Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuner software not choosing new TV transmitter

Thanks

Default Tuner software not choosing new TV transmitter

Hi,

I live in Blacktown and used to use a shared antenna that pointed towards the Sydney transmitter, but recently purchased a new antenna so that I could point myself towards the Kurrajong transmitter. This new antenna points at Kurrajong but can still pick up the channels from the Sydney transmitter.

My problem is that my tuner software, MediaPortal (using a HDHomeRun tuner) still prefers the channels from the old transmitter. I did a channel scan and it seems that for all but one of the FTA channels it chose the Sydney transmitter. I did find a website () which shows the frequencies I should enter, but MediaPortal asks for a lot more info, such as channel ID's and other info which wouldn't be easy to find.

Can anyone advise or assist?

Thanks!

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

If your receiver can do a manual scan, then do that...naturally you will need to look up the transmitters frequencies.

Last edited by viewer; 15-02-14 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

Let me double check...
    Last edited by uber; 15-02-14 at 08:07 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

The Kurrajong Heights translators use the following channels/frequencies.

ABC 30 543.500MHz
    SBS 32 557.500MHz
    NINE 33 564.500MHz
    TEN 45 648.500MHz
    SEVEN 48 669.500MHz

You need a horizontally-polarised Band 4 & 5 (eg: wideband) UHF antenna for Kurrajong Heights.

Some of these frequencies are shared with other transmission sites, as part of a Single Frequency Network (SFN) which may be causing you some issues if other signals are strong.

I am curious to know why you need to use an antenna for Kurrajong Heights, if the main Sydney north shore (VHF) signals are still good enough to be received by your UHF antenna pointed in the wrong direction?

Thanks

It is quite possible you need to rescan all channels using HDHomeRun Setup utility. I think at the end of the scan when you click finish the configuration gets updated with channels information.
    I only can guess your HDHomeRun either never was scanned during original setup or configuration still holds old channels.

Also, in MediaPortal Server do you have Kurrajong location listed?
    Last edited by fromaron; 15-02-14 at 09:15 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

What make/model of antenna are you using for Kurrajong Heights?

Thanks

Following viewer's advice at I manually entered the frequencies under Advanced Tuning Options in MediaPortal and was able to switch 4/5 of the FTA channels over to Kurrajong. ABC was the only one that I was told I didn't have any signal for, which is funny as that was the main channel which made me want to switch over to Kurrajong as I was getting consistent frame drops. also recommended me to point towards Kurrajong.

I'll have a chat to Jim's Antennas about why ABC isn't getting a Kurrajong signal, and also which model antenna they installed as I'm not sure.

As for the HDHomeRun tuner software, I'll have to work out it's behavior as it is listing channels in a different way. CH-1345, CH-742 etc. MediaPortal is what I record with, so I greatly appreciate everyone's help getting me going there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to uber For This Useful Post:

viewer (16-02-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

If you could post a pic of the antenna and how it's mounted, that would probably indicate what it is.

If Jim's installed it, they should ensure you have reliable reception and shouldn't have left the job without it!

They generally don't have a very good reputation among professional installers.

If possible, ask the installer to provide you with the signal readings for each channel. DCP, BER pre and post and MER and post them here, which will give me an indication just how well your signals are performing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uber View Post
    I'll have a chat to Jim's Antennas about why ABC isn't getting a Kurrajong signal, and also which model antenna they installed as I'm not sure.
    Was a masthead amplifier installed along with the antenna when this was done?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In another recent posting, someone else in the Blacktown area was having 'issues' with the antenna system in the block of Flats they were in and I suggested then they try for the translator at Kurrajong Heights if the unit they were in faced that way rather than Sydney and they wanted to keep the antenna as 'invisible' as possible so as not to cause any waves with the 'Body Corporate'.
    UHF antennas are generally much smaller and less noticeable than their VHF cousins, particularly if its a phased array type.
    Like MTV I have to express my curiosity too as to how your getting both Kurrajong Heights and Sydney (Gore Hill) when they are almost in opposite directions.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Attached is the new antenna.

I was able to add ABC to MediaPortal after repeatedly scanning 543.5KHz, but it seems it and the majority (all but SBS it seems) of FTA channels that I managed to connect to Kurrajong are suffering from horrible reception. Channel 9 is basically a still picture.

I haven't tried Jim's Antennas as it is still the weekend. Hopefully they have some sort of idea what could be causing it.

Thanks

OMFG!

I'll let an antenna professional comment about that instal.*

*Apart from anything else, I have re-read this thread & it seems this is supposed to be a UHF antenna pointing to Sydney North West transmitter. The presence of a masthead amplifier, which I expected, may explain many things.

Administrator
    Thanks

Incompetence on a grand scale!

Another typical Jim's installation!

Totally wrong antenna for Kurrajong Heights.

The pic shows a combination VHF/UHF antenna, which explains the reception of the VHF Sydney transmissions being picked up from the back of the antenna.

The antenna also has a very low-gain UHF section (eg: very few small elements) which it appears the installer has added an amplifier to compensate for the low level signals from the antenna.

From Blacktown, you should not need an amp if the correct high-gain Band 3/4 antenna is used.

The amp is probably causing more problems than it is solving.

Although the pic doesn't show it, I'll bet the antenna isn't mounted in the location providing the most reliable reception either.

My recommendation..... insist on a full refund and engage a 'real' professional installer.

Thanks

Just got off the phone with them and all of a sudden they now knew it wasn't a Kurrajong antenna, but instead a Sydney/combined one.

Jim's now wants me to test with a TV rather than my HDHomeRun tuner, as he was saying maybe my tuner doesn't like the amplifier. He also said that I'll likely get much better reception from Sydney rather than Kurrajong where I am, although the quality of ABC (my testing channel) on this new antenna is worse than my previous shared antenna. Would a dedicated Sydney antenna give me better reception than this combined one?

Jim's balked at the idea of a refund if their numbers when they revisit are fine, however I think I'll be able to get one (from them or fair trading NSW) as the installer flat out lied to me when he said this new one is for Kurrajong. He basically showed me this one and said it's for Kurrajong and then a larger one and said this is for Sydney.

Administrator
    Thanks

What should have happened.....

Any competent installer would have tested different antennas at different mounting positions on your premises.

This would include signal measurements with a digital meter/spectrum analyser to determine which transmission location and which antenna, mounted at the ideal location, would give you reliable reception of all channels.

The fact Jim's selected the absolute wrong antenna for Kurrajong Heights and installed and charged you for an amplifier you most probably didn't need is proof of their incompetence.

If they believe Sydney transmissions are better, why didn't they install an antenna for Sydney instead?

My bet is they didn't even perform a site signal survey.

BTW, that antenna is not even suitable for Sydney, unless in an excellent signal area, of which Blacktown is not.

That antenna looks like cheap Chinese crap.

Thanks

Just got off the phone with them and all of a sudden they now knew it wasn't a Kurrajong antenna, but instead a Sydney/combined one.
    Must be watching this site.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The antenna I was thinking of was a UHF phased array type rather than a Yagi as their easy to instal, quite compact and the rear screen would minimise any rear reception.
    While I have never been to where I believe the Kurrajong Heights translator is, I have stopped at the layby nearby at the top of Bell Bird Hill and as the song goes, 'On a clear Day you CAN see forever'.
    From this 'lookout' you can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Centrepoint and North Sydney/St Lenards area and the translator would be possibly a 100 metres higher than this location from what I have seen when driving past.
    And from Blacktown, the western horizon IS the escarpment of the Blue Mountains as it rises rather abruptly 300 metres above the flood plains of the Nepean River.

I just had a look at the Myswitch.digitalready site at both Sydney and Kurrajong and the map profiles between each site AND the antenna types recommended for Kurrajong and it dont look nuttin like that pic.......at least its correctly polarised so I guess thats something.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-02-14 at 06:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Any update on this, uber?

Thanks

So Jim's came past on Saturday. It must have been a case of "20th time a charm" but when I ran the channel scan again it returned the reception back to the realm of decency. Jim's then proceeded to give me the figures from his machine:

7 - Power @ 73, MER @ 32, OE @ 7
    SBS (7) - Power @ 71, MER @ 32, OE @ 7
    9 - Power @ 71, MER @ 30, OE @ 7
    10 - Power @ 70, MER @ 30, OE @ 7
    ABC - Power @ 70, MER @ 32, OE @ 7

Apparently these levels are fine. I'm a little disheartened at blowing $400 on the install, as it has resulted in basically the same results as my shared antenna. The reason I say this is because ABC (still my testing channel) gets a few seconds of drops/glitches etc every 1/2 hour or so. I know this may sound picky but I've also spent a fair bit of money on a new home theatre recently, so the glitches are a little off putting. Jim's explained the reason for this must be environmental or otherwise (tuner, although I would disagree there) and it is out of their control. I've asked him for what the next step should be, but from what we talked about on Saturday it may be contacting the ACMA.

/sigh

Administrator
    Thanks

A very important aspect is at what point were these figures measured?

There should be measurements directly at the antenna, before any amp, etc and before any error correction (pre-viterbi) then measred at the antenna after error correction (post-viterbi) then another set of measurements at the wall outlet.

What antenna did they install?

Are they still using an amplifier?

Is the antenna just mounted on a 'curved fascia hockey stick'? If yes, it's likely to be too low and this greatly increases the possibility of interference.

Tuner cards/USB tuners etc do generally require signals of higher quality by comparison to STB and TV integrated tuners.

Only 'if' an installer has done everything possible to overcome any likely interference does it become 'out of their control'.

From what you've indicated so far, the installer is still a long way short of having done that, starting the the most basic errors of the poor choice of antenna and mounting.

A pic of the replacement antenna would be helpful.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast