Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tuner software not choosing new TV transmitter

Thanks

Well! Colour me pleasantly surprised.

After a quick chat today, while I was at work Jim's decided to send someone around and I've come home to a new antenna on my roof. Chalk one up to being a pain in the bum!

I haven't had a chance to check everything out, but some things I've noticed:

* The antenna seems to be pointing the opposite direction. I'll take some photos tomorrow morning
    * He said to leave the amplifier running
    * MediaPortal didn't seem to want to switch over immediately (probably due to memory of being connected to Sydney transmitter and it will eventually give up) so I manually switched everything over to Kurrajong. Only SBS seems to be dipping below 100% signal and symbol quality, I haven't tested too thoroughly yet though. I'll SMS Jim's about that to double check.
    Last edited by uber; 12-03-14 at 09:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to uber For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (12-03-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uber View Post
    The antenna seems to be pointing the opposite direction.
    That makes sense to get a signal from the Kurrajong Heights translator

I'll take some photos tomorrow morning
    Please do. I am curious.

He said to leave the amplifier running
    That may be necessary, however, I will reserve my judgment on that.

Only SBS seems to be dipping below 100% signal and symbol quality, I haven't tested too thoroughly yet though.
    Have that problem where I stay in the western suburbs (same translator) as well, it causes picture/sound breakup, however, I'll be there when the switchover happens, so will deal with that then. (I know what the issue is, just not sure if I can sort it.)
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I find these signal strength indicators a bit of a laugh as I can get 100% quality and there is no way as MTV knows by my location, is that possible.
    I put the reading down to the MHA I have in line because I only need the merest hiccup in the signal for it either start pixeling or drop out.
    Uber, so long as the NEW antenna looks like the ones recommended by both MTV, Antennaman and the Myswitch site, is pointing to the WEST (Northwest preferably) maybe at last your on a winner!!!

I am going to Sydney by Train on Saturday so I am going to be curious to see where the TV antennas are pointing once we pass through Emu Plains.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-03-14 at 03:51 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Here she is.

Premium Member

Thanks

Wow, it actually looks like 'Jim' got it right (at last)
    Now the biggie questions, is it pointing the right direction THIS time and does it work satisfactorily?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Here she is.
    Looks like a Hills TMX yagi (one which I had mentioned).

Have to wonder if signal could be improved by mounting it in a different position. (eg: on a roof mounted mast, rather than the cheap & quick 'hockey stick' method used.

Still interested to know the make/model of amp...... which may not necessarily be required.

Thanks

Here she is.
    Looks to me like a clone of a Hills TV antenna.

As long as it works, it should be OK, however, like mtv I wonder how performance might be improved if it was located somewhere else on the roof.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Looks like a Hills TMX yagi (one which I had mentioned).

Have to wonder if signal could be improved by mounting it in a different position. (eg: on a roof mounted mast, rather than the cheap & quick 'hockey stick' method used.

Still interested to know the make/model of amp...... which may not necessarily be required.
    I'll crawl up onto the roof tonight and have a look at the amp. Will the make/model just be on the little hockey puck sized device, or will I have to pop it open?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I'll crawl up onto the roof tonight and have a look at the amp. Will the make/model just be on the little hockey puck sized device, or will I have to pop it open?
    Photo would be good (of the amp & its information) ... if possible .....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 17-03-14 at 02:37 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Should just have to open it. If you are not able to image it, take a note of strap positions, number of antenna input connections, & where your antenna is connected to.

Premium Member

Thanks

As I said I went through Blacktown by train to Sydney on Saturday and back Sunday and saw as expected literally dozens of Combo's facing Sydney with the odd Yagi pointing towards the South east, (Wollongong).
    It didnt matter if it was a single level house or the average 3 story block of flats, most had either a 20 or 30 foot mast but few appeared to have a MHA unless it was mounted below the roof line.
    One antenna I noticed that has all but gone was a phased array with all the elements made of 3/8ths diameter rod rather than tube. As they got older, bits seemed to hang off them at all angles.
    I dont know who made them but they were very popular from Emu Plains to West Mead and Oberon was another area where they were the most popular type used.

Thanks

Sorry for abandoning the thread, please don't take it as a sign of no gratitude, I've just been enjoying my TV too much!

I wasn't able to get onto the roof to have a closer look at the amplifier as I don't have the right ladder for the job. Would there be any other way to get some details on it? Maybe the power supply it uses?

ABC is essentially perfect. I've had hour long shows with not a single frame drop, so I'm a happy camper. SBS also seems to have stabilized, although I haven't done extensive testing on it.

Premium Member

Thanks

Uber, its WORKING and that was the aim of the game.

The most annoying part of your thread was how you were treated by the installing company and seeing what you have now, why couldnt they, after all they are the 'EXPERTS' that you paid to install it, achieve this in the first place?

I wonder how many other's they have fobbed of with bad workmanship and similar lame excuses but have happily taken their customers money!!

To partially identify the MHA, have a look at the plugpack or the 'Injector' that connects to the co-ax and both could have the name Kingray on them.
    The plugpack may also show 'PSK06' or another number with 'DC Power supply' and the input/output voltage and current also show.
    This wont however identify the model of your MHA as both the plugpack and 'Injector' are used on several of their MHA's.
    Kingray is made/supplied by GME and is highly regarded as one of the best available.
    I have one still in use the last time I checked connected to a FM receiver and is over 25 years old.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 01-04-14 at 02:23 PM.

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234