Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuner software not choosing new TV transmitter

Thanks

And if anyone is interested:

(Check the tool being used in the picture, page 4, top LHS.) .

(Later version.)
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

uber (03-03-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

lol.... I wondered what Agro was doing these days.

Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Those profiles were the ones I was quoting from the myswitch site which I still suggest uber checks out because it shows the 'preffered' types of antenna suitable to be used for reception of the KJH translator.
    I cant see the antenna in that picture uber has posted nor can it show the direction it is facing, ie Sydney or KJH.
    If Jim's Antennas have installed any other antenna facing the KJH site than either of the 2 shown in in the Digital ready site, then he's been ripped off.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

uber (03-03-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    uber,

Please clarify.

When you say.. "As it currently stands, my tuner has preferred the Sydney transmitter for all channels except for SBS and TVS."

Is that with the new antenna pointed at Kurrajong Heights, with the new antenna pointed at Artarmon (Sydney) or with your previously-existing shared antenna pointing at Artarmon?

Only when you have sufficient signal strength and more importantly, signal quality, should an amplifier be used, only then to compensate for distribution losses, such as splitting to multiple outlets, etc.

Otherwise, all an amplifier will do is make a 'louder' poor signal and can actually make reception worse.

If you don't have multiple outlets, you should not need the amplifier at all.
    This is with the new antenna pointed towards Sydney. I also only have the one outlet running off the new antenna.

Jim's doesn't seem to be replying to my SMS's now, but I'll try and give them a call tomorrow.

@gordon_s1942 - I previously put in my exact address on myswitch and by default it pointed me towards Kurrajong. The initial Jim's installer had some great things to say about the transmitter, then combine that with the fact I was told I was getting a Kurrajong antenna installed, I thought I would be golden. Interestingly if I choose to select the Sydney transmitter, the reception quality changes to variable and there is mention of "Older antennas may not be suitable for receiving the ABC services broadcast from this site.". It probably would have been smart of me to point this out to the follow up Jim's installer as evidence to why I should be pointed to Kurrajong, but he gave the impression that due to distance (and maybe lack of effort to get back up on the roof) it would be a bad idea.

Where do you see the recommended antennas for Kurrajong on myswitch? I must be blind as I'm not seeing it.
    Last edited by uber; 03-03-14 at 10:51 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uber View Post
    This is with the new antenna pointed towards Sydney. I also only have the one outlet running off the new antenna.

Jim's doesn't seem to be replying to my SMS's now, but I'll try and give them a call tomorrow.

Can you recommend a good band 4 UHF antenna to use for Kurrajong?
    That antenna isn't suitable for Sydney from Blacktown either..... insufficient gain.

Same deal, the installer has installed an amp to compensate for the poor antenna performance.

Fracarro has just released a new 10 element antenna specifically for the channel range used by Kurrajong (and other areas with the same channels).
    I can't recall the model number.
    I have just taken delivery of some, but I'm working away at the moment but could give you specific details at the end of the week.
    Because it's narrow-band, it performs as well as a wide-band 20 element yagi.

Otherwise, Hills B4 yagi antennas or possibly phased array or log-periodic from Fracarro.

Keep in mind that at the moment the KJH channels are spread over bands 4 and 5, so a wideband UHF antenna is required, but after the channel restack on 18 March, they will all be on Band 4, as I listed above.

It's best to have an installer test different antennas to determine which one performs best at your location.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

uber (03-03-14)

Thanks

That antenna isn't suitable for Sydney from Blacktown either..... insufficient gain.

Same deal, the installer has installed an amp to compensate for the poor antenna performance.

Fracarro has just released a new 10 element antenna specifically for the channel range used by Kurrajong (and other areas with the same channels).
    I can't recall the model number.
    I have just taken delivery of some, but I'm working away at the moment but could give you specific details at the end of the week.
    Because it's narrow-band, it performs as well as a wide-band 20 element yagi.

Otherwise, Hills B4 yagi antennas or possibly phased array or log-periodic from Fracarro.

Keep in mind that at the moment the KJH channels are spread over bands 4 and 5, so a wideband UHF antenna is required, but after the channel restack on 18 March, they will all be on Band 4, as I listed above.

It's best to have an installer test different antennas to determine which one performs best at your location.
    Sounds good.

Having a further browse through mySwitch has given a good amount of information. Low gain, horizontal polarization, no amplifier, wideband UHF antenna and above roof height is recommended for me. I really should have browsed further through the site earlier!

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry uber, it is a bit daunting searching through the site finding all the details it has and I should have been more specific.

It was only by an others comment one day that I found the part with the profiles and maps for the areas of interest which I feel sure was a later addition to the site after it was opened.

One thing that annoys me greatly is the way you have been treated because if I as a mug idiot 100 miles away can find this information and be aware of what antennas are preferred there, why cant they ?
    I know I am interested in this as a hobby but they are being PAID to know and do a job.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Having a further browse through mySwitch has given a good amount of information. Low gain, horizontal polarization, no amplifier, wideband UHF antenna and above roof height is recommended for me. I really should have browsed further through the site earlier!
    The mySwitch site is only a guide, so that information may not be completely relevant for your address, however:

That's the best advice. It doesn't appear to have been done in your case. Type of antenna, mounting height, position on roof........At UHF, slight changes of position in any plane (up, down, tilt etc.), can cause dramatic changes in reception quality, particularly when in an area of marginal or deficient reception.

Premium Member

Thanks

Antennaman, Myswitch may only be a guide but would I be too churlish to suggest its one Jim's Antenna's installer doesnt seem to have looked at?
    Could I also be so crass as to suggest that seeing a whole heap of antennas pointing 'That Way', they followed suit but with no idea what to use for it.

Thanks

mtv,

Back in town yet? Just wondering about the fracarro model you were going to recommend.

Jim's hasn't called back as yet, but he is still taking my calls so I guess I'll have to keep hassling him. I was going to present to him all the evidence we found here about Kurrajong being a better transmitter for my location.

Thanks

Probably this .

As has been noted, only suitable after next Tuesday, when the restack to band 4 has taken place.

My preference is for , but, as has been mentioned, a test with a variety of antennas to find the most suitable one, and the optimum mounting position, is the correct approach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    Probably this .

As has been noted, only suitable after next Tuesday, when the restack to band 4 has taken place.

My preference is for , but, as has been mentioned, a test with a variety of antennas to find the most suitable one, and the optimum mounting position, is the correct approach.
    Thanks Antennaman. Can you recommend an alternative to Jim's for installation? I am in western Sydney.

Administrator
    Thanks

mtv,

Back in town yet? Just wondering about the fracarro model you were going to recommend.
    It's the one Antennaman thought it was... well done AM

Post restack, this antenna should 'theoretically' outperform the wideband models due to being tuned specifically for the narrow block of channels being used from KJH and greatly rejecting higher frequencies.

I agree, the log periodics are generally a very good performer and I've also had good results with the Hills TMX yagis as well but once again, you need to test a variety of antennas to determine which one performs best at your individual location, as results can vary considerably, even compared to using an identical antenna on your next door neighbour's house.

Thanks

It's the one Antennaman thought it was... well done AM
    Thank you.

It wasn't hard, I have been using fracarro products for the last 20 years or so.

Thanks

Nobody wants to suggest an installer? I'm always keen to get into DIY jobs and learn things for myself, but I think doing it on my own will end badly.
    Last edited by uber; 11-03-14 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks

Nobody wants to suggest an installer?
    I'm based in Tassie, don't know anyone up there.

Try your local paper?

Premium Member

Thanks

Nobody wants to suggest an installer? I'm always keen to get into DIY jobs and learn things for myself, but I think doing it on my own will end badly.
    Before considering DIY, consider the following, do you have a descent ladder to use and are you able to locate it securely and use it safely to at least reach the roof where you want the antenna or if you were considering removing the current one and use the mast for the new one.
    Tools, a set of dual Ring Open end spanners between 10 and 14mm, small shifter (crescent wrench to our American readers).
    IF you answer 'YES' to all, then a suitable length of RG6 Quadshield Co-ax from antenna to TV, depending on how the cable connects to the antenna, ie saddle or F connector, Tool to crimp the F connector.

Ok, then REALLY study the current antenna if you are removing it and remember 2 things, it wont be heavy but they can be awkward and take a length of suitable rope to tie to the antenna to lower it to the ground and pull the new one up.
    Safety, working at or above your head can be unsuitable for some and care must be taken.
    I would connect the new cable to the new antenna, leaving the current one exactly where it is, MHA and all, now mount the new antenna, point it to where you think the KJH tower is, tape the new cable to the mast to support it, plug it into the TV and after crossing your fingers, Turn it ON................

Note I am suggesting to run the new cable from the antenna to the TV ignoring the MHA completely which I would turn off at the power point.

This DIY is authorised by the Ruff-az-Guts Dodgy Group of Installers..............
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 11-03-14 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Whatever way it pans out uber, I'd just like to say, that it has been great to see the support you have been given here in this thread...well done you guys!!

Premium Member

Thanks

Veiwer, one of the annoying features of Ubers problems is the area he lives in would have a dozen or more installers within a 15 km radius of his home who advertise by Letter drop, Shop Flyers or in one of the many newspapers that cover the Western Suburbs and he chose one who advertises Nationally and has all this hassle.

Administrator
    Thanks

uber,

I'm not sure when I'll be back in your area.... I may have an indication next week.

Ultimately, you shouldn't have to pay twice to have the installation done right.

Jim's need to either perform the installation correctly, providing you with reliable digital reception from Kurrajong Heights, which is what you requested and paid for.... or refund you fully, so you can engage a competent installer.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (13-03-14),OSIRUS (12-03-14)

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast