Thread: What is the difference between html and css?

Thanks

Default What is the difference between html and css?

I want to know when you make a website, what format do you use? Is it HTML or CSS or is it something else? I usually use CSS because I have found it is very easy to use, plus I think you can actually create the site right off the online serve without having to do it offline. What is the difference between HTML and CSS? Which format do you use?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

HTML or HyperText Markup Language is the main markup language for creating web pages and other information that can be displayed in a web browser.

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the look and formatting of a document written in a markup language

Basically HTML is the language you use to write your web page, & CCS adds the styes & formating to each web page (from another page ...if you will)

But there are lots of ways you can make a Webpage ....you just have to learn the way you want to do it

I think you can make a webpage from a word document ....

HTML coding

Adobe Dreamweaver

WordPress

Joomla

Drupal (if its still about)

Artisteer

also other coding like php etc ....

also online tools & sites to create webpages sometimes comes with a web hosting site/package...... (I have not used these)

etc ......

just to name a few
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 10-02-14 at 06:36 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-12-16),tristen (10-02-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pandandesign View Post
    I want to know when you make a website, what format do you use? Is it HTML or CSS or is it something else? I usually use CSS because I have found it is very easy to use, plus I think you can actually create the site right off the online serve without having to do it offline. What is the difference between HTML and CSS? Which format do you use?
    Here you go lad practise on this

Chieflets

Thanks

HTML is used to assign structure to content. CSS is used to control the visual appearance of that content in a web browser. You cannot create a web page entirely in CSS, there needs to be some HTML as well for the CSS to be applied to.

Think of it this way, if you just typed a bunch of words and sentences into Notepad, that would be your "content". Now, if you start wrapping some of those words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs with HTML tags, then you just used HTML to give that content some "structure". If that code were to be viewed in a web browser, it would apply some default visual effects to the content when rendering it within the browser window. So if you wrapped some H2 tags around a given string of words, those words would be rendered in large bold font, and on their own line. That is because by adding those H2 tags, you told the browser (and anything else out there that can understand HTML) that those words are a "Header" that essentially summarize the content that comes immediately after them. If you wrapped some other phrases in H3 tags further down in the content, that would make those bigger and bolder as well by default, and treat them as a "Header" as well, though of lesser importance than the H2 one.

With CSS, you can then give the visual appearance of this content more style and zing. The CSS code is basically tacked on to the HTML code, as well as stored in the header of the document or in a separate file. It's basically a big "script" of sorts of how you want all the elements on the page to appear. Then you go to each of those page elements and assign them styles as you please, by including their code into that element's HTML.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

gives you a good grounding in CSS, they also have stuff on HTML and other stuff, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i hate code
    if i cant do it in wordpress
    i just hire raja from freelancers.com to do it
    but they tend to be code mad that ends up a nightmare as wordpress you really dont need to know anything to make it work
    yes you can actually use word to save files as htm but google will just laugh at you
    dreamweaver? well i think it needs to retire like frontpage
    theres wix.com for 5 yr olds
    or learn wordpress, if you can read, you can do it
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Normally HTML is used to create the format or the structure of the site that you want to appear on the browser, while CSS handles more on the designing part like putting colors to your text or styling the contents of the website. CSS helps your html file look clean by separating the designing part from the structural part(which is the HTML) of the website and it is an effective way of giving creativity to your website, because you will be able to customized the design part.

Thanks

HTML provides the logical structure of the page behind the scenes such as defining headings, blocks of text, hyperlinks, images, etc. CSS is used in the visual design of the page and can be used to set colours, fonts, sizes, position on the page, etc.

You can create a website without CSS however it would be a very bland and basic web page.

Background: 10 years web design and development.

Thanks

Haven't done any webdev in a whilst but I use CSS for 96% of my layout, colourings, fonts etc and then HTML within PHP when coding up something.

Thanks

If you're not create with coding and want to do web dev, I highly suggest you start off a platform such as WordPress or Open-cart.

CSS/HTML may seem daunting but its relatively simple and it's doable, trust me.. I've self taught myself that within a year and have built multiple eCommerce websites.

Slowly learn how to set it up, upload themes, plugins, change settings, mess around with html/css to get your designed look/function. Google is your teacher. Trial and error is how you learn.

HTML provides the logical structure of the page behind the scenes such as defining headings, blocks of text, hyperlinks, images, etc. CSS is used in the visual design of the page and can be used to set colours, fonts, sizes, position on the page, etc.
    What he said ^

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Considering this thread was started over 2 years ago and the OP hasn't visited the site since... thread closed.