Thread: Are All Satellite STBs Compatible?

Thanks

Default Are All Satellite STBs Compatible?

Hi, do all the satellite TV set top boxes conform to the same standards? In other words, can I simply buy a STB to replace a failed one (assuming the channels are not encrypted)?

My father has a satellite TV setup, mainly for 2-3 Buddhist channels. So I guess they are not encrypted. Unfortunately the set top box has stopped working. We contacted the original installer, who was unable to deal with failed STBs, but referred us to another person. But since then we have just been referred to one person after another. We are still waiting for the last person to get back to us.

I am wondering if I can simply buy a replacement STB as long as it says DVB-S(2) and reconnect it ourselves?

The current box has the writings "SatKing 550-S2" on the front. I can find this brand name on the web but not this particular model.

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks

Providing you have a paid subscription card and or you are viewing free to air transmissions.

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

netslicer (11-02-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

I wouldn't 'assume' anything... eg: not encrypted.

You need to be certain what service/channels he has been receiving and if there is any special requirements to receive them. Eg: (as mentioned) subscription card, and if yes, what type of card/decoder is required.

If they are completely FTA unencrypted channels, then any satellite decoder of the same type (eg: DVB-S2) will most likely work, but it will need to be programed for the particular satellite/transponder/channels, as they are not just 'plug 'n' play.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-02-14),netslicer (11-02-14),OSIRUS (09-03-14),Tiny (10-02-14),tristen (10-02-14)

Thanks

Default Replacement boxes.

Hi My Strong SRT 4668 box from caravan has given up the ghost.
    What is a later model box suitable for FTA usage in house and van.

That box got me all the channels after VAST came out. Even though people said I would need a "VAST"? box.
    We're in Central QLD.

I have the Telstra Sat card. (Original) will it still work. It'd be 10 yrs old now near enuff.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macka17 View Post

That box got me all the channels after VAST came out. Even though people said I would need a "VAST"? box.
    We're in Central QLD.

I have the Telstra Sat card. (Original) will it still work. It'd be 10 yrs old now near enuff.
    You sure the original Aurora box got VAST channels?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macka17 View Post

We're in Central QLD.

What exactly is a 'Telstra Sat card'?

If by chance you mean Optus Aurora, the answer is no, as that service has ceased operation as of December 2013 and you will now need to buy a VAST decoder.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    You sure the original Aurora box got VAST channels?
    viewer,

I think what he means is he was told he would need to upgrade to a VAST box, but his Aurora card still worked at the same time when VAST started, which it would have done, but of course now, Aurora has ended, so he would now need to get a VAST box.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Netslicer specifically mentions a caravan which infers to me he is a 'Traveller' in which case, while chanting nautically, 'Its a VAST we must go me hearties, Yo Ho , Yo HO !!!

Seeing Aurora switched off at the end of December, either netslicer has been watching the Test pattern or the stb has been sitting unused until it was turned on and because there are no channels, its 'Given up the Ghost' where it really still works perfectly except there are no channels there for it to receive.
    I am guessing that although he says he is in 'Central Queensland' he has a Terrestrial TV service other wise he would be aware of VAST as he would need it there to receive TV ' in the house'.

Unfortunately neither his 'Telstra' card or the Strong STB in working order or not are now just ornaments to be used as boat anchors or a wedge under the wheel of the Caravan.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    viewer,

I think what he means is he was told he would need to upgrade to a VAST box, but his Aurora card still worked at the same time when VAST started, which it would have done, but of course now, Aurora has ended, so he would now need to get a VAST box.
    Yep, on reading again, I think you are right!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by netslicer View Post
    Hi, do all the satellite TV set top boxes conform to the same standards? In other words, can I simply buy a STB to replace a failed one (assuming the channels are not encrypted)?

My father has a satellite TV setup, mainly for 2-3 Buddhist channels. So I guess they are not encrypted. Unfortunately the set top box has stopped working. We contacted the original installer, who was unable to deal with failed STBs, but referred us to another person. But since then we have just been referred to one person after another. We are still waiting for the last person to get back to us.

I am wondering if I can simply buy a replacement STB as long as it says DVB-S(2) and reconnect it ourselves?

The current box has the writings "SatKing 550-S2" on the front. I can find this brand name on the web but not this particular model.

Thanks.
    Yes you can get any box.Just make sure you put the right info in.Go to and check out the details.If stuck, come back here for more help.
    Hope this helps.