Thread: Graphene

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Graphene

Graphene, have you heard of it, did you read page 30 of The Good Weekender, a Fairfax supplement, if like some here you avoid reading the Moaist Times because it does not match your doctrine then you may be unaware of what it is
    Known to exist as a product of graphite, it was only discovered how to separate it in 2004, since then research has gone ballistic, it cannot be seen by the naked eye in single sheet form as it is only an atom thick, its carbon atoms arranged in perfect honey comb pattern, so dense that the smallest gas atom cannot penetrate
    Examples it can be used in are
    Transparent super thin flexible screens, batteries that charge in seconds,smaller faster computer chips, reinforcing (as it is super strong)
    'There will be uses for this material that will blow us away" quote Cathy Foley chief of CSIRO Materials Science
    A recent article that made me aware of graphene

Also i have read old editions of Practical Mechanics and if half their articles came true then the world would be a different place
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Onefella (19-01-14),Tiny (19-01-14),tristen (19-01-14),weirdo (19-01-14)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

More reading for those interested
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Dont forget Popular Science and Popular Mechanics with their 'take' on the matters of the era and the forecasts they made on the 'World of Tomorrow'.
    I did have a copy of one of those printed for November 1942(my birth year) and the USA was by then in full War mode and it was interesting to go back to pre war days to get a feel of the attitude of then and how it changed post December, 1941.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    it cannot be seen by the naked eye in single sheet form as it is only an atom thick, its carbon atoms arranged in perfect honey comb pattern, so dense that the smallest gas atom cannot penetrate
    A 3D counterpart to Graphene appears even more promising. A natural substance, sodium bismuthate that takes on the state of a three-dimensional topological Dirac semi-metal (3DTDS):

...and It would be simpler to manufacture than single atom thick 2D Graphene structures
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-01-14 at 08:33 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-01-14),Onefella (19-01-14),Tiny (20-01-14)