Thread: Is Kindle as good as a tablet?

Thanks

Default Is Kindle as good as a tablet?

I'm looking to buy a Kindle, which I wonder if I can use it as a tablet because u know it is mainly used for reading. Can you do the same thing like on a tablet such as browsing internet, checking e-mails, playing games, watching movies, and using some apps? Should I go for a tablet or is Kindle just as good as a tablet like the Samsung tablets or iPads?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Kindle is a monochrome screen for reading...thats it...but if you read a lot it is a very easy screen to read as it has e-ink. Like a book, it is easier to read the more light there is.

If you only read occasionally, get a tablet and enjoy all the other things it does.

If you read a lot, get a kindle..I got the paperwhite one with backlit screen for clearer text and ability to read in no/low light.

Kindle Fire is just a tablet with the kindle name on it.
    Last edited by mandc; 06-02-14 at 10:45 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (06-02-14)

Thanks

I would go for a tablet any time. Kindles have limited functionality as compared to tablets. It is better to buy something that will work on so many levels other than just reading. But if you want for reading, you can as well as buy the kindle.

Thanks

Kindle has a crappy browser so internet surfing is a pain. If you need all the tablet functionality and want to read ebooks as an add on buy yourself a tablet.
    As others already said - Kindle is good for reading only plus offers a very good battery life which is very handy for holiday trips.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

If a "Kindle", then a "Kindle Fire HD-Tablet".

Thanks

I have both a Kindle keyboard model (had that for a few years) and a Nexus7 tablet (recent purchase). I use both.

The kindle is the better of them for reading, at least for me. I get no eye strain with it where I do when reading for more than about a half hour on the Nexus7. The Kindle is also very easy on battery life, lasting about a month or so between charges. This makes is better for some places, especially traveling. The Kindle does not display illustrations well at all so some stuff I read on the Nexus7.

The nexus7 does heaps of other stuff, so reading on it is only 10% of its function. The Nexus7 has the best screen of any tablet at the moment and is great for movies etc.

The Kindle can take files loaded from the computer as long as they are mobi files. ePub and pdf files go to the Nexus, but Calibre software can convert them so this point is not of major importance.

The Kindle keyboard models have a basic web browser built in but it's pretty useless because of the screen resolution limitations. I don't think it's on the newer Paperwhite models. So forget the e-ink screens for web browsing, emails etc.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have an original Kindle wifi which is excellent for b&w reading and has great battery life due to the lack of backlighting so it really only takes battery power when turning pages (or the wifi is enabled). It has an 'experimental' simple browser but these units are best for just reading ebooks and downloading books from Amazon which has an impressive library to choose from at very attractive prices.

I also have the 'Fire HD' Kindle which is just a colour Android tablet with a thirst for battery power but a good point is that it shares the same library of books as any other Kindle device you have registered to the same user name. IE download an ebook on one device and it'll be available from the cloud for the other device(s) as well. The Fire HD plays movies etc quite well if you're into viewing them on a 7" screen (there is a HDMI output but forget about lugging a large monitor around - it defeats the purpose of a portable device) and the full range of Android apps are at your disposal, it also has bluetooth so you can use a cheap bluetooth keyboard with it if your fingers are too big for the screen keyboard and you find a stylus a clumsy compromise.

If you really want a powerful tablet for intensive processing there are far better tablets around (at far higher prices) but I refer all such 'power' use like recoding video etc to my desktop PC.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 11-04-14 at 12:11 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pandandesign View Post
    I'm looking to buy a Kindle, which I wonder if I can use it as a tablet because u know it is mainly used for reading. Can you do the same thing like on a tablet such as browsing internet, checking e-mails, playing games, watching movies, and using some apps? Should I go for a tablet or is Kindle just as good as a tablet like the Samsung tablets or iPads?
    Go for it Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

In terms of readin nothing beats these E-ink readers.
    Extreme contrast even in low light or direct sunlight, unlike normal screens they don't even need a backlight unless you want to read in total darkness.
    I found that even a small lamp in the room is enough for good reading on those.
    The one I got is text only, so no good for fancy pictures or nice colors, but I manage to get through 3 good sized books before it needs a charge.
    Combined devices with touchscreen and internet just can't compete with this battery performance, same if you try to use a pure ebook reader to surf the net or play games.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Which is right for you?

If you own iphone then i recommend iPad mini. Having Kindle (Kindle Fire on the OP) is like starting from scratch when it comes to apps.

If you own android or windows phone you can get Kindle Fire it will suit you fine. But by using these devices you are asserting and want something more customisable and more techy and you'll save money.

If you want it to use it for games, no question i'll go for ipad mini. Most of the best games on mobile runs on iOS.

If you're like a "media hound" then go for Kindle Fire, it's built with Amazon's media. Kindle Fire uses Fire OS, Netflix is also on the Fire. From Kindle to Instant video to Amazon mp3, Amazon's media is built into the core of Fire OS. So if you love media that much go for Kindle Fire.