Thread: Satellite channels

Thanks

Cool Satellite channels

Good Afternoon All,

I am new to this forum, and would like further information and guidance please.

In regards to viewing sports channels, that are predominantly broadcasted overseas; i.e. Barclay's English Premier League, how can someone build a system that will be able to capture the signal and view it here in Melbourne Australia?

I have read that only satellites in the southern hemisphere are possible for me to pick up their signals. If so, without sounding ridiculous can someone capture the signal from the South American transmission satellites and decode the signal and thus be able to view its contents on my TV via a satellite set up system?

Or can I watch these sporting channels here in Melbourne Australia by building a satellite system over $1,000.00 to $3,000.00?

Also I do not want to go down the Foxtel path of subscription, as after 12 months they want their HD Box IQ back if you cancel your subscription.

I would appreciate any advise, as from the people I have spoken with, have suggested that this forum has extremely intelligent people who would have the best knowledge in this field.

Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink European channels in Australia.

The Satellites are in a geo-stationary orbit 36,000 Kms above the equator. Signals are more or less beamed to specific areas in the N & S Hemisphere.
    Generally the same applies to the E & W Hemispheres.

Our visible Horizon is about minus 700 to plus 700 Longitude from your location.
    Money does not cure this !
    There are other options via the internet.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

you will get what you want via iptv, you need a min 2MBPS internet connection and a mag250....

google 'sky tv mag250', there are plenty of websites selling the mag250 and subscriptions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Basically, to achieve what you want, you will need to subscribe to a service, whether it's Foxtel or another provider.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

skyrocket:
    Also I do not want to go down the Foxtel path of subscription, as after 12 months they want their HD Box IQ back if you cancel your subscription.
    I wonder by your quote if your under the impression that the Foxtel STB's can be utilised for other than their services by retuning but if so, that's an option long gone.
    Over the last 3 years both Foxtel and the now defunct Austar embarked on a program to totally lock up their Smart Cards and its STB's so now in most instances, the Smart Card will not work in other than the STB it is installed in.
    Sometime this year a new STB is due to be introduced to either the old Austar area only or to the whole of Australia and I dont doubt it will incorporate even more stringent encryption than is in use now.

Unfortunately the 'Good Ol Days' of lots of FTA channels is fast disappearing and being included into the various Subscriber only providers bundles.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Good Afternoon All,

Many thanks for all your feedback and recommendations, I will have to investigate the IPTV format as this sounds interesting. If all else fails, will have to succumb the dreaded FOXTEL monopoly network. But appreciate what you have all said, will give it more thought, thanks.