Thread: Domestic closed loop evaporative cooling

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Default Domestic closed loop evaporative cooling

Does anybody know if there are closed loop evaporative coolers for home use commercially available or do I have to invent/design/build one?

I am talking about an 'swampie' system that does not increase the humidity of the air in your house by using a thermal transfer system.

Also I noted in another thread that swampies are installed on rooftops, exposed to the sun. I would have thought it would be better to keep them cool, i.e. on a south side shaded wall but maybe the heat from the sun makes them evaporate quicker and increase efficiency?
    Can anybody from the trade or experience explain please?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I am neither fridgie, nor expert, but would not a "closed loop" system just increase humidity as swampies cool by evaporation, thus, increasing humidity. In a humid environment they become less efficient, so, by working in a closed loop, surely they would become less efficient. I do agree with the rationale that shade might make a difference, but have little experience to either confirm or deny that. Over the last few days with our ducted swampie running, there was an approx 16deg difference between inside and outside i.e 44C on the verandah in the shade to 28C in the kitchen.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Or you could build a Swampie, in a Swampie and have a 2 Stage Cooling system

Dry Bulb, Wet Bulb, Dew Point etc.... There is only so much you can achieve from evaporative cooling on a given day, physics has its ceiling, and is where mechanical refrigeration takes over is you require further cooling.
    Swampies are all about air flow, the faster the moving air at the head unit the better, hence on the roof is probably better than under your house

Thanks

There is a system that uses thermal transfer so the air is cooled but no added humidity. See We are looking into it for our new building at work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ssrattus For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (20-01-14)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    There is a system that uses thermal transfer so the air is cooled but no added humidity. See We are looking into it for our new building at work.
    Yes, that would be what I am talking about but it does not seem to be for domestic use and probably way out of my budget including transport/import issues...but now I know about the Maisotsenko Cycle

Isemmens, that is fantastic performance. Do you know what humidity range were you experiencing (outside and in)?

Ocean, from some evaporation experiments I found having it in the sun is very inefficient.

My experiments showed a drop of the aluminium I was cooling from 30C to 24C at 60% humidity outside in the shady south, not great but maybe still somewhat usable.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yes nomeat, there are covers you can get for some Evaps, to protect them from direct sunlight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Location is Paramount.

We've been down this track before.

The criteria for efficiency is humidity, the lower ambient humidity, the better.
    Notoriously inefficient around the coastal regions, while quite acceptable for the outback.

This is a fact of Physics and not open to conjecture or hearsay.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    I know someone that cycles their air through the ground for their house cooling!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

LSemmens
    Thanks

Sorry, nomeat, didn't check RH when I looked at the thermometers. I could have done so as I have a multimeter that does Temp and RH. I was using it to test some dash lights whilst I had my car apart (fixing blower fault, so had the dash stripped) and, as it was more than one or two, I took them all inside and sat down with a brew to "do the deed" The aircond was on at the time and RH in the lounge room was around 39%, not sure what it was outside, didn't check. I live inland so humidity is not a huge problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (21-01-14)

Thanks

I understand this is a fairly old thread but this info might be of some assistance. I use a similar system to the collorado which has been in use since 1993. we are about 100k west of the coast. Except for the electronics ie fan speed control & reverse direction of the fan everything is as it was fitted. In 2001 the control circuitry blew up and as usual the (WA) company had gone bust. The number turned out to be an X employee who painstakingly explained how to get the head to work at full speed only. I fitted some X10 switching and replaced the circulating pump when it rusted away. We give the pads a clean every year and no other maintenance. The air in is divided in half with the waste air going in to the ceiling cavity and blown out the end of (my gun barrel house). The remaining air is passed over the cool chamber through another set of pads through a dropper and out to 300mm ducts (8). At most times the house is at least 15 deg cooler than the ambient. There are some (about 5) days a year when the cooler is only a few degrees cooler than outside BUT it is still comfortable inside. The blower fan & pump motor draw a modest 700W. Also to be noted is you do need air flow to outside to keep the house from becoming a suna, however, a bit of playing around with open doors & windows will ensure maximum cooling in the most required areas about the house. We exhaust the air through a shade cloth out door living area for added comfort.
    Hope you find this useful.
    Regards,

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    We've been down this track before.

The criteria for efficiency is humidity, the lower ambient humidity, the better.
    Notoriously inefficient around the coastal regions, while quite acceptable for the outback.

This is a fact of Physics and not open to conjecture or hearsay.

As B4Life says, this depends entirely on where you live for the most suitable form of cooling, anywhere along the coast that stays under a 1000 metres or where theres no land rise, 50 kms inland you can use most types of Air Conditioning but once you climb over the 1000 metres or get further inland , then evaporative coolers come into their own.
    Because most Air Conditions inherently dehumidify the air by their design, it can cause some to experience a dry throat or even respiratory problems so moisture may need to be added.
    A neighbour has a roof mounted evaporative cooler which works brilliantly but when its going, most of the doors swell up and wont close because its adding moisture into the air.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

beer4life (03-02-14)

Thanks

Swamp coolers are loosing popularity in the US. The never work well in humidity, and they tend to use a bunch of water. The state I live in rests in the middle of the desert. Local policy makers are considering passing laws to ban swamp coolers because of the water usage. They are offering a credit for people switching to refrigerate air installation.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I was researching water usage of our swampie and came across . Makes for some interesting reading.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (04-02-14)

Thanks

Thanks Isemmens, the article was a good read and answered some questions on efficiency of the units. Over the past few years my unit seems to be a bit lazy (although the temp logs dispute that). The pads are now 24 years old and the dump valve failed in 1994 without being able to find an equivalent so was disabled. We are on tank water so salt & dust until recently probably didn't have a large bearing on the unit capacity, however, over the past 5 or so years we are now neighbor to a coal mine (less than 1000mtr to the pit) which will change things considerably with the advent of more activity.
    Thanks again,
    Regards,