Thread: Was Ocarina of Time really that good?

Thanks

Default Was Ocarina of Time really that good?

You know what guys? after more than a decade, I'm still wondering why, why did Ocarina of Time receive such high ratings? I have played the game before. I tried it for about an hour. Then I gave up. The game has a friggin awful story! I couldn't really get into the game because it was like playing a cartoon game specifically tailored for a child.

What makes Ocarina of Time a great game?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I didn't get an N64 until late in it's life cycle but when I did, I picked up a copy of the Ocarina of Time. Personally I loved it, because it gave the impression of being non-linear (even though it was really), I enjoyed the storyline and the characters and found the puzzles entertaining. But, I can't say the same about Majora's Mask. For some reason that game wasn't enjoyable to me, probably because of the going back to the dawn of the first day constantly.

Thanks

Nealbo, I'm on entirely the same page as you! I loved Ocarina of Time-- I received it when I was around 10 or 11 from a friend of my mom whose son was getting rid of his Nintendo 64. We got both games from them, and I really dove right into Ocarina of Time but then when I tried Majora's Mask I really just couldn't ever motivate myself to play it.

I think the story is appropriately cartoony-- it's nothing head-scratching, really, but an involved enough story that it made me want to keep playing and it made me very attached to the characters. More so than I almost ever experience with video games.

Thanks

Hmm, perhaps I was a bit too late in playing Ocarina of Time. I played the game after I played a lot of Final Fantasies, a bit of Chrono Cross on the side, and a bit of Legend of Dragoon on another. The story of Ocarina of Time this didn't impress me one bit. I do agree that the graphics were pretty good at the time especially when compared to that of the games available on the PS1. That's what drew me to try the game. I got bored quickly though.

Thanks

Same here, as the above post said, I'm also late to play the Ocarina of Time, which I have been thinking about playing it for a while. The problem is that I can't play any Zelda if I don't have a walkthrough guide, which I normally use the guide to get through the game because there's no way I can beat the game without using one. I have heard Ocarina of Time was one of the popular Zelda games back in the day, and I would probably play it if I still have the system. It's good that you mention a game in which I have been wanting to play for a long time.

Thanks

Yeah, I think that's what was best about it was that it served as a great bridge for kids of the right age to go from button-mashing action games to something a bit more strategy-based. That's what Zelda games have always done well, in my opinion, is to mash-up the beat-em-up and RPG genres. Either way, I suppose the game holds a special nostalgic place in my heart that it will never leave.