, composite, S-video and audio.

The actual output signals are determined by the design of the equipment... not just the SCART connector.

Composite quality will remain the same, converting it won't improve it.
    You would also have the added cost of purchasing conversion equipment, for no real benefit.

If you want better quality.... pay for an iQ decoder. (or see if you can 'request' a 'standard' decoder with HDMI output, as per my previous post).

Yes, standard Foxtel is cheaper than iQ.

All the info is on the Foxtel website.

OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. Rang foxel and they said as long as you are able to have IQ installed that is the standard install that they provide and price is not lowered if you only want the standard box.

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. Rang foxel and they said as long as you are able to have IQ installed that is the standard install that they provide and price is not lowered if you only want the standard box.
    There you go.... always best to get info direct from the provider.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest, as there was always an expectation that iQ would become the 'standard' box.

I also expect the iQ3 box to be the only decoder supplied in the future and it will just be configured via the smartcard to activate/deactivate features according to the selected subscription.

In your case of using a box from another subscriber, would be to have your LNB changed to a dual output and the additional coax installed, then you can take full advantage of the iQ that your neighbour has subscribed to.

Thanks

Thanks mtv! I have installed extra antenna points in my house before. So running the coax in the roof is familiar to me, but changing the LNB is unknown territory! Is this difficult to do ? And am I right in saying, that having the extra LNB installed wouldnt increase the quality of picture but just enable me to take advantage of the IQ.

Administrator
    Thanks

Changing the LNB is simple, although you do need to adjust the skew (rotation angle) to obtain the best signal.

If you mark the angle of the existing LNB in the holder and match it with the new one, it will be fairly close.

To align it accurately, you need to be able to see the signal screen from the decoder, or use a satellite meter which has a signal 'quality' display.

A dual LNB makes no difference to picture quality. It just provides an additional output. It's actually, two separate LNB's sharing one enclosure and feedhorn, so that they can operate entirely independently from each other.

OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am a bit surprised we havent heard more by now regarding the future direction by Foxtel/Austar regarding the introduction of a 'NEW' STB they mentioned in previous News letters etc.
    I think its fair to say that any new installs will have Dual Cable connections and only the 'New' version of the current IQ/Mystar will be installed.
    This is good business because people may be reluctant to upgrade from single Tuners to the dual ones but if its already there and a 'Free Trail' period may just swing them over to paying the extra.
    I think eventually the current various versions of single Tuner STB's will also be replaced, either ad hoc when a current STB fails or would they do a total replacement as happened with the original Pace STB's, only time will tell.
    I am rather curious how those Multi Dwellings (High rises etc) places that because of the cabling, cant have access to the full channel allocation, will they upgrade and who will pay ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Oh okay. It is doable then. But with it not being an increase in quality but just to enable me to record I might avoid doing it! As foxtel do charge an extra $10 on top for the iQSD box, taking it to $25 for the box per month.

I might just get the extra Standard box though ($15 per month). That would mean I would not have to modify my current setup!

Also, with new installs of foxtel, obviously the main box will have the iQ with two cable connection. When you ask for a multi room with the Standard box, I'm guessing they just install one coax point in the wall ?
    Last edited by daniel000; 20-04-14 at 03:30 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Oh okay. It is doable then. But with it not being an increase in quality but just to enable me to record I might avoid doing it! As foxtel do charge an extra $10 on top for the iQSD box, taking it to $25 for the box per month.

I might just get the extra Standard box though ($15 per month). That would mean I would not have to modify my current setup!

Also, with new installs of foxtel, obviously the main box will have the iQ with two cable connection. When you ask for a multi room with the Standard box, I'm guessing they just install one coax point in the wall ?
    Mate... you're not listening.

With iQ you NEED both connections from a dual LNB to work reliably...... nothing to do with being able to record (unless you mean recording/watching programs simultaneously).

You fluked it getting it to work on a single cable... THIS time..... don't 'expect' an iQ satellite box to work on a single cable.

Most new Foxtel installs are all double outlet, so an iQ can be plugged in.

If in doubt, ask Foxtel.

OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Mate... you're not listening.

With iQ you NEED both connections from a dual LNB to work reliably...... nothing to do with being able to record (unless you mean recording/watching programs simultaneously).

You fluked it getting it to work on a single cable... THIS time..... don't 'expect' an iQ satellite box to work on a single cable.

Most new Foxtel installs are all double outlet, so an iQ can be plugged in.

If in doubt, ask Foxtel.
    Yes, sorry by record I meant record and watch. So what I'm trying to say is, if I can get the Standard box from foxtel as the multi room ($15 extra a month), this will work with my current setup ( 1 outlet from the wall )

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, a standard box will work with one wall outlet

An iQ box requires a dual LNB and two wall outlets.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

daniel000 (21-04-14),OSIRUS (20-04-14)

Thanks

Hey again! I'm trying to get a box with hdmi out but with the standard box not having it, do you think the following will work ?

If we were to get the iQSD box and ask foxtel to disable the iQ on the box and use it just as a standard box, do you think there would only need to be one coax cable going to the box? As the iQ features have been disabled?

Administrator
    Thanks

Mate, you're going around in circles with this.

It's all been covered.

The way I see it....... you have two options.

Get a genuine sub yourself and Foxtel will install what you need... OR... if you still want to use an iQ decoder supplied from someone elses multiroom package.... install the dual LNB and additional cable.

tristen (24-04-14)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123