Thread: Camera not displaying image

Thanks

Default Camera not displaying image

I have 4 identical analog full body cameras on site. 3 are working as expected. They are UTP capable and I am using baluns at the DVR end. 2 cameras are positioned nearby with only one working properly. The camera that is not performing as required does not indicate it is getting power (24vac) but sends a signal to the DVR - just a black screen. DVR does not display no image on screen.
    I have changed camera over for another new unit and same problem exists. When I test the camera on shorter cable run camera performs as per normal.
    Any help would be great.
    If I have missed any info let me know.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Haven't you answered your own question?

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

DeanHenry (05-02-14),Godzilla (27-02-14),itscrowtime (08-02-14)

Thanks

Hi Dean how is it going?. Watchdog is right almost answered your own question, is the camera powered via balun or own power supply?. If it is powered through balun replace the balun, if it is powered of power supply check cable and power supply.

• The Following User Says Thank You to kiwitech For This Useful Post:

DeanHenry (05-02-14)

Thanks

Edited double post...please ignore.
    Last edited by DeanHenry; 05-02-14 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks

HI Guys,

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the same thing. The camera is powered directly from the supply by 2 pairs of the Cat5 cable. The baluns at the DVR end only provide video signal. The power supply I am using is 24VAC 2A which I think is more than adequate for the job at hand. Each camera draws 3W which I calculate to be approx. 200mA give or take.

I have run another Cat5 cable to the same location and have the same issue. All 4 cams are wired identically so it can't be a specific pair causing the issue from what I see.

I have disconnected the other 3 cams from the supply with no better result. I have tried a 12VDC 3A supply only to the problem cam with no better result.

I don't understand why 2 cams side by side following the same cable run, same cable length only one provides a clear image.

When running the new cable I made sure there were no kinks, strains or twists to cause any loss in signal. The run is 95m if this helps.

The camera power light does not light up but sends something to the DVR as there is no video loss signal at the DVR.

Any thoughts?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeanHenry View Post
    I have 4 identical analog full body cameras on site. 3 are working as expected. They are UTP capable and I am using baluns at the DVR end. 2 cameras are positioned nearby with only one working properly. The camera that is not performing as required does not indicate it is getting power (24vac) but sends a signal to the DVR - just a black screen. DVR does not display no image on screen.
    I have changed camera over for another new unit and same problem exists. When I test the camera on shorter cable run camera performs as per normal.
    Any help would be great.
    If I have missed any info let me know.
    So clearly it is not the camera at fault (as such ) but the transmission line either affecting the power feed or the signal feed. You need to determine which it is.
    First take a voltage reading AT the camera & with the camera still connected. 24Vac cameras are just 12Vdc cameras with an inbuilt 24Vac to 12Vdc power supply. 24Vac gives plenty of headroom for voltage drop to the camera so I wouldn't expect it to be a power problem due to the UTP. It could however be because of a fault with the inbuilt power supply. The black screen is usually an indication of receiving video sync but no video information. The sync level is only
    40 IRE units (0.2857V) whereas the composite video is 100 IRE (1V)
    However since a replacement camera suffers the same problem it is indicating against a camera fault. Doing that voltage measurement is your first step & go from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Swap the two cameras that are side by side. If the problem follows the camera, then there is your problem. If the swapped camera fails, then the problem lies in the transmission from point A to B.

Thanks

HI Guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner.
    I have tested the camera with power connected and am not getting any voltage at the camera. Disconnect the camera and 24VAC is present.
    It looks like I might have to run either fig8 or coax combo to see if this fixes the issue!

Banned
    Thanks

Change your 24Vac supply- it's dropping its bundle under load.

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

DeanHenry (22-02-14)

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I replaced the one cable run with coax and fig 8 to the problem camera and all is working fine now.

Thanks for your advice and input.