Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1345 outage

Banned
    Thanks

Default 1345 outage

Hi we were affected by the fibre link that was cut recently,

Our whole business was down because our 1300 and 1345 numbers were not able to make it across the border..

I don't particularly like having to answer 300+ calls because of these outages,
    a friend of mine was also affected further north, but I believe the whole state was down from 8am to 2pm.

This affected
    Optus- internet and mobiles, primus and 3..
    My provider company starts with G and ends in E was totally affected, no redundancy in place.

I was wondering if theres an alternative solution to my problem, that means that my providor has a redundancy plan in place.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

As I understand, it was a freak coincidence that Optus was doing an upgrade/service to the redundant network when the primary fibre was cut.

Why don't you adopt a redundancy plan on your end?

PSTN with one network, IP/GSM/GPRS with another. More than likely with two companies that have their own networks in place.

Banned
    Thanks

I was contemplating that, after talking with my friend about this, as he was affected by another outage regarding an issue with a router in an exchange, I didn't have anything with this provider then, but I am looking into it now,
    But at what cost do I have to implement redundancy at my end..

I don't have a control room, so don't have receivers, it also means another link in the chain that can go wrong if I have anything at my end...

I am looking deeper into it with my friend, hes pretty technically minded..

thanks for the advice..
    Last edited by Security-Tech; 23-07-08 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks

For redundancy you have two choices Security Communications or Suretek. Both provide GSM voice back up into the CMS. SCSI have the better product done in conjunction with Optus, all comms are routed to your CMS not through a third party such as Suretek.

Thanks

Just get Intelipath from suretek. We use two control rooms only one had intelipath and this week after the outage they both do. No signals missed from the first and they monitor all over Australia but mainly NSW. Way better than the gsm backup stuff.

I was speaking to a mate of mine who uses a QLD cms and they had no data for a few hours. Not good.

Thanks

Wow, so the cms that you use, had no redundancy in place, aka setups with telstra e.t.c ?
    Very interesting!

How does IntelliPath work ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitech View Post
    For redundancy you have two choices Security Communications or Suretek. Both provide GSM voice back up into the CMS. SCSI have the better product done in conjunction with Optus, all comms are routed to your CMS not through a third party such as Suretek.
    Dream on... You obviousley dont know about Intelipath. Suretek also have GSM backup but Suretek converted these to our voce and we now use intelipath. Sureteks system caters for 100% of the PSTN lines into the control room and for 100% of the receivers at the control room and Intelipath does not even need receivers. SCSI the receivers must operate to still work or it fails.

Third party !!! who gives a sh$t who it goes through when it fails you need a solution and suretek has the best and no one can deny that. Ask anyone that uses it and anyone that has been in the sh$t

And that reminds me , I dont use the scsi stuff but one of our cms do and the poll fails fill the screens but surepoll does not....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    Wow, so the cms that you use, had no redundancy in place, aka setups with telstra e.t.c ?
    Very interesting!

How does IntelliPath work ?
    its on there web site

it is good and also works for congestion. suretek sent some info a while ago but I can find it on my email. when I do I will post it

i am in there tomorrow so i will try and get the info cd and post it here

Thanks

So lets get this straight. In light of the recent outage - If I was a bureau with 100 monitored lines, 50 thru 13xx numbers and 50 thru regular Telstra number to the Monitoring Centre.....

Which of my customers would have been affected ?
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    So lets get this straight. In light of the recent outage - If I was a bureau with 100 monitored lines, 50 thru 13xx numbers and 50 thru regular Telstra number to the Monitoring Centre.....

Which of my customers would have been affected ?
    From my understanding it was Optus Mobile, Internet and Telephone that was down due to the cut fibre. I don't think Telstra was affected.

Thanks

Oh OK. So 13xx numbers thru Telstra would have been unaffected.

Anyway, it just goes to show that even the most unlikely event can happen - even with PSTN.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

I don't think it is so much the 13xx numbers themselves, it is the actual network the device is attached to. Dialers on Optus Direct lines most probably suffered especially the ones that were monitored by a CMS in NSW.

So at the end of the day, the CMS redundancy isn't the issue, if the customer is on a particular network theres not much the CMS can do about it. It's up to the installer to provide the paths back to the CMS and if the installer chooses to use one carrier for all their paths, then theres little that can be done in a catastrophic event as witnessed a few weeks ago.

Banned
    Thanks

Thats correct George

I hear Telstra was unaffected,

I was looking at doing what my mate is going to do,

Put in some pstn lines to our office, then divert them to the cms landline number..
    and or have 1/2 our 1345 with suretek and the other with globe...
    Then have 2 numbers, one for primary and one secondary, that way the panel will go through the first one say Suretek, and the secondary will go through globe, and split them half/half in my clients panels so it evens out, but gives us two networks (telstra and primus). I had never heard of Suretek till now, but they do seem keen on working with the industry and quite a few control rooms utilize their services.

It is a concern, globe said they'd put gsm into our cms for us, but I believe from testing we have performed, GSM isnt the best communication method for alarm diallers, specially some of the old gear we monitor/service.
    I'm seriously looking into what Suretek have to offer, this intellipath seems to be the answer, it has to be a smart device if it doesn't require receivers..

I believe that one CMS on the west side was affected when its voice over dsl was taken out by the outage, they are with optus I'm told, it created havoc...

add: I think its important for the control room to have redundancy, but mainly the provider to provide a direct path to the monitoring station.
    Last edited by Security-Tech; 24-07-08 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add:

Thanks

If you are in Sydney as your name suggests like mine, then I suggest you call into suretek at wetherill park. You will be blown away by the huge facility thay have out there all dedicated for control rooms and installation companies. They can demo intelipath and gsm and a lot more to you. Once you go there you wont go anywhere else.

speak to Glenn or Luke tell them Mick sent you. 1300654433

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneytech View Post
    Dream on... You obviousley dont know about Intelipath. Suretek also have GSM backup but Suretek converted these to our voce and we now use intelipath. Sureteks system caters for 100% of the PSTN lines into the control room and for 100% of the receivers at the control room and Intelipath does not even need receivers. SCSI the receivers must operate to still work or it fails.

Third party !!! who gives a sh$t who it goes through when it fails you need a solution and suretek has the best and no one can deny that. Ask anyone that uses it and anyone that has been in the sh$t

And that reminds me , I dont use the scsi stuff but one of our cms do and the poll fails fill the screens but surepoll does not....
    Sydneytech...I could not give a shit what he uses, he asked a question I gave him his options. I am sure he can make up his own mind.
    I think you are a clown. If a telco loses a fibre link then you lose all services until it is repaired. In this case no redundancy would work SCSI or Suretek unless it is with another network (Telstra) or you have a satelite dish sitting on the CMS roof with up\down link to connect the CMS back into the telco network. Even then you would still get no comms from GSM\GPRS products on Optus. This CMS satelite scenario is highly unlikely as it is a very expensive option.

Think about it what connects the GSM towers to the network, the fibre link. Unless the tower is extremerly rural then the tower will be connected via satelite link. What is surprising with the whole scenario is that Optus did not have a back up fibre link in that part of QLD. Some of you may remember back about 4-5 years ago Optus lost both fibre links between Sydney and Melbourne now that was a nightmare with the whole of Aussie effected.
    Last edited by kiwitech; 24-07-08 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

My two cents worth, Ohh wait thats right Labours in power better say bucks worth!

All grade 1A controlroom have redundancy paths, either using SCSI, Intellipath or other, hence the grading. The Ideal solution that installation companies should set up is having 13xx services with more than one telco provider as stated before, one programmed primary the other secondary.
    We have recently seen when this fibre link fail a loss in communications to many clients, i am glad to say we were not affected.

I would be asking your controlroom more questions than those stated here.
    For example, whilst using numerous telco's provide dual paths in case one has a serious problem has stated here.
    That is all well and good until it gets to the controlroom. If your control room doesnt have spare receivers, spare line cards, spare modems (not checked when graded) all supervised by pinging out (not checked when graded) and in house I.T engineers then the rest of these arguments are mute as the service can still fail. At the end of the day whilst there are numerous options available today there is still only two mediums of communcation, physical and wireless. You cut a fibre cable whether your using PSTN, ADSL, ethernet etc they will all fail. At the same time jam the wireless communication then you have a major problem.

Thanks

If you were not monitoring customers in Queensland on the Optus network, then you would know nothing about the outage. Guess it shows nothing is bullet proof when networks lose a critical piece of infrastucture things quickly go to the shit no matter what back ups you have in place.
    Last edited by kiwitech; 24-07-08 at 11:06 PM. Reason: grammer

Thanks

Sounds like a scuzzy vs surtech pissing contest again.

Thanks

bbs...think what you like I speak on my behalf know one else's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitech View Post
    bbs...think what you like I speak on my behalf know one else's.
    No doubt you are a big boy and can think all by your self. I said......
    Sounds like a scuzzy vs surtech pissing contest again.
    I did not say it was

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast