Thread: DVD+ Ultraviolet is what?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default DVD+ Ultraviolet is what?

Ok, so I have been living in a vacuum regarding technical changes in the formats used for DVD recording so when I was lent the new release of 'WhiteHouse Down' I see across the jacket is the bold heading of 'DVD+ULTRAVIOLET'
    I put it into the Blueray player that hasnt been used for so long which is another story, I played the movie.
    The player is hooked to an aging 7 channel amp via Optical fibre and away the movie played accompanied by all the special effects.

Except for a redemption certificate inside the front cover and small sticker on the bottom front telling me this is 'The new Digital way to watch & collect movies & TV shows' there's no other information.

I know 3D seems to have fallen off the planet but what ever happened to Blueray, is it now 'Passe' in the big scheme of things?
    And while I have no intention of trying to 'burn' my own copy, does this require a different technique?
    What did amaze was the fact I didnt have to run out and buy another player to see the movie.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-01-14 at 01:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its basically an online storage locker where you can access any movies that you have purchased. Its not really big at the moment but they are starting to plug it a bit more and it may become a bit more mainstream.

I cant really tell you too much more as I personally havent dealt with it much even though I do have an account and have had it for about a year I think.

Their site probably tells more than I can.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-01-14)

Thanks

Are Blu Ray players not big in the rest of the world? Traditional DVDs are close to extinct in the states; which is good for me, because I get movies cheap now. The ill fated HDDVD didn't last very long here. Blu Ray took over the market, and pretty much put everything else out of business.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Ennis For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-01-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

DVD's and players are still use here from what I have seen in the shops.
    Some like Disney include a DVD and Blueray together for their major releases.
    I have noticed more releases like current and some old TV series are now available in Blueray as well as DVD.

Our internet service in Australia is currently way behind other countries except in a few areas for speed and capability at present and we are waiting for the new Government to announce the future of the previous Governments National Broadband Network which is currently 'on hold'.

As part of this Ultraviolet used 'Cloud' and other forms of 'streaming', I wont be able to viably access it at the present time.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I find that Blu-Ray discs generally come with another option, for whatever reason-- whether DVD + Blu Ray or Blu Ray + Ultraviolet or Blu-Ray + DVD + Ultraviolet. I've always liked the idea of having my movies on Ultraviolet (especially while I'm away at school) but I actually always forget to do the Ultraviolet when I buy the disc, and then by the time I actually get around to it, I often find that the ultraviolet code has expired. It's quite frustrating, and I don't think I've ever successfully done it. However, I recently purchased the Season 1 set of Arrow which, for whatever reason was Blu Ray + DVD + Ultraviolet. I've been having trouble streaming the show Netflix from my Kindle Fire on school wireless internet-- would I have more luck with Ultraviolet? Does it allow downloads, or is it only cloud storage streaming?

Premium Member

Thanks

Have a look at the link in Admin's reply, it covers most of what you ask.

One think I couldnt make sense of was in that link where it said you could play back material on other devises without using the internet, errr how??
    I have a 'library' of around 300 DVD's of movies of past years I wanted to collect and keep so when something new was released that interested me I would hire it because once I had seen it, I saw no value in keeping it and certainly not paying up to $30 for it when after a period, they drop in value to virtualy nothing.

I first thought Ultraviolet was some sort of updated DVD technology with enhanced Video and Audio etc , not just another means of marketing movies.

Thanks

We recently purchased a zero region Blu Ray player. Let me tell you something, it's one of the best purchases we have ever made. There are times we buy DVDs from Australia; and the price and shipping, is cheaper than getting them here in the states. Maybe that has something to do with Hollywood licensing rights?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Ennis View Post
    We recently purchased a zero region Blu Ray player. Let me tell you something, it's one of the best purchases we have ever made. There are times we buy DVDs from Australia; and the price and shipping, is cheaper than getting them here in the states. Maybe that has something to do with Hollywood licensing rights?
    Wow that's got to be a first, I look at the prices you pay for most stuff over there & drool.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Wow that's got to be a first, I look at the prices you pay for most stuff over there & drool.
    Perhaps it's just the fact we are looking for rarer movies. New movies may very well be more expensive there; you'll have to tell me. More "collectible" movies don't seem to have as much value there. I can't remember the movie; but we found one that was 198 dollars, for 6 dollars in Australia.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Ennis For This Useful Post:

Tiny (27-01-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

Conversely, to buy 2 'Collectables' I wanted of Movies that were originally filmed in Australia, I had to buy one from the USA and the other from the UK and I paid around US$30 each for them including postage.
    The other annoying factor was both were in different Region codes but fortunately all my DVD players are either 'Region Free' or been 'unlocked' so I can play them.
    Playing 'Region Free' DVD's on a Computer can be a bit problematical as some have written their software so that if any attempt is made to remove the Region Code it can corrupt the files and render the player useless but I found that if an external DVD player was connected to the Computer, it bypassed the Region code.
    In NZ, all players by Law must be sold Region Free and the same was to apply here but many retailers and the User manuals tell you their not Region Free so until you try them, your never sure but often they can be made 'Region Free' by getting the code from a website called Videohelp.com.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Playing 'Region Free' DVD's on a Computer can be a bit problematical as some have written their software so that if any attempt is made to remove the Region Code it can corrupt the files and render the player useless but I found that if an external DVD player was connected to the Computer, it bypassed the Region code.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with this. There really are two ways to remove DVD region code from protected DVDs, which don't corrupt anything.

» Method 1: Copy your DVD disk

To remove DVD region code, you can back up your region code protected DVD disc to a blank DVD disc bypassing the DVD region code. To accomplish this task, you can use Aimersoft's "DVD Copy". It will help you copy and backup commercial DVD movies to DVD disc in 1:1 ratio. You can also save the DVD movie to your hard drive as DVD Folder or ISO image file. After the backup, you can play the DVD on any DVD player. In this way, you have removed DVD region code from the commercial DVD discs.

» Method 2: Rip DVD to videos

Another way to make the DVD region free is to rip the DVD region protected DVDs to popular video formats so that you can play them on any media players, including iPhone 4S, iPad, iPod, etc. To rip encrypted DVD, you can use Aimersoft's best Windows (Including Windows 8) "DVD ripper". It can help you crack the region code and CSS protection and convert DVD to popular video and audio formats, such as AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, WAV, etc. In this way, you can play your favorite DVD movies anywhere you like. Besides, this DVD ripper comes with a built-in video editor, which enables you to crop, rotate, trim videos, etc.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats well and good IF you can first copy the disk but in this case I was referring to a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that warns that any attempt to remove the Region code COULD irreversibly fail the DVD unit completely.
    It was the program required to burn and remove the Region code that was the problem when you installed it as the computer's burning program wont remove region coding and you can only alter the DVD region play 4 times before it locks permantely
    Seeing the Toshiba was then brand new, I certainly wasnt about to see if the warnings were true or not and I am still not prepared to see if the warning is correct!!
    Even now my current Desktop will play Region Free as did all those I had before.
    Videohelp and other Forums all noted this problem regarding this model Toshiba and warned the user that although there were programs available to remove the Region Lock, they could cause the drive to fail.
    It also warned that if the drive did fail, replacing would not work either to even allow it to play or record any DVD's.

Like everyone I have burnt/ripped/copied DVD's using DVDshrink with few failures but I was more interested in playing/copying out of region disks I have bought because I cant replace them if they stop playing for any reason.

Like the Centuries Old Mrs Beatson's cookbook says to make a Rabbit Pie, first you must catch the Rabbit........or in this case, copy the DVD !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I find the fact that a region locked DVD can be rendered unplayable if you attempt to copy it rather difficult to believe unless you do something stupid. Is there software on the DVD that says, "activate the DVD burner and fry the disk" if you try to copy it? I've not found one, yet! If you are really worried, what about using a DVD reader? I understand the region locking issue with a drive and this can be problematic. That's where the likes of DVD shrink come into their own. With the cost of DVD burners these days, you can afford to have one drive for each region and use that only for disks from that region.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (29-01-14)