Thread: No Foxtel Signal Being Received

Thanks

Default No Foxtel Signal Being Received

I have been a long time subscriber of foxtel and only until recently have i been getting problems i will try to explain all events leading up to the problem.

Everytime i use foxtel at the moment i receive a picture for about 10 seconds then it dropouts for a minute or two, it is very frustrating and i have had the foxtel tech come out and try to fix the problem twice. The foxtel guy has claimed it is some trees behind my property which is causing the signal to be lost but those trees have been there since i have had foxtel and i have never had a problem. I have also recently changed our telephone number to subscribe to another ISP would this cause foxtel not to work? What are my options to try and resolve this issue because it has been going on for about a week or so now.

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I gather you have an IQ and its connected to the telephone line but that shouldnt have any effect on your Satellite reception what so ever.
    If those trees are between your dish and the satellite, that could definitely be a problem even though they have 'Been there for years' because trees GROW and the foliage could be denser than it was before and when moisture collects on the limbs and leaves, you could loose the signal, the same as during heavy rain and snow does.
    This was always a problem in rural locations years ago for analog TV when in fringe areas.

There are several alternatives, lop the top out of the trees , raise or relocate the dish to a more open 'aspect' if possible.

A rough way to see what the dish 'see's' is to get a piece of plastic pipe 50 to 75 mm in diameter, incline it between 45 and 60 degrees facing the north and look through it and if you see 'Tree's' and not blue sky, then you have a problem.

Did the 'technician' use a FSM to test the signal because I feel that would have shown the signal fluctuations and if the LNB is ok, something (Trees) must be blocking the signals path.
    I had a thought after posting this that the cover on the LNB is in good condition and not damaged or missing because if so maybe on of Natures little critters has made its home inside the feedhorn as its happened before.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-02-14 at 02:22 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Loss of Satellite signal !

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffence View Post
    I have been a long time subscriber of foxtel and only until recently have i been getting problems i will try to explain all events leading up to the problem.

Everytime i use foxtel at the moment i receive a picture for about 10 seconds then it dropouts for a minute or two, it is very frustrating and i have had the foxtel tech come out and try to fix the problem twice. The foxtel guy has claimed it is some trees behind my property which is causing the signal to be lost but those trees have been there since i have had foxtel and i have never had a problem. I have also recently changed our telephone number to subscribe to another ISP would this cause foxtel not to work? What are my options to try and resolve this issue because it has been going on for about a week or so now.

Any help will be appreciated thanks.
    G'Day Cobber.

Trees do grow.

Give us your location, preferably in a PM and I will check against maps for line of sight of sight obstacle clearance.

• 22-02-14, 03:24 PM

Reason
    infraction inappropriate language, trolling

Thanks

Wink Dish pointing must be clear of obstacles !

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber.

Trees do grow.

Give us your location, preferably in a PM and I will check against maps for line of sight of sight obstacle clearance.

Now that was easy.

Max Height of Obstacle

Move the marker to find out the maximum height an obstacle can have without blocking the line of sight.

d = the distance to the obstacle (e.g. a tree)
    h = the maximum height of obstacle measured from the base of the dish.

Tip: A residential floor height is about 2.75m (9ft), an office floor height about 3.25m (11ft)

155.4E
    d=15.6m
    h=10.4m

Options

You seem to be clear in the GAP, but marginal to the satellite.

I think your installer is correct.

Thanks

there is another tech coming on tuesday should i just tell him to move the satellite then?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffence View Post
    there is another tech coming on tuesday should i just tell him to move the satellite then?
    Although members here can offer helpful advice, a more accurate assessment can be made on site.

Most technical people prefer to be allowed to make their own assessment rather than be told what to do by a novice. I know I do.

I'd wait and let the technician make his/her own assessment, rather than you dictating what to do.

Thanks

Wink Tree clearance !

Yes, I'm not clear what you mean by 'left hand side'.

Either move Dish higher or back away from car park.

Back probably best for clearance over the trees.

Back as far as possible, will give more time before they grow enough again.

This is the program I use, you can fiddle with dish siting for optimum position.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There is a simple option, if the 'new' tech cannot get an acceptable signal on the dish in its current location and 'he' is satisfied it is due to those trees, then you have 3 choices, continue to Pay for a service your not getting, ask them to relocate the dish or cancel the service if they decline.
    I am not sure if you said the trees are on yours or another's property as that can influence the outcome, if your trees, you chop em, someone elses, move the dish.

If the trees are yours then I would expect them (Foxtel) to ask you to contribute to either part or all the cost of moving the dish, obstacles outside your property are a different matter and would require negotiation.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-02-14 at 02:21 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!