Thread: Oatley Electronics Amplifier

Thanks

Default Oatley Electronics Amplifier

I picked up a couple of these
    from Oatley Electronics, just for the hell of it.

If the link doesn't work, the product code is MHAM

I haven't hooked one up yet, but I suspect they will be shit for the price that they are.
    As per the pic, all components are tiny SMD and on the back of the board is a toroid looking coil which I suspect converts 300 ohm to 75. It is connected from the 3 large pins at the top centre to the 2 large pins just below. The 2 rings on the outer edges appear to not be connected. Maybe this is the answer to my question...

I got them yesterday and I can't make much sense of the diagram.

Where do I connect it to the antenna?
    What other uses does it have?
    Could I bypass the coil if using an antenna with a balun already, just by connecting the 2 pins to the balun?
    Also, what does the cap do and what does the resistor do?

Please excuse the shitful diagram, I whipped it up on mspaint on a laptop based on the slip of paper that came with it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Not enough info !

The capacitor in the hand-drawn picture is a DC block to prevent the module's power supply appearing across the receiver antenna terminals. The resistor (could be a moulded RFC)acts as an RF Choke which supplies DC up the feeder cable (coax) but does not dump the VHF/UHF RF to ground via its plugpack.

The circuit can be vastly improved - depending on what you want the thing to do. All wide-open broadband amplifiers have their shortcomings, a little bit of Q in front of the amplifier can vastly improve it for certain applications.

$7 for a bit of SMD soldering practice !